• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Karhartt

Private
Minuteman
May 25, 2022
Washington
Hello, I’m new here. I had a question about what ammo grain I should use. I was gifted an M700 that was built in 2007, it got a few things done it.

I want to get in to long range competition shooting I’m not to sure what ammo would be best for my rifle, here are the specs:

27” Lilja barrel 4 groove 1 in 12 twist, target crowned

McMillian A2 stock, 3 way adjustable butt pad

LH Remington action, Bolt face trued, lugs lapped

Reworked trigger

I bought an Arken scope since I am new to this and didn’t want to spend the extra on a higher quality scope until I have a better understanding on what to look for when purchasing an optic.

Attachments

• 77918FB3-B298-433A-96BF-FCA70B05583C.jpeg
    77918FB3-B298-433A-96BF-FCA70B05583C.jpeg
    664.2 KB · Views: 83
If it won't shoot 168 grain Federal GMM, it won't shoot.

Reactions: Ibex24
Federal Gold Medal Match 168 or 175 is gold standard for .308win factory match ammo.

If you’re going to start seriously shooting comps, you’ll want to start loading your own precision ammo with high-end components. A 168-175 grain bullet would be the ideal range for your 12” twist barrel.

If you’re going to start seriously shooting comps, you’ll want to start loading your own precision ammo with high-end components. A 168-175 grain bullet would be the ideal range for your 12” twist barrel.

+1

@Karhartt might want to consider having that barrel threaded for a muzzle brake

Back when I was looked into 308 stuff the 175 fgmm was the best factory performer at 1k out of a 20", the 168 grouped better at 100 with good lots but at 1k they were landing on the target sideways.

Id buy a box of whatever you can from at least 5 different ammos and see what your particular barrel really likes.

And thread that muzzle if you are really wanting to get into competing and be competitive in it (well as competitive as a 308 can be in the tac class)