• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

MA-TEN build parts list - thoughts?

chittnp

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 22, 2011
Olympia, WA
well, Im trying figure out my part list for the overall build and I'm, trying to avoid buying things twice, and buying the best I can get the first time. Here's what Im looking at so far:

MA TEN monolithic upper and lower set (comes with Charging handle and ambi Mag release, and take down pins)
Rainier Arms Ultramatch 20" barrel
Magpul PRS
DPMS BCG Chrome with Phosphate finish bolt
Geisselle SSA-E trigger
VLTOR 5 positoon reciever extension (AR-10)
H3 Buffer
DPMS Buffer Spring
DPMS Lower Parts Kit**
JP Rifles JPGS5B Low Profile Adjustable Gas Blocl and rifle length Gas tube
Ergo tactical delux grip
Battle Arms Developement BAD-ASS-ST Ambi Safety

** since Im buying most of the parts individually, like the trigger, safety, and grip, Im not sure I really need the DPMS lower parts kit, but Im not sure which parts Im missing.If you have any suggestions about individual parts to buy to avoid buying this I'd love to hear them.

I'm also sure that I've forgotten a thing or two on this list for the complete build, so If you see anything please let me know.

Thanks!

Re: MA-TEN build parts list - thoughts?

I won't add or take away from your list because I haven't done such a build, and won't act like I have. But I do have a question...do you have an approximate cost to build on buying everything individually. I have considered dumping my current platform for an AR-10 platform and considered the GAP-10 but I tend to do things on a budget. So--any idea on the cost doing it your way???

If you skip the LPK you are still going to need:

safety selector
+ spring
+ detent

bolt catch
+ spring
+ plunger
+ roll pin

buffer tube detent
+ spring

mag release
+ spring
+ mag release button

Only other parts in the LPK are the fire control parts, i.e. hammer, trigger, disconnect, and related springs/pings, and the 2 takedown pins and their springs/detents..which you have covered in your shopping list.

Check out GandRtactical.com They sell lpk's pieced out with out the trigger.

http://www.gandrtactical.com/cgi-bi...te=PDGCommTemplates/FullNav/SearchResult.html

Its out of stock right now...but if you're not to the point where you need this yet, you may be able to wait

You left off a muzzle device. I like my BABC but this is a personal preference choice.

Also, the PRS and Vltor RE are not compatible with each other. You need a rifle tube for the PRS or an adjustable stock for the Vltor RE
2 things about the PRS.
1) Its heavy. In comparison to a collapsible stock it weighs as much as the moon. Its not a deal breaker IMO but I changed mine out and put in its place a MOE (with the Vltor RE) and a Larue RISR. Much happier with that setup
2) Make sure you get the ar10 one. The cheek riser is either, further back or its shorter (cant remember), due to the added length of the 308 charging handle

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bennyboy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I won't add or take away from your list because I haven't done such a build, and won't act like I have. But I do have a question...do you have an approximate cost to build on buying everything individually. I have considered dumping my current platform for an AR-10 platform and considered the GAP-10 but I tend to do things on a budget. So--any idea on the cost doing it your way??? </div></div>

I priced one recently using the same parts I used for mine, Noveske barrel, Ma Ten upper lower, Troy rail, BABC and it was $2300 or so

Wait for some reports on the Colt SP901 before you dive in is my advice

Sounds like a pretty decent list other then the few things others have pointed out. Since you are getting the BAD ASS you won't need a safety so really you need your Bolt catch assembly and buffer detent.

As far as the Bolt catch goes I'm running a Phase 5 latch on mine and love it.

I had a PRS on mine but since I didn't need the adjustable cheek rest I used a UBR. For the buffer and spring I run a Slash's CAR10 and it works fine. If you do a search on buffer weights there's a table running around the net, check that out to see where your buffer of choice lies weight wise. I'm not sure about the A5 buffer tube length but standard carbine length tubes won't run regular carbine buffers. The BCG is too long and won't go back far enough to engage the bolt catch. The CAR10 is shorter and works in my Entry length for the UBR (which is very close, if not same, length wise as a collapsible).

Here's the write up I did on mine.

http://snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads....902#Post3021902

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bennyboy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I won't add or take away from your list because I haven't done such a build, and won't act like I have. But I do have a question...do you have an approximate cost to build on buying everything individually. I have considered dumping my current platform for an AR-10 platform and considered the GAP-10 but I tend to do things on a budget. So--any idea on the cost doing it your way???</div></div>

This is a great question, and one I asked myself, and it pretty much comes out even with the GAP-10, maybe a few hundred cheaper given some of the options, but in the end, I figure its about dead even with the GAP 10/LaRue OBR. My build is priced at right about 2650.00 with the assembly and reliability package done by CCA.

So why would I would I build my own when I can get either one of those, known performers, for just about the same price? A few reasons, and really they are just personal.

First, MEGA Arms is in Tumwater, WA, and I live in Olympia, which is right down the street, so I am supporting a local Business, and a HIDE vendor by buying their upper/lower from the Group Buy. The Nickle-Boron, super Whamodyne coating sounds interesting, and I like the Ambi bolt release.

