• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing M700 switch barrel setup?

kombayotch

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 20, 2007
Looking for advice for those who have switch barrel setups with their M700s. I know there are other actions that are easier to do this with, but I've already got the rifle. I really hate waiting on builds/re-barrelings. So, next rebarrelling, I'm going to have several barrels threaded, chambered and headspaced to the rifle. They will be in different calibers and different configurations, but all will be common bolt face (308). I want to be able to just switch them myself when I need to.

Looking for an inexpensive/simple setup for doing this and a good way to deal with the recoil lug. What's easiest: pin, tack, index mark, jig?

Also wondering if all necessary measurements (headspace, etc...) can be taken off of one of these barrels so that I can just send one to the gunsmith as an example (instead of the whole rifle) if I want additional barrels.

Re: M700 switch barrel setup?

Never will... hate their stock.

K, there's really not much to a switch barrel rifle. The recoil lug will need to be pinned in to the action to keep it from moving. Mine is on a Surgeon, where the recoil lug is part of the action. When you bed the rifle, you will need to make sure the barrel contour at the chamber is the same so it will mate up with each barrel (if you bed the first part of the barrel).
Take the stock out of the action, and put the barrel in a vice and unscrew, and screw new one in. My barrels have index marks that line up with an index on the action for proper head spacing. Most smith's will walk you through what you need.
What calibers are you doing?

Chad

A 308 Win.(or two), a few 6.5's (260 or 6.5 Creedmore, one of the them... haven't decided) and maybe a 6mm and/or 7mm something.

I'm also going to have new sleeves made for my Redding seater and neck sizer that match each chamber.

7-08 is interesting... it is the one I was thinking of.

Can you explain the pinning in more detail?

ive got one at the smiths right now, i just had him pin the recoil lug and index mark the barrels

i went 7-08 and 243

The recoil lug on a stock Rem 700 is not fixed on the action (i.e.- it can be taken off). The recoil lug needs to be fixed solid to the action. Most people have the lug pinned in for a switch barrel.

Here's a video I found that talks about it some. Take a look at some of the other videos on the right about the pinned recoil lugs.

Pinned Rem 700 video

Sweet! That is definitely the cheapest/easiest way to get swithch barrel without doing much to the rifle. I kind of expected the pins to be bigger, but I guess they don't need to be since they're just there for indexing.

So, if you want a new barrel, can you just send the smith one of your other barrels to get thread and headspace measurements off of without having to send the rifle?

Where did you get your barrel vice and action wrench?

I've seen a few takedown 700s that dont require any tools, and barrels can be swapped in the field by hand... though, I have no idea what kind of work to the actions was required for this.

I'll try to find the link again if your interested, but it sounds like you have yours planned out.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kombayotch</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Where did you get your barrel vice and action wrench? </div></div>
I don't own one, but I know some friends who do!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kombayotch</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So, if you want a new barrel, can you just send the smith one of your other barrels to get thread and headspace measurements off of without having to send the rifle?</div></div>

This is the one nobody has answered yet...

I'm glad the question was asked. I've been wondering how this"switch barrel" thing worked too. I've been thinking of buying a .243, and .260 or 7mm-08, to go with my .308

I would look into the Surgeon wrench, $60 from them or Brownells.

This is the best barrel vise I've seen for the money. He'll make custom bushings if you need them, I cut my bushings in half, so they are 2 pcs and easier to work with. I use a piece of rubber glove wrapped around the barrel to prevent marring and it's non slip for sure.

EBAY

I emailed him and got a (factory second) outside of ebay for like $20 less when I got mine....pretty sure it was same as new.

Yeah, switch barrel definitely has a lot of advantages. I'm not opposed to "barrel burning" calibers from the cost standpoint. Its the wait on gunsmithing that really chaps my ass. The ability to have several barrels chambered at once and then change them out at my leisure is the most appealing feature. Being able to dabble with other calibers is secondary, but also appealing.

Thanks Jason!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kombayotch</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kombayotch</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So, if you want a new barrel, can you just send the smith one of your other barrels to get thread and headspace measurements off of without having to send the rifle?</div></div>

This is the one nobody has answered yet... </div></div>

I don't know too many builders that would do that if just for the liability of it. I do know a few BR smiths that do it but they have already cut a barrel for the action while in hand and keep the info so the owner can order a new barrel at any time.

K-

You might consider spending the $1k and stepping up to the Surgeon action with the built in lug, it would solve a couple of your issues (obviosuly the pinned lug). I also know of a few 'smiths that don't bed the barrel at all when using the Surgeons, allowing you to not worry about the exact same barrel diameter between barrels (because really, even though they are supposed to be, are they exactly the same?).

Lastly, you'd have to call Surgeon, but if they are confident on all their actions being perfect and uniform then they might be able to chamber a barrel without your specific action in hand.

J

I use aluminum vise jaws with a V cut as a barrel vise and a few sheets of newspaper to keep from marring the barrel. It's a piece of cake to swap one. I also use the Wheeler wrench, though I don't much care for the Remington/Savage version. A Mauser wrench will work on anything.

Here's a pic of the vise jaws I snapped for someone with a question a while back. These have pulled hundreds of barrels.
IMG_0337_edited.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kombayotch</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kombayotch</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So, if you want a new barrel, can you just send the smith one of your other barrels to get thread and headspace measurements off of without having to send the rifle?</div></div>

This is the one nobody has answered yet... </div></div>

Have Alan & Dan Warner of Warner Tool Co build you your switch barrel set-up on the 700 action.
Dimensions held to the tenth-.0001"-inside & outside.
www.warner-tool.com
Eliminate the recoil lug.

Swapped out the barrel for the first time on the new switch barrel setup yesterday. It was awesome to be able to do this...

I ended up getting the Holland action wrench, it looked like the nicest one and is very well made. Got the Tubb vice and it works well. I used two pieces of leather to prevent any scratching. Hobby Lobby sell bags of thick scrap leather for very cheap (in case anyone wants some).

The only downside to this setup is that I need to remove the scope rail each time because of the pressure sensors on my barrels. Unfortunately, my zero doesn't return to same location after install. Elevation is good, but windage isn't repeatable. Tried it a few times. Would recommend adding a couple alignment pins (or similar) between the scope rail and the receiver because the screws don't index the rail completely accurately.

All-in-all I am quite happy. Pinning the recoil lug was a lot, cheaper and faster than having a new rifle built with another action.