• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Made some hits @ 2000 yds.

Bigwheels

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
  • Jun 16, 2007
    Anacortes WA
    I had 10 rnds left to try some long shots yesterday, & decided to try 2000 yds. It took the first 5 to get close, & the last five I went 2 about 3 ft in front of the target, 2 hits, & missed by an inch. I was all alone. I wish I had a spotter with me, I may have been able to get more rnds on the target.
    Conditions were:
    Wind-variable from right to left @ 1-4 mph.
    Temp-75*
    Baro-28.27" hg station psi.
    Humidity-50%
    Rifle 300 Win Mag by Montana Rifle Co.
    26" X 1 in 10
    NF 5.5-22 X 56 NP-R1
    Win brass
    208 A-Max Mollied
    78.6gr. H-1000
    3.635" COAL 2950 MV
    Target is 12" X 18" mild steel silhoette.
    http://s40.photobucket.com/albums/e220/maryroal1/?action=view&current=P1010006.jpg

Re: Made some hits @ 2000 yds.

Good shooting, I bet that was fun! I have never got to stretch out past 1100 yards.

That's damn impressive for a 300 win mag. Interestingly, I will be getting my GAP rebarrel 300 win mag soon. Will see how far I push that 208 AMAX bullet.

I needed 89.5 moa. I dialed up 83.5 on the scope, & held over the last 6 moa. The light wind was the real issue. I think I was @ 4 moa for windage for a 2-3 mph crosswind. I was impressed that my FFS software was only .5 moa off. I was also impressed that the 208 A-Max traveled on the predicted trajectory through trans-sonic to hit in a group @ that range. Next time I'm bringing my full size target, & a spotter to see what kind of grouping I can really achieve. I'd also love a 1st. rnd. hit too, but I'll stop dreaming now.

I was lucky to find this spot. I was up on my usual spot, & once they logged the lower section, I was able to see another logging rd. I knew the rd was there but never thought to see how far it was. I used a reflector with my Swaro LRF, & got 1980yds. I set my target up a ways back farther, & I had 2K. Verified with google earth.
    Needless to say I'm happy about that group. I tried a couple times during the rainy season, but I couldn't see where they were going. Too wet. This time I was finally able to see dust, & walked in on it.

nice shooting

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bigwheels</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I needed 89.5 moa. I dialed up 83.5 on the scope, & held over the last 6 moa. The light wind was the real issue. I think I was @ 4 moa for windage for a 2-3 mph crosswind. I was impressed that my FFS software was only .5 moa off. I was also impressed that the 208 A-Max traveled on the predicted trajectory through trans-sonic to hit in a group @ that range. Next time I'm bringing my full size target, & a spotter to see what kind of grouping I can really achieve. I'd also love a 1st. rnd. hit too, but I'll stop dreaming now. </div></div>
    About what distance do you think it went sub-sonic...1650 yards?

Wow! nice job.. I just pushed my .300 WM to 1,550 and thought I was pushing it to the edge... 2k!! damn.

any updates? you ever make it back out with a spotter?

I haven't had the chance to get a spotter out there yet. Weather, & scheduling issues. I'll try to get someone out this week or next. The weather needs to cooperate too. Been too cloudy for the last week. Sucks to have clear skys where you fire from, & it's pouring rain @ the target, & you can't even see it.

I shot my GAP 300 WM at 1760yds this past week. first time for me. I had to shoot across a river to a dirt/rock bank to see my rounds impact. lots of fun, my wife got video of my shot complete with bullet trace.

I was shooting a 200gr SMK with 69gr Data 86.
    22.6 mils of elev.
    1.4 mils of wind

[img:center] [/img]

Good shooting to get to 2K!

Thanks. That's a fine shooting range you have there. I have to shoot from clear cut to clear cut to get that far. Post the vid. I'd like to see it. Maybe I can borrow a video camera when I go out to do it again. I'll look into it.

directly to my left in that pic is a dirt bank that is 770yds with lots of rocks to smack ( they make an impressive sound ) I was further up the river earlier in the week shooting at some steel I set up over there a couple of winters ago ( that river will freeze over in the winter and I can get my snow machine over there ) I have clear shots on those from 400 to 1100yds. I do enjoy shooting long range up here, the long winters up here make me appreciate the times that I can shoot.

I have a couple of vids, one you can see bullet trace in and the other is looking through a spotting scope. My camera shoots the video in mp4 format and the clipped down videos are about 8mgs a piece. I dont know where I can host them.

dsc01095resize.jpg

dsc01099aresize.jpg

Well, a friend of mine just ordered a camcorder today, so I might be able to rig something up to video my 2K shots next time. That would be cool.Now if it would stop raining when I have the time to go out.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: supersix4</div><div class="ubbcode-body">directly to my left in that pic is a dirt bank that is 770yds with lots of rocks to smack ( they make an impressive sound ) I was further up the river earlier in the week shooting at some steel I set up over there a couple of winters ago ( that river will freeze over in the winter and I can get my snow machine over there ) I have clear shots on those from 400 to 1100yds. I do enjoy shooting long range up here, the long winters up here make me appreciate the times that I can shoot.

