• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

MA-TEN vs Armalite

Re: MA-TEN vs Armalite

I think Armalite made a very smart move by offering this Gunsmith Kit. They even say so on the description that "some of the most sophisticated AR-10 rifles in the world are made by our customers". They're right. Due to the modularity of the AR system its no wonder that many rifles are no longer factory stock.

ARs (223 or 308 platform, or any caliber in between) can be thought of as a really expensive legos set for adults. There are so many manufacturers out there trying to get their piece of the market that alot of innovative ideas have come about. Just think about your "parts box", almost all of us have one. It's the "box" with a pluthera of parts no longer needed due to buying something else. It's the nature of the beast, unless you build all of yours and even then some of those parts manage to find their way to the "parts box."

I personally don't think I'll ever buy an off the shelf AR again. For instance, the excise tax involved with pushing in two pins is ridiculous. I will most likely end up buying a stripped lower and parting it together as I see fit. Doing it this way somewhat gets you away from the additional parts that will be long forgotten.

When is started my 308 AR endeavour I originally bought an IRA lower and purchased a DPMS upper and BCG. I sold the recievers in order to get my Mega Mono. Had I looked into it a little better I probably would have gone Mega in the first place. I went the DPMS route and am very satisfied. Mega makes an amazing product that I feel you will be satisfied with.

Between Armalite and Mega, well I really can't say much of Armalite since my experience is next to none. From a builder's standpoint either should suffice. You'll need a stock, pistol grip, handguard and barrel; and the various other parts needs for these components. With the Mega you'll have to get a BCG, LPK and trigger in addition.

If I knew almost nothing of the platforms the biggest thing that would jump out at me is PMAG usage, yes that's a dead horse but meerly stating a fact, I know Armalite mags can be had for decent price.

It really depends on your application. What's your use for it? Are you trying for custom on a budget? Are you planning on Armalite all the way with a few changes? Etc, etc, Which ever route you choose, you'll be able to customize it to your choosing. You don't have to worry if you can get a factory 20 inch with collapsible stock if that's your choice. But like I said, my experience is next to none with Armalite's, but the Mega is an impressive set worth looking into.

If I were you I'd save up until I could afford the Mega Monolithic rifle length set.

Otherwise get a Tactical Machining lower and a DPMS upper, that's what I did and fitment/functionality are perfect.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BCP</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If I were you I'd save up until I could afford the Mega Monolithic rifle length set.

Otherwise get a Tactical Machining lower and a DPMS upper, that's what I did and fitment/functionality are perfect. </div></div>

I disagree. The TM lowers have some of the worst finishes I have ever seen and fit is mediocre. Also, the monolithics are not for everyone as they come at a premium in price and weight.

The MA-10 offers you the ability to use DPMS pattern magazines. The Armalite allows you to use Armaliter/M14 magazines.

I have built an AR10 from a bare receiver.

I am planning on a MA-10 build.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LoneWolfUSMC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The MA-10 offers you the ability to use DPMS pattern magazines. The Armalite allows you to use Armaliter/M14 magazines.

I have built an AR10 from a bare receiver.

I am planning on a MA-10 build. </div></div>

You can also build an Armalite based MA TEN too if you are so inclined.
I built mine based on DPMS and one reason was to use PMags.
YMMV

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rchman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Also, the monolithics are not for everyone as they come at a premium in price and weight. </div></div>

Yes I do agree, Monos are not for everyone, but look into some facts and figures. If you're in the market for a railed forend the mono is actually pretty reasonable. When you set numbers side by side the mono upper weighs in at 29.8 oz. Now if you for instance run a DD Lite rail (18.5 oz) and DPMS style stripped upper (14.4 oz-couldn't find AR10 reciever weights) you're at 32.9 oz. It looks like the Mega Mono actually beats out a stripped DPMS and DD Lite rail!!!!

