• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Machine guns - time to sell?

Eurodriver

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Oct 21, 2011
USA
Prices have skyrocketed over the last few years. $21k M16s from just 5~ years ago are now pushing $40k. HK Sears are north of $50k. It's clown world.

Hold on to them as the supply is finite or time to let them go?

You sir are in a unique position.
You evidently have enough money to own such a thing. What will you do with the money if you sell one.
Living in a restricted state, I'd love to have your "problem". Which is truly a first world problem.

I've never seen an armored car behind a hearse.
If you get no enjoyment out of it then sell it to some one who would.

Reactions: brianf
Prices have skyrocketed over the last few years. $21k M16s from just 5~ years ago are now pushing $40k. HK Sears are north of $50k. It's clown world.

Hold on to them as the supply is finite or time to let them go?
If you don't shoot it, get rid of it. I met a guy a couple years ago who had a pre ban full auto mp5 with a suppressor. He said he could sell it for 50k.

I don't think he ever shot it.

two thoughts come to mind - that the owners have to contemplate
1) current owners - will the government grab them? or red flag the owners?
2) future owners will people be willing to pay the high price, knowing the government will grab them and possibly red flag them?

side note, met a guy at the range with a full auto MP5. He was shooting handloads through it, with minimum powder to run it. I had to laugh, but when you have a weapon that loves to eat, I can understand his predicament. (owner was 80 years old and owned it for over 40 years)

I don't own any (warshington isn't a free state), but if I did, I would consider selling. I wouldn't do so enthusiastically, but it is something I would consider.

Who knows what the feds are going to pull next ? I suppose I'd rather have the cash than to have to watch uncle federal drive away from my house with my prized toy in their trunk and nothing to show for it.

Reactions: Im2bent
I'd say sell now... The NFA, GCA, and Hughes Amendment are fixing to get destroyed by the Supreme Court very soon, thanks to Matt Hoover's Auto KeyCard case (and several other cases like the Bumpstock case) that are heading to the Supreme Court right now, and the GOA and FPC's lawyers challenging the NFA on face-value of Constitutionality based off the Bruen case's clarifier of having to prove "text, history, & tradition". So, the old phrases, "Sell your truck while it's still running..." and "Buy low, sell high" should apply appropriately. If the NFA and/or GCA get obliterated by the SC, then price values of NFA items are going to plummet, because new production units will be widely available once again (pre-86).

Personally, if I had any, i'd just hang onto them. Then again, I was born 11 days before the ban...So, I never got to experience the free world. Although my dad had a few friends who had a bunch of them, so I got to shoot them growing up in the 80's and 90's.

Last edited:
Sell it if your not attached while prices are high. Or gamble they may go higher

Either way if the Supreme Court strikes the nfa down your value drops significantly. Or dems get what they want and you can’t sell it anyways.

Reactions: 07SGT4623
I'd say sell now... The NFA, GCA, and Hughes Amendment are fixing to get destroyed by the Supreme Court very soon, thanks to Matt Hoover's Auto KeyCard case (and several other cases like the Bumpstock case) that are heading to the Supreme Court right now, and the GOA and FPC's lawyers challenging the NFA on face-value of Constitutionality based off the Bruen case's clarifier of having to prove "text, history, & tradition". So, the old phrases, "Sell your truck while it's still running..." and "Buy low, sell high" should apply appropriately. If the NFA and/or GCA get obliterated by the SC, then price values of NFA items are going to plummet, because new production units will be widely available once again (pre-86).

Personally, if I had any, i'd just hang onto them. Then again, I was born 11 days before the ban...So, I never got to experience the free world. Although my dad had a few friends who had a bunch of them, so I got to shoot them growing up in the 80's and 90's.

I admire your optimism but I highly doubt that will happen. Just like we all hoped for the HPA to pass - but I’m still shelling out $200 for suppressor tax stamps.

Don’t mistake this for a lack of hoping it will. I know there are a lot of MG owners who want the status quo to remain - I’m not one. I’ll lose my investment today if it means $2500 MP5s tomorrow - or even $10,000 MP5s.

That’s a no brainer.

Reactions: FuhQ and Anb618
I admire your optimism but I highly doubt that will happen. Just like we all hoped for the HPA to pass - but I’m still shelling out $200 for suppressor tax stamps.

Don’t mistake this for a lack of hoping it will. I know there are a lot of MG owners who want the status quo to remain - I’m not one. I’ll lose my investment today if it means $2500 MP5s tomorrow - or even $10,000 MP5s.

