• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

M77 Overhaul

coldboremiracle

Freelance Sharpshooter
Minuteman
  • Jul 7, 2009
    Utah, north
    www.coldboremiracle.com
    Hey guys, I know this isn't exactly a hot topic, but I figured I'd share it anyways. This was one of my father's favorite rifles, but it burned out years ago. I wasn't going to let it stay that way.

I do love the ruger m77s and it’s from much the same as you, idolizing my fathers choice. I swapped the sear in his tang m77 and it was a remarkable improvement for 40 bucks, not sure if it would help after your stoning or not though.

Reactions: coldboremiracle
    Shaw does a really nice job working with Model 77’s. They rebuilt a beater MKII in .30-06, rebareling it to .35 Whelen, truing, and rebluing. Put it in Hogue stock. Shaws work looks great and the rifle shoots really good.

I picked this rifle up used at a large firearm retailer for about $400.00. It was rough. Picture is not the greatest but I really am proud of the results. Its a shooter too.

1690554874559.jpeg

If you get one that shoots. I had a M77 in 7mm Rem Mag and that thing no matter the ammo looked like I was patterning a shotgun with buckshot. It was terrible. I had a Mini 14 that was MOP too. (Minute of Pie Plate). Dumped both.
    The other complaint I always had was those damn propreitary scope mounts. Those sucked.

If you get one that shoots. I had a M77 in 7mm Rem Mag and that thing no matter the ammo looked like I was patterning a shotgun with buckshot.

I bought a M77 7mm REM Mag in 1981; I was 13 then. It had a bad vertical stringing problem; horizontally it was ok, but not vertically. I had just read an article in Guns & Ammo about using Acraglass Gel to bed a rifle and that’s exactly what I did. So easy even a 13 year old could do it. My dad was a little concerned when he came home from work and I had my gun apart and was using a dremel tool to remove wood from the barrel channel; his concerns disappeared when I shot it after the bedding job. That fixed the problem to this day. I suspect yours had a bedding and or action screw torque issue. My barrel is looking pretty bad after all these years and I’m thinking of replacing it; it will still group 1.5 moa, but it use to be a solid 3/4”-1” gun. It’s killed 85% of the big game I’ve shot.

@coldboremiracle your resurrection of that M77 is inspiring; I’m going to look into a fast twist 7mm barrel for mine and give it an update. Maybe I’ll look for a new stock as well. Thanks for posting.

Last edited:
    I like your build, but you are definitely NOT limited to the proprietary Ruger-style rings designed to fit on the receiver... If you know a gunsmith or are handy with a milling machine, you can bring that old M77 into the 21st century... I did this earlier this year with 2 of my old M77 MKII's (7mmRM & 7mm-08)...

EGW makes picatinny rails for them, but you have to drill and tap the receivers for 8-40 screws. They are actually VERY well built and fit really nicely. They even give you drilling measurements on their website.

IMG_9281.jpegIMG_9278.jpegBallistic-X-Export-2023-07-16 20:21:01.465900.jpg
    IMG_9282.jpegIMG_9284.jpeg
    IMG_9759.jpegIMG_9760.jpeg

Reactions: Llatikcuf and XP1K
    Don’t have to drill and tap for picatinny

View attachment 8202833
    That was one of my top options when I was researching, before finally deciding on the EGW’s. I wanted to get away from the big side screw design altogether, so I went with the traditional top-mount EGW’s. They had to go to the smith anyway to get the muzzles threaded, so figured what the hell. 🤷🏼

Reactions: spife7980
    Don’t have to drill and tap for picatinny

View attachment 8202833

This is the way. Works well for the 77/22 also and no need to start swiss cheesing the action.

I've never really had a problem with Ruger proprietary rings, they've been working pretty well for the last 50 years or so.