A stripped AR10A4 upper costs $277 from their site, and the DD Lite is $371 from Rainiers for a total of $648 vs $672 for the Mono from Rainiers..................... Do the math, $24 and change. The Rainiers Rail is 17.1 oz and is $290. Hell a 14 in PRI tube weighs 19 oz with rails and runs you $335.

Now, if the design is going to be LW and no rails needed FF tubes are the way to go as they afford both weigh and money savings. But if rails are intended to be used the benefits of a mono set up, IMO, out weigh any price or weight differences.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: smschulz</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You can also build an Armalite based MA TEN too if you are so inclined.
I built mine based on DPMS and one reason was to use PMags.
YMMV </div></div>

Yes, you can build an Armalite based MA-Ten but there are a few things that you mush be careful with. Armalite bolt catches are not compatible, therefor you need a DPMS style and you can run DPMS/SR25 mags (ie PMAGs) As far as the bolt catch, buy an Armalite LPK and run a Phase 5 EBR latch. I'm running one and love it.

Also, with the MA-Ten the thread pitch for bbl nut is DPMS/SR25 pattern. So once again you have to use DPMS/SR25 spec components. Which really isn't a problem since most aftermarket setups offer the different bbl nut offerings, I would suggest staying away from DPMS brand rails with a Mega though due to DPMS and their ever changing rail heights. But wait, if you get the mono you're good regardless of which pattern bbl you choose, just make sure you use corresponding BCG.

So in a nutshell yes, you can have an Armalite based Mega that will run PMAGs without actual AR10 bolt catch and rail.

I was really thinking of the standard MA-TEN set from Mega more-so than the mono just because of changeability. I can go with a free float four rail and later if I chose to I could get a smooth free float. With the Mono you're locked in.

Change and individuality is a big part of the attraction to the AR platform, at least for me. I can, for all practical purposes, have it my way.

The Armalite kit comes with all the parts, be they Armalite(excellent) parts, but all Armalite none the less. The attraction to the Mega is that it's a scratch build my way with the indvidual parts of my choosing..

It's kid of a hard decision but that's why I asked here. Alot of folks on this site have vastly greater experience building these types of weapons than I.

I was always taught that two heads were better than one so stands to reason, to a certain extent, hundreds have to be better than that. Possibly more confusing but better none the less.

I appreciate the replies and look forward to more opinions.

<span style="font-style: italic"><span style="font-weight: bold">How about some ideas on parts list for the Maga Arms if I end up going that route. As well as matched barrel/ BCG</span></span>

I already know what comes with the Armalite gunsmith kit.

I found a fair deal from an outfit in NC that can get me either or.

I'm leaning toward the MA-TEN standard set, but still on the dang fence.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How about some ideas on parts list for the Maga Arms if I end up going that route. As well as matched barrel/ BCG

</div></div>
Just call Rainier Arms.
They can give you a complete parts list on either way you want it.

I built a MA-Ten in 7-08 about a year ago. Lilja made the barrel blank for me but they offer finished barrels in more common calibers and I recommend you at least take a look at their website. You'd be hard pressed to get a better barrel I think. For my bolt and BCG, I got the Lo-Mass operating system and the Enhanced bolt made by JP. I dont think it was worth the cost. If I did it over again I would probably get an Armalite bolt and BCG. Or, maybe a coated one from a well known manufacturer. When I built mine it seemed like there were very few choices so I went with JP. Everyplace was sold out of the Armalite bolt/BCG.

I built my AR10 lower to my personal specs off a stripped lower and then slapped on a AR10 National Match upper. The Armalite lower is nice but the finish grinds on the casting are not very good in front of the mag and on the back by the grip. If your into cosmetics. Could have just been mine.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: nw1911guy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Is there a way to have a Noveske barrel AND Pmags? </div></div>

I believe the MA-TEN allows you to choose that option. If you choose a Noveske Barrel (Armalite barrel extension), you need to match it with a Armalite bolt carrier gorup. Then the MA-TEN lower will let you use pmags.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Cheech</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I was really thinking of the standard MA-TEN set from Mega more-so than the mono just because of changeability. I can go with a free float four rail and later if I chose to I could get a smooth free float. With the Mono you're locked in.