That’s a no brainer.
I waited and waited for many years, and it never happened... So when the election went to shit 2 years ago, I knew it was time. Now I'm waiting on suppressors #8-10 to be built. It gets addicting. And if it gets ruled unconstitutional, I'd sure love to get all my tax stamp money back. $2,000 would damn-near buy me a newly-relegalized 4-position MP5-SD, or an M16 lower. 😉

I would love to see it happen, and if it gets brought before the SC, and based simply upon how Clarence Thomas said they were supposed to rule on 2A cases... The NFA is 100% unconstitutional. It has zero legs to stand on. Therefore, they would have no choice but to strike it down. Because they're no longer allowed to weigh 2A rulings on a 2-tiered opinion, where they can justify enforcing or passing unconstitutional things, by claiming "public safety".

Might never happen, but I sure pray it does. But I know a lot of those old Fudd collectors hope they never repeal the Hughes Amendment, so their collections will hold a valve. And that's a sad & greedy mindset, to wish to continue to deny Americans their God-given rights, taken by a tyrannical government, simply to keep your gun collection at an all-time high.

Lots to contemplate here with machine guns and the NFA. As much as I would love to take a loss on my toys with the ability to have many more, I doubt that will be allowed to happen. My bigger fear is that the true end-game is to make everything NFA. AR style rifles and other semi autos are on the short list, then pistols then our dreaded “sniper” rifles. Of course, once everything is registered that is when confiscation would take place.

Look at those pesky pistol braces. Soon as the amnesty comes to register those many more folks will be familiar with the registration process. Getting a suppressor for many at this point is just an expected pain in the ass process but something we have all accepted. We are learning to follow the process and be compliant gun owners. Turning up the heat next will be our AR’s mentioned above due to the “possible high rate of fire”.

Getting back to machine guns; With the above statements I do not expect anyone to come and try to take those away anytime soon. Any attempt to take away items currently in the NFA registry such as machine guns or SBR’s would quickly put a stop at willingness to accept further registration on other items. This would go against the goal of total registration and later confiscation. Heck the total inventory of machine guns in the registry is only ~189K from memory so this would not be a meaningful win. With limited supply and inflation, I expect prices to continue to rise barring huge economic issues which are a real possibility. (the market is crazy at the moment)I recall some deals on machine guns during the 2008-2009 downturn but nothing shocking and more of a flat spot on the price curve that quickly started rising again in 2010.

Gentlemen, we are in a long battle to preserve our rights and the other side is patient, persistent and smart. They are playing the long game and we should as well. Some folks are very upset about the recent delays with e-forms and I could not be happier. Until they can say that registration will be efficient, they will be in a hard spot argue that the government can even handle the task. We are but a bad election/news cycle to loosing lots of ground. We got very lucky with the previous Assault Weapon ban that had the sunset included. Do not expect such an inclusion on the next bill.

Regarding our long game, we need to introduce new folks to the sport. Help other shooters learn to be responsible, be nice to the new person at the range trying to figure things out, not be an asshole and instead kindly offer advice or correction when needed. The more people that understand how firearms work the less voters can be fooled by deceptive statement from the media or politicians.

Just observations from an old lawyer with a stack of forms showing he paid a regular $200 tax on his toys.

I've sold a few in this high market.

I mean they'll keep going up but man, it's gone up quicker than it has in the past 10yrs.

It’s a pretty extreme outcome either way. Either everything worth having turns NFA or the NFA goes away altogether. If the NFA goes away, states will then choose how these items are regulated.

Sell if you live in CA, IL or NY? I wouldn’t. Sell if you’re in TN, MO, or WY? Might not be a bad time

I have not followed the repercussions of the EPA ruling much but I would imagine things will go very similarly for the ATF / NFA.

What is goofy is how weed is the only instance I’m aware of where a state has given its citizens more rights than is granted federally (and the feds have chosen not to enforce this)

Reactions: Texascbr
please don't give that clickbaiting shithead any more views.

I appreciate he's trying to discuss certain things, but the misleading video titles and other poorly-explained material are really starting to cause a problem.

I made that mistake, clicking, yesterday, no more for me.

Keith

Meh just bought a M2HB and mac. Price will keep rising.

I’d love to lose all the value and 86 be struck down. Highly highly doubt it.

Regarding our long game, we need to introduce new folks to the sport. Help other shooters learn to be responsible, be nice to the new person at the range trying to figure things out, not be an asshole and instead kindly offer advice or correction when needed. The more people that understand how firearms work the less voters can be fooled by deceptive statement from the media or politicians.
Been saying that for years.

But make sure you vet those range shooters before you help them. Don’t need to go helping Antifa / other commies.

I’ve been getting as many right minded shooters into ARs cans etc. From giving suppressed ARs to buddies to finding deals here and passing the savings on to new shooters etc

Buy panic. Sell hysteria. If the world comes to an end, you’ll have bigger problems. Keep one for yourself maybe.

IRS will soon tax private sales and computers know what items to follow. NFA database, DMV, etc. EBay has a new “page” for sellers.

N W O commin at ya live.

like most investments choose a strat / price and stick to it

dont chase and dont run once that decision is made

if you want 10k for a item, once you get 10k and its not a bidding war... sell it and invest that money