• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

M77 Hawkeye

csonics

Private
Minuteman
Mar 20, 2009
Minneapolis, MN, USA
Just wanted to say "Hi" to everyone here from a noob.

I just bought a ruger m77 hawkeye .300 win mag and was wondering what I should do first to improve accuracy. It's completely stock including the standard wood stock so I was thinking that I should free float the barrel to start. Any advice would be appreciated as to what path to take. Thanks!

Re: M77 Hawkeye

Welcome to the Hide!

1. Put a good scope and solid mount on it (Ruger factory rings are very good)
2. Make sure the three action screws are properly torqued
3. Adjust the trigger to 2-3 lbs
4. Try it with several brands of premium factory ammo 165s and 180s.

You should find at least 1 that will shoot 3 or 5 in 1 MOA or better. (let it cool between shots)

If so you can equal or beat that with handloading. We find that the 168 Barnes TSX backed by 77-79 gr of H4831SC with CCI 250s is a very consistant load in the 300 winmag and kills like the hammer of Thor.

Don't mess with the bedding until you are 100% sure you have a problem that is bedding related. (Most are not) Good shooting!

Welcome to the hide! And +1 to everything Mr. Humble said.

Well first off , welcome. First and foremost put the best optics you can afford on the rifle then shoot it. I wouldn't mess with anything else until you exceed the capabilities of the rifle then you can start accurizing, such as bedding and free floating and action work

Hey Guys! Thanks for the advice!

Mr. Humble, is there a good resource on how to properly torque the action screws and set the trigger weight?

Ruger should be able to tell you the torque specs, if not call Brownells 800-741-0015 and ask for tech staff. You will need a torque screwdiver/wrench which Brownells can sell you. The trigger adjustment is probably best left to a gunsmith unless you are an experienced tinkerer.

I dont have many rugers but the ones i do have all took at least 100 rounds before the barrel would settle in. Dont give up on it to early. Lee