• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Mack Bros. Stainless Action

Reaper 31

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Mar 26, 2018
    Texas
    Finally picked up my Mack Bros. Stainless action. Really like this over my blue printed Rem700. I've shot AIs and MPAs before but this is my first custom action for a new project I'm looking at doing. Love the way the bolt fluting and finishing was done (I believe it's nitride). Looking forward to how it will run once it's complete. Forgive the photos if they aren't of GQ quality....

Attachments

• 20210408_143444.jpg
      20210408_143444.jpg
      478.7 KB · Views: 323
    • 20210408_143518.jpg
      20210408_143518.jpg
      447.6 KB · Views: 301
    • 20210408_143932.jpg
      20210408_143932.jpg
      267.4 KB · Views: 300
    • 20210408_143842.jpg
      20210408_143842.jpg
      269.4 KB · Views: 313
    FWIW in thinking of going 6GT or 6CM. I have my reasoning on both and I'm currently leaning towards the 6GT. Correct me if I'm wrong but the 6GT looks like it uses less powder than the CM and the way things are right now I would love to save on some powder consumption. Don't plan on shooting any comps right away but I do have access to a 1k yard range.
    Parts on hand for the build:
    Action, 1-7 m24 bartlein 29in, Area 419 side-winder. Looking at going with Timney's hit trigger, and possibly Cadex Strike Nuke chassis (until I can upgrade later). Will top it off with my PST Gen 2 EBR-7

FWIW in thinking of going 6GT or 6CM. I have my reasoning on both and I'm currently leaning towards the 6GT. Correct me if I'm wrong but the 6GT looks like it uses less powder than the CM and the way things are right now I would love to save on some powder consumption. Don't plan on shooting any comps right away but I do have access to a 1k yard range.
    Parts on hand for the build:
    Action, 1-7 m24 bartlein 29in, Area 419 side-winder. Looking at going with Timney's hit trigger, and possibly Cadex Strike Nuke chassis (until I can upgrade later). Will top it off with my PST Gen 2 EBR-7
    Why not just 6BR

"Why not just 6BR"

Never really thought about that one.... pros/cons ?

I looked hard at 6GT and ultimately decided to stick with 6CM... JMHO, but there's not enough to gain to bother with 6GT unless you've got a couple/few burnt out Dasher barrels lying around to rechamber and give a second life (which quite a few seasoned competitors do). 6GT is almost (but not quite) in the "Varget only" category with 6BR, Dasher, and a few others too, which is problematic these days...

I'm a convert to Sta-Ball, and that's supposed to be good with 6GT, but only saves like ~3 grains vs 6CM , so new dies + everything else to save 3 grains per round, nope.

For whatever reason, 6CM has this reputation for being hard to find good loads for... IDK where this really comes from or how it started, because I've never experienced this at all, and have never had any trouble finding a good load with several different components.

6CM is actually very easy to live with for may reasons: bunch of different powders work, can be LRP or SRP (and LRP's are MUCH easier to track down these days since you aren't up against a million or so AR-ninjas), everyone makes brass and 6.5 brass works too (even 22-250 in a pinch), everybody already makes reloading stuff (dies, etc), and, if you ever want to switch gears and sell your rig you're selling to anyone (not just peeps who reload) because factory ammo is made (notice I didn't say "available" lol).
    6GT brass comes from either Alpha or Hornady, that's it, and Alpha is perennially sold out.

I shoot DTAC115's at 2900-3000fps in a ~20lb rifle and it's soft as fuck, I honestly don't think 6GT could be softer enough to let me see trace or impacts/misses any better than I already can. It might possibly be a tiny bit better, but IDK if it'd be enough to be worth the hassle unless I was already a pro shooter getting paid to do it and I needed that bleeding edge to pay the rent.
    Besides, with the right powder and load, if one wants softer, they can run a 6CM slower to make it feel and perform pretty much just like a 6GT.

Sadly, 6BR is no longer "the easy button" either - there's nothing easy about sourcing Varget, 6BR brass, or SRP's these days (and it'll probably stay that way for the next year or so too, but hope I'm wrong here).

Congrats on the Mack Bros action! I can't wait to get mine. I really dig how simple they are. Most of the companies are trying to pack in the kitchen sink with CRF, interchangeable bolt heads, all kinds of bells and whistles... I just want a well-machined no BS action, looks like Mack Bros may have nailed it.

Last edited:
    Reactions: demolitionman
    OP I'm about to order a 6 BR barrel and I do the same type of shooting you do. For me it is the easy button becasue a year and a half ago I loaded up on Varget and SRP before the election got close. Brass/ dies are out there in stock if you look around.

Varget and H4895 aren't that hard to find. Neither are 105 hybrids.

Primers are shit either way

I appreciate the feedback from everyone. The possibilities are endless! In response to going the 6CM route I do have an excess of hornady lrp brass for my 6.5 i can use to convert. My logic behind the 6gt originally was the fact that I do have more 308 type powders (varget) on hand and I'm running low on my 6.5 stuff. I will be looking into the 6BR now but I thought it had feeding issues?

I looked hard at 6GT and ultimately decided to stick with 6CM... JMHO, but there's not enough to gain to bother with 6GT unless you've got a couple/few burnt out Dasher barrels lying around to rechamber and give a second life (which quite a few seasoned competitors do). 6GT is almost (but not quite) in the "Varget only" category with 6BR, Dasher, and a few others too, which is problematic these days...

