• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Mack Bros bolts.

XP1K

Private
Minuteman
Jul 20, 2017
Texas
Anybody here ever replaced a factory 700 bolt with one from Mack Brothers ?

I'm looking for information on what all is involved with fitting it to the action. Youtube turned up nothing.

My 700 I just built needs the primary extraction corrected and I'm weighing the options of spending the money on a new bolt or putting money in the factory bolt. 700 bolts are ridiculous on the used market at the moment so I could potentially break even or recover most of my cost on the mack bros if that's the better route.

I buddy installed one on his action for the same reason. He pulled the barrel and adjusted the headspace on a lathe.

The new bolt is a nice upgrade and corrected the primary extraction issue.

Reactions: XP1K
I've done both.

The Mack Bros will give you a nicer product in the end, with more upgrades than just the extraction timing advance. Depending on your receiver, it may require very little fitting. I explained the fitting I did in another thread on this same subject, and my headspace (luckily) stayed within go/nogo. It wasn't hard.

However, timing and tigging your factory bolt is ultimately cheaper...like half.

Last edited:
Reactions: XP1K
I've done both.

The Mack Bros will give you a nicer product in the end, with more upgrades than just the extraction timing advance. Depending on your receiver, it may require very little fitting. I explained the fitting I did in another thread on this same subject, and my headspace (luckily) stayed within go/nogo. It wasn't hard.

However, timing and tigging your factory bolt is ultimately cheaper...like half.
Yeah I got a quote back from Fritz at black canyon customs. Factory bolt is going to him.