• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Machining on scope base?

Skyyr

Aviator
Minuteman
May 25, 2010
TN
I recently purchased a few scope bases, a Nightforce, a Badger, and another one from a well-known manufacturer. The bottom of the Badger and Nightforce rails were smooth, with no visible machining marks whatsoever. The rail from the well-known manufacturer, however, had these machining lines on the bottom of the base:

Image 1
Image 2
Image 3

I'm in no way bashing the manufacturer - I'm simply curious. Is this type of machining normal, especially for a "premium" rail? I find it surprising that the Badger and Nightforce rails were cheaper and had no machining marks.

Wouldn't these marks reduce the overall rail to receiver contact surface?

If this is normal, let me know. If not, let me know as well.

Re: Machining on scope base?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Captain Kirk</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just tool marks or galling, it doesnt have any effect on function. The picitinny rails are the critical dimentions, how do those look? </div></div>

Those look fine. My concern was with the underside of the base not being smooth, as it cannot sit perfectly flush to the receiver. Seems like a major detail for something on a precision weapon. Is this not a concern?

<span style="font-weight: bold">And another question</span> - is it common for 700SA bases to have five holes instead of four? I just realized this base has 5.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Skyyr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

My concern was with the underside of the base not being smooth, as it cannot sit perfectly flush to the receiver. Seems like a major detail for something on a precision weapon. Is this not a concern?

<span style="font-weight: bold">And another question</span> - is it common for 700SA bases to have five holes instead of four? I just realized this base has 5. </div></div>

Anyone? =)

My Badger base has six holes total - the typical four mounting holes, plus two blind holes. They are likely used for fixturing during the manufacturing process, and can be used as dowel holes for additional security on heavy-recoiling rifles.

Bed your base and don't worry about it.

Agreed. If you fit check you base, it's highly probable that you will need to bed it. If you do, you will have a thin layer of the bedding compound of your choice put down between the base and your reciever. At the end of the day, I'd be more concerned that my rail was bedded properly and still true (straight) once torqued down, than if there are a few marks on the bottom. Just my .02 cents.

I agree fully with the above comments.
It will not fit your reciver unless you bed it anyway, and if you bed it, the less smoth surface will be the prefered one.

Håkan