• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Machine rest testing vs. a real stock....

Hellbender

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 23, 2008
Lebanon, Missouri
I was gonna send my new Vudoo off to Lapua for some lot testing.

But will the ammo that they shoot with my gun bolted solidly to a 5 ton block of concrete really shoot the same as when my gun is in a stock with me behind it?

It won't recoil...at all.

The bedding of the block it's bolted to won't be even close to my stock...

The barrel won't vibrate the same.....

Someone help me understand how this will work better than me buying 10 different lots of stuff and trying it out myself.

I don't think I would, personally, be too concerned about the effect of recoil on the mechanical accuracy of a match weight 22lr.

If nothing else, you're much less likely to find 10 lots of Lapua ammo to test...

I don't think I would, personally, be too concerned about the effect of recoil on the mechanical accuracy of a match weight 22lr.

If nothing else, you're much less likely to find 10 lots of Lapua ammo to test...

I know a minor 5-10 inch lb. difference in the tightness of a stock bolt can change the accuracy of a .22 a huge amount. This changes the way the rifle vibrates.

A simple bedding change or the tightness of a front rest can make 1/2" at 50 yards difference in group sizes.