• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

m91-30

williamhowell83

Private
Minuteman
Apr 4, 2014
Niagara Wisconsin
I have the opportunity to buy a m91-30 but am not sure on it as far as if i should build it up any advice would be appreciated let me know what ur thoughts on it are thanks I'm looking for any advice that can help me with the rifle if i purchase it like optics stocks ammo anything would help
If I'm not online pm me plz with any information thnx

Last edited:
William, I believe we need more information to answer your question, year, reciever (round or octagonal), year of manufacture (date stamp on barrel), arsenal markings, Izhevsk or Tula, along with many other factors determine value. I have a 1928 octagonal reciever, recrowned, not counterbored, but still learning different arsenal markings. It seems that everytime I google it I find new info. M91-30s are abundant, but getting more expensive as years pass what once cost $100 might sell now for $200. Sometimes you're the statue, sometimes you're the pigeon. I am also new to SH and not sure if hyperlinking to relevent info is allowed. PM me for a website that may help answer your questions.
EE

Last edited:
Since this is the Vintage Sniper Section that drifted to Vintage Rifles, I vote, leave it as issued. Assuming it has a decent barrel. Dry fire the crap out of it (working the bolt) until its as smooth as a prom queens thighs. Learn to use the sights, and shoot it as it was met to be used.

The Mosin is one of the weird creatures that doesn't like its barrel to be free floated.

They shoot if we give them a chance and load up some good ammo.

One thing you might consider, is get a M1907 sling, attach it to the dog collars that hold the Russian sling to the rifle, it makes for better shooting and is authorized in the CMP Vintage Rifle Rules.

As a side note, most Mosin's shoot high. (Mine shot 8 inches high when set on the 100 yard mark (except it don't mean yards)). If that is the case with yours, let me know and I'll tell you how to fix it keeping it "as issued" and legal per CMP Rules.

Last edited:
I have to agree with Jake with regard to customizing,

The Mosin Nagant used to be a $60 fun gun and they are fun to shoot, but if your goal is to make it into a modern sporting rifle your journey will end in disappointment.

This is not a "purist" vs "bubba" argument, just speaking from experience. Here is why:

-The Mosin Nagant has a split rail receiver, so near impossible to mount a peep sight or drill and tap for a "normal" rear receiver scope.

-Most over the counter bores vary in size from .312(good) to .315(very loose), so when shooting factory or surplus ammo your groupings may suffer.

-After market parts are available, but price adds up quickly. You can end up spending more than a brand new Ruger American and still have a 2 moa rifle.

Now if you just want one for nostalgia reasons, try to find an Ex-Sniper (google for details) and then scope it with a PE or PU scope and you will have made a repro sniper. This will give you more resale value and serve its purpose (adding optics).

You can leave a 91/30 as is and still have fun, just keep your expectations realistic. I do have a blast when I take my Mosins out, just hitting steel at 300 makes my day.

Last edited:
I have to agree with Jake with regard to customizing,

The Mosin Nagant used to be a $60 fun gun and they are fun to shoot, but if your goal is to make it into a modern sporting rifle your journey will end in disappointment.

This is not a "purist" vs "bubba" argument, just speaking from experience. Here is why:

-The Mosin Nagant has a split rail receiver, so near impossible to mount a peep sight or drill and tap for a "normal" rear receiver scope.

-Most over the counter bores vary in size from .312(good) to .315(very loose), so when shooting factory or surplus ammo your groupings may suffer.

-After market parts are available, but price adds up quickly. You can end up spending more than a brand new Ruger American and still have a 2 moa rifle.

Now if you just want one for nostalgia reasons, try to find an Ex-Sniper (google for details) and then scope it with a PE or PU scope and you will have made a repro sniper. This will give you more resale value and serve its purpose (adding optics).

You can leave a 91/30 as is and still have fun, just keep your expectations realistic. I do have a blast when I take my Mosins out, just hitting steel at 300 makes my day.

I did look into making it more modern but don't fix what ain't broke. Right. I would like to find the bolt and scope plate for it so it stays more original do u know of any pkace to find them?

Sent from my LG-L38C using Tapatalk 2

If you are interested in following a long thread on the subject of building an economy version of a (modern, non-issue) Scout Scoped N/M 91-30, try the included link, below.

Near the current end of the topic is a summary of which parts worked, (and which didn't and why), with hyperlinks to sources. The only mods made are reversible (sight and sight base removed, replaceable back to original spec), and barrel 'corking', an old ComBloc soldier's accurizing remedy (in this case done with more modern and durable materials).

Link

Greg

Last edited: