• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Machining Questions

x ring accuracy

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 28, 2008
Parrish, Fl.
www.xringaccuracy.com
Well, finally have a lathe that has a coolant system
smile.gif
. My questions are 1- I don't want to use the water based coolant for rust and microbe reasons, any particular brand of other based coolants you guys have good luck with? 2-Where can I find the gizmo that attaches to the muzzle to put the coolant thru the barrel while chambering? Thanks in advance

Re: Machining Questions

Other than the water based coolants, a black oil cutting oil with a high carbon content works pretty good. They are not the same thing. And they actually do different things. But you are right about the microbes that can grow in the base of a machine.

Almost any hardware store that cuts & threads steel or galvanized steel pipe can point you to the source of the cutting oil. But the first place I would look is in the yellow pages under petroleum distributers. They should be able to get some for you. Tell them you are looking for a high carbon, high sulfer content cutting oil. Around here you can sometimes get it in 5 gallon cans. But some distributers have a 55 gallon drum limit.

Good luck.

I read in an old machinist's book years ago that a 50-50 mix of kerosene and automatic transmission fluid is the best all round and cheapest cutting fluid/lubricant for general purpose work.

I've been using this mix for close to 15 years in my lathes and mills.

Never any problems!

If you have a flood system, Vactre (Sp?) might work well for you. It's what my shop uses on everything from aluminum to Molybdenum.

If its not something you are going to be using every day, or at least cycling the pump you should use pure oil of some type. A mix of water and synthetic OR oil base will grow bacteria as well as cause rust issues if not kept up with.

here at work we use Monroe "Choice-cut" diluted 20 to 1 with distiled water and it works great with both flood and high pressure systems ,we use it on everything from aluminum to 718 Inconel. We haven'thad any trouble w7th any growth or getting rancid , but the pumps get run for at least 5 min each week. Our machine repair guys pre mix 5 gallon cans for us , they also add somthing like 1-2 ounces of Rustlick "Kill-Cide 700" to each 5 gallon bucket

Mobilmet "Gamma" is a great cutting oil if you can't use a flush setup.\

Midway had the muzzle flush attachments

I can see the benifit to the muzzel flush method in keeping the realer cool and flowing all the chips out the rear of the barrel helping to maybe speed the chambering process , but in my oppinion if your gonna look for a place to speed up the process , chambering ain't it.

If you take your time and care you can cut as good of a chamber with good old cutting oil and making more slow cutts cleaning the reamer often than with any muzzle flush.

OH , here is the link to the GTR muzzle flush deal from Midway USA
http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=128016

Thanks for the link. Not really looking to speed up the chambering, just like the idea of keeping out the unwanted chips that scratch the chamber. Used to doing it the old tried and true method of constant cleaning while chambering, ugh.

I have the GTR system and got it from Kiff. Your reamer life will be longer, tooling and barrel will stay cooler and you wont need to worry about re-cutting chips OR cutting dry. Its a cheap investment and the best you will make for smithing. It will take 1/2 the time to make even a better chamber, whats not to like about that?

my lathe has a coolant system but i have never filled it. i apply cutting oil with wash bottles as needed. in the near future, i do plan on buying/making a high pressure through the bore coolant flush system for chambering.

in my cnc mill, i use hangsterfers s-500. it has worked great on all materials i have worked with. the machine will get lots of use for a few days/weeks and then sit for maybe months or more in an non-climate controlled metal building. there is absolutely no rust on the machine, the paint has not peeled off and there is no bad smells from the coolant. i have heard that many other coolants have problems with the above. if i was going to run coolant in my lathe, i'd run the same stuff.

Heat, Truer words have never been said, I like fool-proof:) and 300, I will look at it as I was leaning toward a full oil based, not sue what hangsterfers is but if I can spell it, I will find it
smile.gif
Thanks all