Change and individuality is a big part of the attraction to the AR platform, at least for me. I can, for all practical purposes, have it my way.

The Armalite kit comes with all the parts, be they Armalite(excellent) parts, but all Armalite none the less. The attraction to the Mega is that it's a scratch build my way with the indvidual parts of my choosing..

It's kid of a hard decision but that's why I asked here. Alot of folks on this site have vastly greater experience building these types of weapons than I.

I was always taught that two heads were better than one so stands to reason, to a certain extent, hundreds have to be better than that. Possibly more confusing but better none the less.

<span style="font-style: italic"><span style="font-weight: bold">How about some ideas on parts list for the Maga Arms if I end up going that route. As well as matched barrel/ BCG</span></span>

I'm leaning toward the MA-TEN standard set, but still on the dang fence. </div></div>
Go to www.rainierarms.com
They sell everything you need to put together a very nice rifle. Plus they build Ma-10 rifles all the time. This is where I want to build mine and I'm very pleased.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tight group</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Cheech</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I was really thinking of the standard MA-TEN set from Mega more-so than the mono just because of changeability. I can go with a free float four rail and later if I chose to I could get a smooth free float. With the Mono you're locked in.

I'm leaning toward the MA-TEN standard set, but still on the dang fence. </div></div>
Go to www.rainierarms.com
They sell everything you need to put together a very nice rifle. Plus they build Ma-10 rifles all the time. This is where I want to build mine and I'm very pleased. </div></div>

Yep. I sourced all my parts from Rainier Arms when I built mine. Even the Armalite BCG.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: R.O.U.S.</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: nw1911guy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Is there a way to have a Noveske barrel AND Pmags? </div></div>

I believe the MA-TEN allows you to choose that option. If you choose an Noveske Barrel (Armalite barrel extension), you need to match it with a Armalite bolt carrier gorup. Then the MA-TEN lower will let you use pmags. </div></div>

That would be nice. Best of both worlds that way.

Rainier Ultra Match barrels look like they are back in stock. 400 for a shilen blank machined by white oak and the way rainier ships you would have it by the weekend probably.

Thanks for all the great opinions. I just sent off my deposit for the MA-TEN Standard set upper/lower. Getting up a list of needed goodies for the build now.

Opinions on those are welcome too.

Cheers

Troy extreme free float tube (very light) + magpul angled foregrip and whatever bipod adapter you want, 16" rainier ultra match barrel/16" select/18"fulton chrome lined, magpul acs stock, geisselle 2 stage trigger, dpms 308 BCG, check rainier and JSE for prices

if you want a heavy barrel the 18" stainless fulton is nice but you will have to have it finish chambered

If you want to go cheap JSE has the DPMS MK12 barrels for sub 200 bucks and I think they have DPMS BCG in stock. Good shooting barrel just *************have them check it for headspace with bolt before shipping**************(important)********

+1 for Rainier Arms. I'm building a .308 and 5.56 Mega Mono upper/ billet lowers for a buddy. The 18" UltraMatch barrel is being dimpled and shipped by RA now. Those uppers are really freaking light. You have to pick one up to even begin to understand how light they are.

Anyone here have any dealings with MR.Jim Ruiz of Predator Custom? He comes highly recomended for the barrel as well as matching it to the BCG.

I am biased Jim did my personal AR 10 barrel and has done 10 for my customerts and has one in shop currently if 308 bolts become availble ever again (industry is palgued with backorders). All have been TAC Drivers far out performing any of us shooters. As a note the blanks have all been Rock Creek 5 R blanks.

I beleve a couple of his barrels were on the guns that placed very well in the recent Alleghany match

One more check and I'll have all my stuff to build my rifle. Thanks to everyone for the opinions and help. Can't wait to get it to gather and shoot it. Just have to save some more lunch money for a night force scope. Any suggestions on that?

Cheers