• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

MA-Ten Multicam Krylon *pic heavy*

alnkal00

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 26, 2011
Oldsmar,FL
First attempt
I traced all the patterns from one section of my Tab Gear shooters mat and tried to lay out the patterns the exact same way on the rifle.

I used 12 colors to try and get it right and lots of polyurethane to finish it off.

Did my own design on the brake,barrel,bipod & bikini covers.

Hunter Green
Italian Olive
Hosta Leaf
Avocado
Almond
Khaki
Sand
Brown
Espresso
Brown Boots
Ballet Slipper Pink
Dark Taupe

100_7127.jpg

100_7130.jpg

100_7134.jpg

100_7132.jpg

100_7142.jpg

100_7155.jpg

100_7157.jpg

100_7158.jpg

100_7159.jpg

100_7160.jpg

Re: MA-Ten Multicam Krylon *pic heavy*

You nailed it on the head. That looks professionally finished.

For rattle can painting that is pretty damn impressive! Good work

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: alnkal</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ballet Slipper Pink</div></div> Huh?

Gotta be one of the best rattle can jobs I've seen....you have more patience than me. Great looking rifle!

damn..very nice job...now you just have to carry around a piece of that camo cloth and put it in your background so that no one can see you or your rifle

muhahaha.....just messing around..really professional looking job

You've obviously got too much time on your hands!
wink.gif

Seriously though - fantastic and impressive job!

Congrats!

Guys, this guy has to be lying to us all! There's no way you can replicate MC so accurately!

No just playing man, that's sexy as hell dude. How many hours invested in with all prep, stencils and paint?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Redmanss</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: alnkal</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ballet Slipper Pink</div></div> Huh?</div></div>

This.

Excellent job. What brand of poly did you use?

Thank you for all the compliments

I put alot of time in only because I only had maybe an hour or 2 a day so it took about a month or so including drying time
I didnt work on it everyday but I did think about the patterns and shading Every Single Day and how it should be laid out and how to fade and all the little details.

Cutting out the patterns with an exacto is what took the longest. Wont do that again I found that I can use scissors faster and that I can cut any shape pattern with them just as good as I did with the exacto

I had a good time doing it Im going to do my Global Trades AK and my CZ 75B next.

I learned alot from this the next ones should look even better and not take as long

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tbone40X</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sweet! Can you show us your stencil? </div></div>

Sure I think I have some of the brownish/pinkish female stencils still in one piece and maybe some of the 1st color khaki and 2nd color dark brown ones Im just not sure they are all in one piece. But Ill post them

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sgtbutt</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Guys, this guy has to be lying to us all! There's no way you can replicate MC so accurately!

No just playing man, that's sexy as hell dude. How many hours invested in with all prep, stencils and paint? </div></div>

LOL to be honest it wasnt that hard to get the shading/shapes right it was laying
out the pattern correctly that was difficult. Too much of one color pattern wether it was khaki or the dark brown and it could/would ruin that particular section.

Also I never layed down a "wet layer" I always used very fast passes and never held the can too close. It would barely spray on/cover.
It has a very rough finish to it.

When I did the fade I held the can about 18-24" away and just barely caught the outside of the spray so it was very very light.

I did practice my shading technique first.

Total hours Id say close to 20 maybe more
I took my time but its been a long proccess.
Picking out the right section of pattern from the mat took a few days.
Its the small details which accumulate to bring the whole thing together

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Proud Noob</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Redmanss</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: alnkal</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ballet Slipper Pink</div></div> Huh?</div></div>

This. </div></div>

Yes you are reading that correctly Ballet Slipper Pink

I noticed different shades of it on a few of my crye boonies and my ebrelstock and obviously on my tab mat.
I have one boonie with a big glob of pink right on the top of it.

At first I thought it was Taupe but it didnt come close I also read other threads on the net and they all mentioned pink too so I practiced laying it down and got the fade/shade right.

AL

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SigKev</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Excellent job. What brand of poly did you use? </div></div>

The black and gold spray can MinWax Fastdrying stuff.

AL

One thing I have found when dealing with stencils is this. Use wax paper and blue masking tape on both sides. Then just cut your stencil and you have tw ready to go. Saves quite a bit of time.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tbone40X</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sweet! Can you show us your stencil? </div></div>

Here you go
I used all male stencils

brownish/pinkish which took the longest to cut

100_7162.jpg

100_7163.jpg

100_7164.jpg

100_7165.jpg

100_7167.jpg

100_7168.jpg

100_7169.jpg

100_7170.jpg

100_7171.jpg

100_7172.jpg

AL

if only i had the coordination/attention span and patience to do this i might actually give it a shot. until then i'll just drool over your work of art.

wow nice do it yourself project!

That is one impressive looking job - careful, you might make some of them who do provide the service a bit challenged.

I know you said you used a lot of poly - what's the durability like? I'd hate to think after all those hours that you'd want this to come off too easily.

That's an incredible job.
I've used the Krylon on a few rifles as well, and while I really like it for it's ease of use, it just doesn't wear as well as Duracoat.

I'd hate to put a scratch into a beautiful paint job like that. I wonder if there's anything more durable than a poly clear coat that could be put on to protect it?

Problem is, most if not all of the two-part clear coats I've seen aren't compatible with the single-part paints and will cause them to lift. Just wondering if there's any other options for ya to protect it.

I think I see a Multicam lawsuit coming on.LOL

Thank you for all the compliments

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rick Just Rick</div><div class="ubbcode-body">That is one impressive looking job - careful, you might make some of them who do provide the service a bit challenged.

I know you said you used a lot of poly - what's the durability like? I'd hate to think after all those hours that you'd want this to come off too easily. </div></div>

As for durability only time will tell.
Managed to get to the range today.
Bottom of the mag well has some chips but thats to be expected.
I really didnt spray the poly/color on the bottom side of the well just for that reason.

Other then that it held up just fine but then again it was just the range.

If and when it starts to come off I will post up to give everybody an idea of how good/long the poly worked.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Wannashootit</div><div class="ubbcode-body">That's an incredible job.
I've used the Krylon on a few rifles as well, and while I really like it for it's ease of use, it just doesn't wear as well as Duracoat.

I'd hate to put a scratch into a beautiful paint job like that. I wonder if there's anything more durable than a poly clear coat that could be put on to protect it?

Problem is, most if not all of the two-part clear coats I've seen aren't compatible with the single-part paints and will cause them to lift. Just wondering if there's any other options for ya to protect it. </div></div>

I couldnt find anything else recommended/used on the forums.

If it eventually comes off no big deal Ill just do it again.
I enjoyed doing it. Plus I learned a lot from it so next time
around it should look even better.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: krm375</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I think I see a Multicam lawsuit coming on.LOL </div></div>
laugh.gif

AL

What Ma-Ten rifle???? All I can see is a camo cloth... WTF?

Dang. I'm impressed. That is some detailed work. Well done.

That is beyond awesome! That rivals any professionally done camo finish I have ever seen. I have a new respect for the DIY krylon finish projects.