• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Made a careless dumb mistake yesterday!

Steel+Killer

Killing one steel plate at a time!
Minuteman
  • May 27, 2014
    32.75259713494653, -79.87485679548313
    So I headed out to the range yesterday to run some rounds across the Magneto Speed on my AI AX with the 6.5CM and 308 barrels. I stopped at the gun store on the way to see what factory ammo they had available for the 6.5CM I normally shoot 130gr or heavier, but I was looking for something lighter just for the hell of it. I saw a box of Hornady 6.5CM 108gr ELD sitting on the shelf......I said "I didn't know Hornady made a 108gr 6.5CM round cool I will get a box and see what they do" Get to the range take the first shot and I was amazed at how little recoil there was, but disappointed that they were only 2200 FPS man I thought maybe that was a dud I will take another shot again great recoil poor velocity......LOL took a third shot same thing and they weren't grouping worth a shit either.

I grabbed the box to look at what the velocity is supposed to be and realized Hornady doesn't make a 108gr 6.5CM round......BUT THEY DO MAKE A 108GR 6MM CM ROUND....... :confused: I must of had tunnel vision when I picked up the box damn I could have sworn it said 6.5CM and even loading the magazine I didn't realize they were slightly smaller.

Sooo.......I would assume you’re barrel is fucked up?

I have a 6 x 47L and don't plan on doing anything in 6.5, for a lot of the same reasons.

Stupid question; Is the 6.0CM and the 6.5CM headstamped different/uniquely ? (I ask because my 6 x 47L is necked down 6.5L headstamped brass)

Sooo.......I would assume you’re barrel is fucked up?
    No thank god I loaded some actual 6.5CM and it was back to shooting 1/2 to 3/4 MOA.....thank you Jesus....LOL

Nope, he just fire-formed a 6.5 case.
    Correct I took the empty cases and they are almost identical to a fired 6.5CM case.

Last edited:
    Did something similar once. Took a couple of out of town business guests to the local pistol range. Took my S&W 4506 and 1006 and rented two lanes, one for each gun/ammo and we switched off.

When it was my turn to shoot my .45 all was well for the first 7 rounds. The last round definitely was not. Don’t know how it happened but that last round was a 10mm round. Case split down the side formed to the chamber but did eject and cycle properly. The round was even still in the 9 ring at 25 yards, although it did go through sideways.

I have since runs thousands of rounds though my 4506 with out any issues. I doubt anything short of rifle power in a cartridge would hurt that tank of a pistol.

Oh and I also learned to always load your own magazines…….

Gald you and your barrel are ok.

Reactions: Steel+Killer
    My buddy did this exact same thing last range trip. Box of ammo was given to him by a friend who was trying to be nice and hook him up with free ammo. My friend isn't well versed in all the calibers out there, he had no idea a 6 Creedmoor existed. He shot half a box and was confused why he wasn't hitting steel anymore so he called me over to help him troubleshoot. I saw the box sitting on the bench and had a big facepalm moment.

This is what happens when you shoot 9mm in a 40 Cal gun

Attachments

• IMG_20190609_113439769.jpg
      IMG_20190609_113439769.jpg
      312.7 KB · Views: 168
    I once opened a box of .45 ACP (50 ct.) to find 49 .45’s and one .40 S&W. I know it came from the factory that way because I was an FFL holder, at the time, and it was a box that came directly from a distributor in a sealed case. It always pays to look before you load.

I’m disappointed :(
    Pretty weak fail.
    You can do better!

You should post the speeds on the 6CM thread without mentioning actual chambering to fluff some feathers.

• Love
    Reactions: clcustom1911
    I’d have to assume some suppressors have been taken out making similar mistakes

I bought a box of Remington match 308 a few years ago and in the middle of the box was a 6.5 cm. Luckily I caught it when I loaded the mag

I’d have to assume some suppressors have been taken out making similar mistakes

A friend sent a .260 round through a .308 barrel with a suppressor mounted. It took a little bite out of one baffle and didn't even hit the end cap somehow. Suppressor works just as good as always. Could have been catastrophic.

