• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

MA-TEN build trigger issue

dlxcupid

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 2, 2010
Commie-fornia
I just completed my MA-TEN build. I'm running into trigger issues when the upper is installed.

IMG_0650.jpg

Here's the parts on the action:

MA-TEN upper/lower combo
Wilson Combat TTU single stage
LW-50 barrel in 308
Y/M Chrome carrier with JP chrome bolt
DPMS AR15 LPK for the most part

With the upper installed, the trigger pull is very heavy, my Lyman digital gauge says "OVER" on the display. It just feels like it takes alot of effort to pull the trigger back. I don't feel any parts dragging or anything when I pull the trigger.

When the upper is removed, the trigger pull is around 3# and seems to be working fine. I've got the Wilson Combat TTU single stage installed on my AR15 build and this MA-TEN build feels nothing like my AR15 build. The Ma-Ten chambers fine and appears to be ok besides the trigger part. I haven't shot it yet, I wanted it to be safe before I fire some rounds off.

Any ideas or recommendations?

Re: MA-TEN build trigger issue

scott milkovich is working on my maten upper and i spoke with him this week and he was talking about there being an issue with the trigger dragging on the carrier and he spoke with young's manufacturing about it. i don't know if we have a related issue or not. i will let you know when i find out some more this week.

yeah let me know what you can find out.

I'm running a YHM N/M carrier in my MaTen. I have a RRA 2 stage trigger in there for now, and have zero issues with it. Do you have another trigger/hammer you can try? If not, PM me and I'll lend you one.

DSC_5829.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TN-RN</div><div class="ubbcode-body">scott milkovich is working on my maten upper and i spoke with him this week and he was talking about there being an issue with the trigger dragging on the carrier and he spoke with young's manufacturing about it. i don't know if we have a related issue or not. i will let you know when i find out some more this week. </div></div>

ditto. i built a 308 with a dpms lower and timney trigger. i had the same issue and got to the same conclusion as i eliminated stuff. called timney, they said that they had heard of it, said it was a dpms quality issue. didnt have a fix. went with MA-TEN and had no issues with it all.

Not running the same rig but similar.
MA TEN
DPMS carrier
JP Bolt
Geissele SSA-E

But I have no problem but it does sound like it is carrier related.

I'm running a MA-Ten with a Y/M Carrier with JP Enhanced Bolt and Geiselle SD-E Trigger with no issues. One thing to look at is adjusting the upper and lower fitting screw. This should give you some slack with carrier drag. Not saying this is the fix but as I see it, the Wilson trigger is the issue.

Do you have another trigger group you can swap with?

Unfortunately my other trigger group is another wilson TTU. I really like the TTU, I'd be hard pressed to get rid of the TTU just so I can have use the YM carrier. Maybe I'll swap out the TTUs anyway because I know I have at least 1 known good trigger group.

I'll give YM a call monday, I've gotten excellent customer service from them before. We'll see what they say.

Can you post a picture of the top of the TTU? Is it wearing on the trigger and/or the trigger housing since it is a drop-in unit.

Its actually wearing on the hammer and bolt carrier. It shows more on the bolt carrier than the hammer.

Just got off the phone with Dan Young from Young Manufacturing. They are in deed having problems with the AR308 carriers and they know about it. The hammer relief is the culprit. He told me that some guys are having issues and some guys are not. It appears to be related to the length and width of the hammer varying from manufacturer to manufacturer. Their fix will be to extend the relief area roughly 1/4" to 1/2".

2-3 weeks is the projected timeframe to send the updated ones out. I was told to shoot him and email and I'll be put on a list.

Have you considered selling the trigger and going to a Geissele or something?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: at4rxj</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Have you considered selling the trigger and going to a Geissele or something?</div></div>

Absolutely not. I've tried Geissele, JP FCG, Timney, JP springs only and have tried triggers worked over by Bill Springfield. Wilson Combat TTU is what I'm sticking with. Not saying other company's triggers aren't good, the TTU just feels right for me.

Plus, Y/M is gonna do me right buy redesigning their bolt carrier, I don't see why I should switch to something I don't fully like.

Just curious... I'm in the market for a Geissele, but have read good stuff about the Wilson. I just wish they were all cheaper.
smile.gif

Glad you got the carrier issue sorted out.