I'm a convert to Sta-Ball, and that's supposed to be good with 6GT, but only saves like ~3 grains vs 6CM , so new dies + everything else to save 3 grains per round, nope.
    Thought hard on the 6GT, really liked the concept, and we have one 6mm rifle in the house (.243 hunting rifle) But like you, new dies, new brass, probably new powders, and new bullets (the hunting 6’s just would not work, plus hardly enough to even start load work up.) So, on my new rifle, I decided to go with another 6.5 CM.

What did I do? New small primer brass, 130’s instead of 144’s, new decapping dies for the small primer brass. Still using the same powders so that’s the only saving. Too late now to go back, and the new rifle, as is, is a tack driver. Good luck on all of yall’s projects

Finally picked up my Mack Bros. Stainless action. Really like this over my blue printed Rem700. I've shot AIs and MPAs before but this is my first custom action for a new project I'm looking at doing. Love the way the bolt fluting and finishing was done (I believe it's nitride). Looking forward to how it will run once it's complete. Forgive the photos if they aren't of GQ quality....

Did you order it awhile ago and it was back ordered? Or are they officially coming back in stock?

I was put on a waiting list for like less than a week (this was about two weeks ago now) and sure enough I got the email and jumped on it right away. I been trying to get one since like maybe October or November and was told should be ready around late December. Didn't see any in stock up until I ordered it. I believe the titanium version can be found but it is more $$$.

Looks great for the money I debated on getting one for a custom varmint

I called Mack Bros. asking about ordering an SS Evo action the other day and a very nice lady took my call and explained that they should be running a new batch in ~30 days or so, and then she took down my email saying she would put me on a list to get emailed when they're taking orders again. She didn't say too much, but just sounds like Mack Bros. are busy AF and the action is just one of the swords they're juggling...

Reactions: Redvanes
    Mack Bro's puts out good stuff. They used to make (maybe still do?) the Badger M2008 and M2013 actions among other things for Badger Ordnance on contract. I ordered a titanium Evo with the latest round of stimmy money and it's the smoothest Ti action I've played with (I've handled Remington, Pierce, Fierce, and Christensen).

I'm a lazy ass and just did a flat breach at .780" tennon length ("THREE RINGS OF STEEL" not worth the time fiddling with a boring bar IMO... to each his own) and it seems to be working well. #4 fluted 6.5 Creedmoor @ 20" in a standard fill EH1 at 10.5lb with scope, bipod, brake, mag, etc..

IMO the SS Evo at the current price makes savages, M700's, Rugers, and maybe even Tikkas a hard path to go down. Seems like a great option for semi-budget-minded builds.

Reactions: Redvanes
    Just a quick update, after allot of recommendations and conversations with a builder, I have given the 6BR (and BRA) some thought now. The magazine feeding issue looks like it has been resolved, MDT has an AICS mag that should work for the family of 6BRs. Everyone is about a month out right now so I still have time to research.
    Thanks

emailed Mack last week about an SS action, got an email back saying as soon as i paid the invoice it would ship. Soon as i verified i needed a magnum action and they had it in stock ready to ship, I paid for it over the phone , the lady from Mack was super friendly and very easy to work with. monday the action was shipped to Deep South Tatical that's doing up a barrel in 6.5 SS (sherman super short) for me with the special pricing they've got going on the "hide". I've got to say Deep South Tatical has been great about calling me and keeping me up to date. Hopefully will b hearing from them in the next week with completion date. They know the reamer is only rented and assured me they would get it back in a timely manner saving me extra rental fees. Really looking forward to this action and build. I already have the brass and set of dies from Rick Sherman, necked down and ready to load

Reactions: Flather18
    They will thread in for sure. The only thing I don't know, because it's been ages since I spun up a M700 barrel, is if the bolt nose counterbore is the same as a M700. From what I'm finding online I'd guess yes, but can't say that for sure.

And I guess it depends on what you mean by "prefit". Like a short chambered shouldered barrel that will require a GS to fit anyway? Probably could be made to work by the GS, no doubt.

A remage, where the end user screws it together and jam nuts the head space *should* fit, but again it will come down to bolt nose counterbore dimensions clearances.

Reactions: Mooseknuckles
    Got my action back with new revised bolt. It was 20 thou shorter in measurement than the original that was sent back. Remage barrel was threaded on and head spaced with no problems. Atlease I can shoot it now while I wait for a carbon bartlein.
    930E51B7-4155-45DE-9420-A27B93F92548.jpeg
    19550D04-02B0-4392-A11C-F9687BC62442.jpeg
    C0E0AE08-E5B1-4969-AF02-246C85A0FCE9.jpeg

Reactions: Dooby
    Anyone hear a new updated ETA on the evo SS drop date?

Anyone know if the action tenon tolerance is tight enough for off the shelf shouldered pre fit barrels?

Last edited:
    Reactions: Sogan
    2GOJmjA.jpg

I'm having a hard time uploading pictures but maybe this link might work. this is the update on my 6GT. It's mounted on an XLR Element 4.0 and I had it cerakoted in tungsten. Currently loading up some Berger 108's with alpha brass.

Reactions: Flyin6
    2GOJmjA.jpg

I'm having a hard time uploading pictures but maybe this link might work. this is the update on my 6GT. It's mounted on an XLR Element 4.0 and I had it cerakoted in tungsten. Currently loading up some Berger 108's with alpha brass.
    Nice! I’m hoping the new actions get completed any day now

Reactions: Flyin6
    i'm really impressed with this action. Its really smooth and i enjoy the features at the price point over a blue printed Remington. The only think was i did think it was a 60 degree bolt lift but its full (whatever dimension that is).

i'm really impressed with this action. Its really smooth and i enjoy the features at the price point over a blue printed Remington. The only think was i did think it was a 60 degree bolt lift but its full (whatever dimension that is).