• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

M73 on M1D

Pinecone

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 21, 2013
Was the M73 scope ever used on the M1D Sniper rifles?

I have read about issues with the repro M84s.

CMP has repro M82s that are supposed to be good.

Leatherwood/Hilux makes an M73 repro that seems to be pretty good. Gibbs Rifles is using this on their repro 03A4s.

I would love a real M84, but out of my price range.

Never heard of an M73 being used on a rifle. The cheapest scope documented for an M1d was the Weaver K4 60-B. What is super rare is the 1" mount for the M1d to be used for this scope.

The M73B1 (weaver 330C 2.5X) scope WAS used on the Garand, as well as the M73B2 (though I'm not sure what the difference between the B1 and B2 is. Other scopes for the Garand were the M81, M82, and M84.

Some non-issued scopes were also used. The Lyman Alaskan and the Weaver K2.5

As I understand it, the M73 and M82 are basically Lyman Alaskans made for the military.

I checked the CMP store and their M82 is made by Hilux also. But it seems that Hilux does not list/sell that scope. The M73 is a bit cheaper.

Had to go into one of Senich's books to see what an M73 was. There is an ordinance drawing of one on page 103. I guess the M73 was a designation of an Alaskan prototype. I have never seen or heard of one of these in my collecting experience.

The M73B1 is a whole different animal. This is a Weaver 330 model scope which is 3/4 in diameter and used only with the 1903-A4. The M1c and d mounts were mostly built on the 7/8" tube for the Lyman family of scopes. The M73B2 was made by the French.

So Pinecone: do you have a M73 marked scope? It would be correct.

I have no experience with the repro scopes, but in reading the CMP rules an original Lyman Alaskan is acceptable. You can get one of those for $250 or less (depending on condition, serial #, and crosshair configuration.

Part of the problem is the terminology. An M73 is the original designation for the Lyman Alaskan. The M81(crosshair), M82, and the commercial Alaskan and the m73 are pretty much the same scope and are best for the M1C and are OK for the 1903A4. They are 7/8 inch tubes.

The M73b1, M73b2 and its clones(M73G1, 2, 3, 4) are all Weaver 330C scopes or copies with 3/4 inch tubes. They are not a good choice for an M1D and I know of no mount for the D that will accept them. I suspect you will have an interesting scope eye if you use one on a D.

Get an M84, or a clone, which is the scope for the M1D. It was the most widely used by far, like 98%. Almost all the mounts and replicas are for that scope and are 7/8 inch. A few Weaver K-4 variants were used late and a few CMP M1D came with that scope and the uncommon 1 inch mount.

To attemp to clarify, the M73 is a totally different animal than all the other M73b1 type scopes so using the M73 term confuses the issue IMO. I have never seen a scope marked M73 so I doubt any Lymans were so marked. If a person found one it would be too valuable to use.

The included link will take you to an illustration of the standard US Army Sniper scopes. The pages are from TM9-2200 April 1949. On the following page which i have not scanned is a paragraph on the M84 (no picture). While the M84 was technically adopted in 1945 I don't believe many were actually manufactured until the early 50's.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v21/jgaynor/US_scopes_TM2200_49-1.jpeg

The M73 was essentially a commercial Lyman Alaskan with cross wire reticle. About 36,000 of them were ordered mainly for use on the M1903A4. Lyman was unable to obtain the necessary lenses from Bausch & Lomb so no M73's were delivered in time for A4 production. Years later, (1956) Ordnance issued a directive authorizing the use of any remaining M73, M81 or M82 scopes on the M1903A4 rifle on an "exhaust stock" basis if either the approved primary scope (M73B1) or approved alternative (M84) were unavailable.

The M81 was basically just an M73 with a sliding steel sunshade on the objective and a rubber eyepiece.

The M82 was an M81 with a tapered post reticle.

Real M73 Scopes are quite scarce. Few were ever manufactured and many of those had the sunshield and eyepiece added. The modified scopes had the M73 markings defaced and the M81 markings added.by etching or electro-pencil.

Some Commercial Lyman Alaskan scopes were reportedly purchased during the Korean War for use on M1C's but they are not marked "M73".

The short answer to the OP's original question is any 7/8" diameter scope should fit your M1D mount. But measure the mount first some 1" M1D mounts.

Was the M73 originally issued with an M1D? Not likely. The small numbers manufactured pretty much guarantees they were all used on M1C's. M1D's were more correctly issued with the M81, M82 or M84 (if yoiu go by the book).

Regards,

Jim

PS: The M73B2 sometimes called the "French Weaver" is not a copy or clone of the Weaver 330C. It is a totally different design. The W&E adjustments are annular rings similar to those on a german ZF-41. They were manufactured for US forces in occupied France by the French Optical firm OPL. Based on the serial numbers of known examples it is believed that about 500 were made. The standard Redfield Jr mount was modified to mount the scope. Pictures of the M73B2 can be found in Senich, Sharp (The rifle in America -1947) and i think Brophy. An A4 with M73B2 sold at auction (Bruce Stern estate) a few years ago for about $12,000.

Readers interested in more info on the M73, M81 and M82 should consult the Fall 2004 Journal of the Garand Collectors Society for an artical by Bob Seijas and Johnny Bell.

PPS: Mike raised a good point about the confusing M73 and M73B1 nomenclature. My gut feeling is that the Alaskan was the scope that ordnance really preferred. However, from the get go, ordnance knew the Alaskan was not going to be available until around the Fall of 43. The somewhat weird M73B1 nomenclature was, in my opinion, a recognition of that scope's status as a sort of substitute standard. By that time A4's had been in production since January of that year and shipping since February. As the early Fall rolled around Ordance actually sent written notice to Weaver cancelling further deliveries of The M73B1 (militarized 330C). In about a month or so Lyman had to finally fess up to ordnance that the Alaskans were NOT going to be coming (at least in time for the A4's).

Ordnance had to then recontact Weaver and uncancel the recent cancellation directive. The remaining quantities of the 1st and 2nd A4 orders would thus be filled with the Weaver M73B1 scopes. Since Lyman could not deliver and Weaver was already at capacity and the M1 Snipers were on the horizon a planned third order of 25,000 M1903A4's was cancelled in its entirety. (see Journal of the Remington Society of America - Hansen - Fall 2004)

Last edited:
Get an M84, or a clone, which is the scope for the M1D. It was the most widely used by far, like 98%. Almost all the mounts and replicas are for that scope and are 7/8 inch. .

A real M84 is out of the budget. I have heard no good reports on the clone/repro M84s. I have heard good things about the clone/repro M82s.

When I posted this, I did not realize the repro M73 was 3/4" so that definitely takes it out of the running.

Thanks Jim for the clarity and addition.

Pine, get an Alaskan or clone(M82 repro) and be happy. I would not rule out an M84 since they do turn up for a fair price occasionally. I got a very rusty one, that functions for $100. It is very ugly, no adjuster covers, no eye cup, but it works.

I think that you are still saying repro M73 when you must mean M73b1, as I attempted to point out. They are totally different. If it really is an Alaskan repro or clone it is doable.