• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Made some 2000 yard hits today with 7wsm

hill billy

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 7, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
Some friends and I put up a target today in the Ca desert at 2050 yards. Didn't think I was going to have much luck at that distance but it didn't do too badly

3-5'x2' pieces of steel we welded together. Six shots in about 18" of vert, the wind was murder. 85 MOA with 2 left to give in my NF and I ran out of wind travel and was holding over still.

IMG_0115-1.jpg

Looking back from the target to a 40' 5th wheel

IMG_01092.jpg

IMG_0112.jpg

Also shot at it with this 99 in .416

IMG_0116.jpg

Re: Made some 2000 yard hits today with 7wsm

Looks like fun nice shooting. Can you tell me more on how the 416 is shooting at those distances?

I got behind the .416 when the owner had gotten it close the day before we put up the target so I didn't really know how much it took to get to that point. I made the first shot and it landed a good hundred feet or so to the right and it took me at least 20 MOA of wind to get it on target. I then left so I didn't see it's up close effect on the steel, sorry. I will say it definitely hit with a lot more energy than the 7 on the steel. The only way we could really tell about the hits with the 7 was the lack of any hit in the dirt. When the .416 hit the steel it made smoke and splatter. I had a really hard time keeping the 7 on the steel. It took me about 20 rounds to get on target and then the wind was so bad, the seven hits you see were all I got out of the remaining 20 rounds I shot at it.

The .416 seemed to have a little less trouble but it was still being blown around pretty good.

I didn't really enjoy shooting it. The Barrett brake directs the blast right into your face when shooting. The recoil is fine, it just needs a different style brake.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MontanaMarine</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Looks like fun.

What load were you shooting in the 7 WSM? </div></div>66.5 gr of RL25 under a 175 SMK. I had the Bergers, I wish I had loaded them instead.

The Berger's probably would have saved some windage.

The SMKs are reputed to hold stability very well through the transonic region.

It would be interesting to see how they shot side by side on same day, same conditions, that far out.

Not sure but I bet the wind had a much larger effect on them after they were subsonic. It's interesting that they remained reasonably stable for another 300 yards after doing so.

Reasonably stable?! Look at the vertical! Not being able to spot hits and wind? I say you did awesome! That is some good shooting right there folks.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hill billy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Not sure but I bet the wind had a much larger effect on them after they were subsonic. It.s interestingthat they remained reasonably stable for another 300 yards after doing so. </div></div>

hill billy,

What is the elevation/B.P. there?

We've seen outstanding performance from 208 Amax's up to 500 yds. (so far) past transonic (actually quite a bit further with MM's .308. Not quite sure where that goes transonic). Bohem told me, IIRC, that the transition from SS to subsonic is not as dramatic as elevation increases and air thins. We're shooting at roughly 4000' ASL/25.5 inHG.

John

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jrob300</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hill billy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Not sure but I bet the wind had a much larger effect on them after they were subsonic. It.s interestingthat they remained reasonably stable for another 300 yards after doing so. </div></div>

hill billy,

What is the elevation/B.P. there?

We've seen outstanding performance from 208 Amax's up to 500 yds. (so far) past transonic (actually quite a bit further with MM's .308. Not quite sure where that goes transonic). Bohem told me, IIRC, that the transition from SS to subsonic is not as dramatic as elevation increases and air thins. We're shooting at roughly 4000' ASL/25.5 inHG.

John </div></div>I am not sure as we didn't bring anything to check but I would guess around 4000 ft. I could go check my GPS, I guess.

Nice shooting. Congrats on the hits. Very impressive.
Semper Fi

I was in the same area on the same day doing some shooting to a mile and the density altitude was between 3000 and 3500 feet.