Let a friend use my range when I wasn’t home.
    Calls me to tell me he can’t get his savage 17hmr to even hit paper.
    Week before him and I was shooting same rifle, little groups and 75 yards.
    Couple weeks later he stopped in and told me what had happened.
    He has two of these savage package rifles.
    Both identical, synthetic stock accutrigger junk scope.
    One 17hmr the other 22 magnum.
    You can guess the rest.
    He was seriously embarrassed.

Buddy of mine tried shooting 300PRC through his 338LM the other day. Didn't work. Luckily it was so loose in the chamber that the firing pin didn't hit. Thing is, he doesn't even own a 300PRC! He just bought a box of ammo to see if it would fit the RPR 338 bolt so he could rebarrel the 338 to 300PRC since Ruger won't sell bolts separately.

• Wow
    Reactions: Steel head
    So I headed out to the range yesterday to run some rounds across the Magneto Speed on my AI AX with the 6.5CM and 308 barrels. I stopped at the gun store on the way to see what factory ammo they had available for the 6.5CM I normally shoot 130gr or heavier, but I was looking for something lighter just for the hell of it. I saw a box of Hornady 6.5CM 108gr ELD sitting on the shelf......I said "I didn't know Hornady made a 108gr 6.5CM round cool I will get a box and see what they do" Get to the range take the first shot and I was amazed at how little recoil there was, but disappointed that they were only 2200 FPS man I thought maybe that was a dud I will take another shot again great recoil poor velocity......LOL took a third shot same thing and they weren't grouping worth a shit either.

I grabbed the box to look at what the velocity is supposed to be and realized Hornady doesn't make a 108gr 6.5CM round......BUT THEY DO MAKE A 108GR 6MM CM ROUND....... :confused: I must of had tunnel vision when I picked up the box damn I could have sworn it said 6.5CM and even loading the magazine I didn't realize they were slightly smaller.
    Maybe Hornady should change the color, or font, or something. I was looking for a lighter bullet for my 6.5 Grendel and found a box of 6.5 108 ELD-Ms at Cabelas. I said "I didn't know they made a 6.5 108" and bought them. I now have a box of 6mm 108 grain projectiles, but no 6mm firearm in any chambering. Maybe I'll save my lunch money and then order a 6mm Pred from ar15 performance. I've got the 224 pred already. Make it a full set...

Reactions: Steel+Killer
    Stupid question; Is the 6.0CM and the 6.5CM headstamped different/uniquely ? (I ask because my 6 x 47L is necked down 6.5L headstamped brass)

Factory loaded ammunition has to be made with cases headstamped with the correct caliber. It's up to you to read the head stamp.

Man! I’m sure that has happened a lot more than we care to have admit!
    In hopes of avoiding that from happening, I try to buy a different ammo brand per caliber, if I can help it - unless shooting reloads.

I was out at the range last year and saw a couple of fired cases on the ground that didn't appear to have much neck. I picked them up and saw the headstamp - .308 - but it was clear they have been fired in something like a .30-06. I looked around a little more and there were something like 15 on the ground. Someone had fired nearly a box of .308 through a .30-06. Glad he wasn't shooting a .270!

I was out at the range last year and saw a couple of fired cases on the ground that didn't appear to have much neck. I picked them up and saw the headstamp - .308 - but it was clear they have been fired in something like a .30-06. I looked around a little more and there were something like 15 on the ground. Someone had fired nearly a box of .308 through a .30-06. Glad he wasn't shooting a .270!
    He probably heard somewhere that SMKs don’t mind a bit of jump...

I seen a guy at my range do that with a 308 in an 03 springfield that was 30-06 and I just shook my head.

Whatever you do, dont ever put a 40 in a 45. Thays how barrels fail in a catastrophic manner. Bad bad bad

Had a 10mm that got into my 45 ammo somehow and shot it out of my 1911. Didn't know it until I couldn't figure out why it wouldn't extract. Didn't do any damage to the gun.

Had a 10mm that got into my 45 ammo somehow and shot it out of my 1911. Didn't know it until I couldn't figure out why it wouldn't extract. Didn't do any damage to the gun.
    Damn. Good on you. I've seen the aftermath of split barrels, etc. No bueno