• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Mack Bros Remington 700 bolt

opperater79

Private
Minuteman
May 16, 2010
North Carolina, USA
I am looking for a replacement bolt for a Remington 700 300 win mag. The only options I am finding are either Mack Bros, or PTG. Other than that it would be buying a factory bolt from eBay. Does anybody have any experience with either the Mack Bros or PTG bolt? Pros/Cons?

you'd be wise to just pretend PTG doesn't exist

Well, that won the internet today.

05_kermit-fetish.jpg

I have a Mack Bros action I’ve been shooting for about a year. No issues, good quality.

I have Mack and PTG, as well as factory upgraded/modified 700 bolts. The Mack is the nicest of the bunch. It took a little fitting, but its at about 500rds now and working smoothly. The point where it met the top of the action in the rear gave a little hitch on closure. That whole area must be a little advanced for extraction timing to suit any 700 era, but I only noticed the hitch at the closure contact point. Polished some squared edges, and it was off to the races. They even modified their pineapple grenade knob for me and sent it with it on (I asked by email and they said no prob). While the whole package won't rival a good custom action, its the overall best I've tried so far on a 700 receiver body.

Reactions: Evlshnngns
you'd be wise to just pretend PTG doesn't exist
It’s amusing to remember barely 5 years ago when PTG was a very common recommendation here… It says a lot about how the community and industry has grown that they’re now warned against.