• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Mad House Xtreme Hybrid Comp

cjs88

Major Hide Member
Minuteman
  • Jan 7, 2020
    TEXAS
    My buddy sent me a picture of one these comps and it looks pretty sweet. Anyone have practical experience with them?

No practical experience, but other than Tacticool, I don't see anything performance wise that is unique. It doesn't look like it blocks gasses down to not throw up dust, so not on my wish list.

No practical experience, but other than Tacticool, I don't see anything performance wise that is unique. It doesn't look like it blocks gasses down to not throw up dust, so not on my wish list.
    Kind of how I feel too, more tacticool than anything. Got any muzzle devices you'd recommend? I only have a sure fire flash hider on my one AR. Looking for something for my new one.

I shoot almost exclusively suppressed, so my experience is limited mostly to vortex style flash hides (do not have to time) that are suppressor mounts.

If you might go suppressor, get a mount so you dont end up with the drawer of no longer needed muzzle devices.

If you will nightshoot, vortex style flash hider. If speed shooting and stupid loud is ok, find a good 2 or 3 port break. Most performance is close on an AR, so go for what looks good.

How can it compensate for muzzle rise if it directs gas downward?

How can it compensate for muzzle rise if it directs gas downward?
    Anything that redirects gases to the side, will reduce the effects of gasses going forward that adds to recoil. Most of the good compensators will direct most of the gases to the sides, and some up to counter muzzle rise. It is generally considered best to block gases pointed down, at it kicks up dust and gives away your location.

If you will not be shooting prone, the last is not relevant. There are many ways to tune the muzzle rise on and AR and a break is not the best. Much of recoil and muzzle rise in an AR comes from guns that are over gassed with heavy bolt carriers impacting the back of the buffer tube. An adjustable gas block and lighter bolt has far more benefits than a break that only reduces the recoil caused by forward gasses.

Anything that redirects gases to the side, will reduce the effects of gasses going forward that adds to recoil. Most of the good compensators will direct most of the gases to the sides, and some up to counter muzzle rise. It is generally considered best to block gases pointed down, at it kicks up dust and gives away your location.

If you will not be shooting prone, the last is not relevant. There are many ways to tune the muzzle rise on and AR and a break is not the best. Much of recoil and muzzle rise in an AR comes from guns that are over gassed with heavy bolt carriers impacting the back of the buffer tube. An adjustable gas block and lighter bolt has far more benefits than a break that only reduces the recoil caused by forward gasses.
    That's all only half true. Compensation and braking are two different effects, one being muzzle redirection and the other being recoil reduction. If simply directing gas reduced recoil A2 flash hiders would offer some braking effect. They don't. Sending gas sideways in and of itself doesn't reduce recoil, it's the baffle surface perpendicular to the bore that acts like a sail on a ship that reduces recoil. Gas being redirected is a byproduct of those baffles, and if it's being directed equally left and right you have a net neutral compensation effect. If you have a brake or compensator that directs gas both up and down you have net zero compensation effect, and since muzzles tend to rise and you want a compensator to push it down, a downward venting compensator is useless, even if it has some braking effect. Hence my somewhat rhetorical question.

Disagree on the use of brakes to tune guns also. I tune with low mass systems, gas adjustment, springs etc. like it's my job and all my testing still says a good brake or hybrid brake/compensator is the best bang for your buck for a single component. It really comes into its own with the rest of the gun tuned properly, but if you could only change one thing a brake will do the most. Also, you can lessen recoil through mass/gas tuning, and incidentally reduce muzzle rise, but you can't redirect muzzle movement with anything but a compensator or a tunable brake.

We can split hairs and turn this into a physics class discussion, but what I said is accurate, especially when trying to keep the expectation simple, I was.

The context was the helical break posted with internal chamber(s) for an AR.

Nothing I posted is anywhere near a serious physics discussion. Never saw the OP say we had to keep it simple either. I still don't know what a break is as it relates to firearms. I do know what a brake is, and that is not it. It's supposed to be a compensator.