Second, I can get 99% of the parts I want from Rainer Arms, in Seatle, again, right up the street, and a Local business. They also offer a Military Discount.

Third, Im able to get all the little detail parts I want right off the bat, like the geiselle trigger and BAD ASS ST ambi controls, adjustable gas block etc.

Fourth, I get acquainted with the process of what goes into building it. Yes I am going to send it off for final assembly and some finished polishing, but by the time Im done buying all the parts, I'll know every little spring and its function on that weapon, and I kinda like that idea.

As far as the math goes, based on the numbers from their websites, the GAP 10 is 2640, plus the cost of the PRS, Plus the cost of threading the barrel, so right around 3005.00. It does however come with a scope mount, so that saves me pronbably 250.00 in the long run, so we're looking at about 2750.00

The OBR is at 2995.00, subtract 10% for the MIL discount, so ~2695.00, comes with the A2 stock and grip, which I would have to replace (I'm sure I could work something out with the company, but assume some additional cost). And I just dont want the 20 MOA built in upper rail.

In the end you can save a substantial amount of money by doing it yourself, especially if you dont buy shit like a $70 ambi safety selector, etc. But for this build I *May* end up saving a few hundred. The down side is I might end up with a .2 MOA gun, or a 2 MOA gun.

I think I still need a Castle Nut and Reciever plate as well, and If I understand things, which I probably dont, The DPMS pattern build lets me use AR-15 lower parts, right? So I just buy an AR-15 Castle nut, pins, springs ETC?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: chittnp</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I think I still need a Castle Nut and Reciever plate as well, and If I understand things, which I probably dont, The DPMS pattern build lets me use AR-15 lower parts, right? So I just buy an AR-15 Castle nut, pins, springs ETC? </div></div>

If you're planning on using the PRS you don't need a castle nut. The castle nut and egg shaped plate are meant to capture the rear takedown pin detent spring (which is held in place but the pistol grip on the Mega). With a fixed butstock such as the A2 or PRS the user only needs buffer tube, stock, spring, buffer, buffer catch pin and spring. THose are all parts needed to attach to a lower.

The PRS (http://dsgarms.com/ProductInfo/MAG308BLK.aspx) doesn't come with any of the parts you need for installation. You will have to buy them separate. I got my RE kit @ Brownells but looking at DSG they sell it as well. It came with the screw you will need to attach the PRS to the rifle length RE. When you buy a PRS, all it comes with...is the PRS.

The slash buffer isn't needed if you use the Vltor AR10 RE

Yes you can use a standard AR15 LPK. I used a DD LPK and discarded the pistol grip and trigger guard. I prefer the Tango Down pistol grips personally.

I believe when the MA Ten first came a few people at ar15.com were having a good deal of trouble with the bolt catch. But I had no problems at all with the standard one.

So from what Im gathering, the armalite RE tube is the one to use for the PRS. I need to use the armalite RE Spring with that, not the DPMS spring, correct?

With the PRS you need ANY rifle length buffer tube. You might want to look at just going with a Tubb flatwire spring. I use one in my AR10 and its nice and quiet. IIRC they are a little bit higher rate as well and supposed to last longer.

^^^
ANY rifle buffer tube will work. Then get a DPMS 308 rifle buffer and spring. Other options are the tubb springs or an armalite spring some people say they are better.

762sass for armalite parts
JSESurplus for DPMS ones

My 2 cents after owning a few 308 AR's is that my current one (16" carbine build) is the type that I like the most. Don't spend money where you don't need to (DPMS chromed carrier is a waste as they don't chrome the bolt, I stick to OEM springs and buffers, unless you plan on mounting a suppressor A2 muzzle device is fine, etc).

Here's my list to be used with a MA-TEN standard upper/lower set

JP Rifle Spring kit JPS3.5
LPK-LTG JP Rifle
JP Rifle Low Profile Adj Gas Block 0.936 JPGS-8
JP Rifle Length Gas tube GTI-Rifle
Young Mfg 308 BCG YM-054-308
JP Rifle JPBC-EB308 Enhanced Bolt kit complete
DPMS Barrel Nut BL-16
JPS-OSR 308 Buffer Spring
DPMS Receiver Extension# BS09
AR 10 Buffer Slash Heavy Buffer with Carbine Space
block (allows most flexibility for future stock options)
MagPul PRS Stock FDE RSR
MagPul 20 rd 308 Magazines Black RSR
Customized Predator Rifle Rock Creek 5R barrel 24"
heavy barrel matched to Bolt 1:11.25 twist
Trigger Pins DPMS LR-28
MagPul MIAD Grip FDE R#MPIMAG415FDE
DPMS 4 rail Handguard 308 Standard Length Low 4 Rail
Free Float Tube DPMS Part # 308-FF-4SL
MAGPUL (AFG1) ANGLED FOREGRIP FDE.RSR Item
#: MPIMAG414FDE