• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Machining question Making scope bases

Sidk

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 26, 2009
Vegas
Just out of curiosity, What tool would you use to create the rounded part of a scope base? Just about done with the homemade bottom metal for the 700. Would like to make a picatinny for my la savage. Back end is square but the front is round(I think, on this year). Those big end mills are expensive so I'm hoping that's not what you use.

Re: Machining question Making scope bases

Back before I ran CNC machines I would rotate the head and use the corner of a 1inch End mill. I can't remember the angle but you could test on a strap piece till you get the desired radius. Worked pretty well and its cheap. I'll try to find my notes and post the angle for different radius.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dinc</div><div class="ubbcode-body">http://www.riflebarrels.com/articles/50calibre/scope_bases.htm

Dan Lilja talks about tilting the mill head in this article. I think that's what you're looking for. </div></div>

cool, thanks a bunch. Now to go see how much the end mill is.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jrm850</div><div class="ubbcode-body">A boring head works.
</div></div>

I didn't have very good luck the last time I tried it. Maybe I'll give it another shot.

Shorten the boring bar. You can trig it out or just start on a scrap piece and fart around till the receiver ring registers in the radius. The easy way to check is to lap it. You'll see right away if its biting in the corners or the center.

Good luck!

C.

I'm assuming you are laying the mill on its side?. I tried it upright but I couldn't get the work piece to stop flexing(I'm a rookie machinist)

Yes, rotate the entire mast to some arbitrary angle. Say 30* off axis. You hold the part in the vice, find center and let the boring head buzz through it at the angle. It'll machine an arc into your part. Like I said, you can trig it out to find the arc, but its just easier I think to start small and make incremental cuts till the radius of the receiver ring lays in your saddle.

Lap it in to see if your small/big and go from there.

I'd lap it in anyway once your done.

C.