• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

M8 API .50 BMG ammo question

Mumbles

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 21, 2008
Pittsburgh Area
Not sure if this is the right place to post this, but I wasn't sure where else.

A lot of the .50 BMG ammo that gets issued is M8 API from the 1960s, packaged in 10 round individual boxes. I've always wondered what this ammo was originally intended for, since the M82/M107 wasn't around at the time. Anyone have any answers?

migevk.jpg

Re: M8 API .50 BMG ammo question

I would be willing to bet the 10rd boxes was fully intended to be linked into belts of standard AP in a 1:9 mix.

That's been the only theory I've been able to come up with. M8 does come linked in 100 rd cans though. Maybe this wasn't the case in the 60s? Or maybe there was a reason to use a mix of M8 and ball/AP?

Right out of the book, TM 43-0001-27

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">This cartridege comines the functions of M2 AP bullet and incendiary bullet, and is used against flammable targets and light-armored or unarmored targets, concrete shelters, and simular bullet-resisting targets.</div></div>

Remember this was the period of the "cold war" and our doctrine was based on mass russian mech infantry and armor.

Why bother packaging it unlinked in 10 round cardboard boxes though, when it's already available in 100 belts? I guess to supplement non-API belts, as has been said, since there was no man portable single shot .50 rifle at the time. It just seems like an odd way of packing something intended solely for belt-feds.

Thats been our assumption as well when we draw those exact boxes for 107s. One could take and add them to belts of ball as a 1:3 or what ever ratio they need/want. For the life of me I can't think of any other reason to have them unlinked.

C_K

I would have to agree. Add it in to already existing belts of ball ammo. As you probably know API is drastically more accurate than ball ammo out of the Barretts. Good thing as ball was about useless and getting match ammo through the military supply system is all but impossible.

Yeah, have consistently had the best results with M8. Have had to constantly fight the myth that Mk211 is more accurate. Better effects on target yes, more accurate no.

Never seen a single round of Match .50 from the Army.

Only match I saw in my last 3yrs was A136 M118 (non-LR) with lots dated from the late 70s or early 80s (IIRC, it's been a while, but it was old ammo none the less). Then again, our operational load was LC-63.
laugh.gif

....I got out in '08!

When I went to sniper school, we were told the Army tested match .50 in the M107 and got accuracy results similar to seen by M8 API, and at about double the cost. If that was the case, little wonder you don't see the stuff.

There were also scoped M2s utilized in Vietnam ops for long range interidiction at trail heads and other known positions. I do believe Carlos Hathcock fed single loads into an M2 on various occasions. You may not want the incidiary affect on some targets and as some of you have suggested these rounds, along with APIT, may have been utilized to create a 4 to 1 ratio.

Aircraft armament, OV-10 Bronco, required some handloading to belt up the ammo for onboard guns.