I have a couple of vids, one you can see bullet trace in and the other is looking through a spotting scope. My camera shoots the video in mp4 format and the clipped down videos are about 8mgs a piece. I dont know where I can host them.

dsc01095resize.jpg

dsc01099aresize.jpg
    </div></div>

Post them on youtube.com

I would like to see them! I'm getting a BO 30 MOA base so I can reach out to these ranges.

How many MOA did you need for 1760? what bullet?

specs

GAP 300WM (rem 700LA with Rock 26 1:10 badger brake)
    200gr SMK
    69gr Data 86
    22.6 mils of elevation
    3.35 second flight time
    USO SN3 mil/mil GAP mil ret.

I will try to upload them to youtube.

shoot07262009-1.jpg

This is where a few friends and I shoot. This is the view from 1,550

I will have 60.5 MOA of elevation, I will have to figure out how many mil's I will have to hold over to hit 1,760 and 2k

Supersix4 lets get that video up! I love watching trace through the spotting scope

It just a spot in the desert, I think it used to be a rock query or something. The Clark County shooting park should be open this winter and eventually the will have a 1200 yard range I hope. Its on the books but who know if/when they will have the money to build it.

I too am curious. I got some good spots up here, but that looks like a nice open area too.

Thats one hell of a back stop you got there.

okay now I have to find a 1760 and 2k shooting spot!

I had everything set to go out today, & post a vid, & pics. But as usual, it was raining, & blowing 20mph. Welcome to the Pac. NW. Oh well. Maybe next week I can get 'er done.

Supersix,

You are in interior Alaska? Good shooting down there. I'm in Fairbanks. If you ever want to bring a newbie along for some shooting let me know.

Jeremiah

sorry for the delay guys, I was out moose hunting. I am near Delta and I am rarely able to plan the shooting times I just fit it in where I can. The pic was just through the SN3 on my rifle.

Ok. I'm trying to set up another day to shoot, & have spotter, & camera's. May go back out tomorrow. I hope. I'm going to try to get pics through the scope, & a vid through the spotting scope @ 2000 yds. Wish me luck.

Any updates? What alt are you shooting at?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: "Bigwheels"</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
    Conditions were:
    Wind-variable from right to left @ 1-4 mph.
    Temp-75*
    Baro-28.27" hg station psi.
    Humidity-50%
    Rifle 300 Win Mag by Montana Rifle Co.
    26" X 1 in 10
    NF 5.5-22 X 56 NP-R1
    Win brass
    208 A-Max Mollied
    78.6gr. H-1000
    3.635" COAL 2950 MV
    Target is 12" X 18" mild steel silhoette.
    </div></div>

Are you using magnum primers?

I have been working up a very similiar load with BR2 primers and I am having trouble getting the es down below 25fps.

I am wondering if switching to magnum primers will help. It is also a new rifle(700P) so I am not to worried, because it is still breaking in.

You have no idea how lucky you are !!!!!!!!
    Here in Illinoistan there are no places to get over 600 within 3 hours

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JFComfort</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: supersix4</div><div class="ubbcode-body">directly to my left in that pic is a dirt bank that is 770yds with lots of rocks to smack ( they make an impressive sound ) I was further up the river earlier in the week shooting at some steel I set up over there a couple of winters ago ( that river will freeze over in the winter and I can get my snow machine over there ) I have clear shots on those from 400 to 1100yds. I do enjoy shooting long range up here, the long winters up here make me appreciate the times that I can shoot.

dsc01095resize.jpg

dsc01099aresize.jpg
    </div></div>

Post them on youtube.com

I would like to see them! I'm getting a BO 30 MOA base so I can reach out to these ranges.

How many MOA did you need for 1760? what bullet? </div></div>

Hey Bigwheels.... you should look us up over on the "SHWW Group" thread - Under the "Members Link-up"... we're all Western WA shooters... with a few "Dry Siders" thrown in... we don't seem to have anybody up north yet, at least that's made themselves known... You'd have no problem finding yourself a spotter with this group!
    wink.gif

Swing on by & throw your hat in the ring if you like...

Case Prep ?

I know this is an older post, but I'm developing LR loads using the 208 Amax (naked) in a 10 twist pac nor 300 WM barrel as well, using Win Brass, & Fed 215's, H1000. Am curious what specifically you are doing for case prep. (i.e. neck turning, uniform PP, sorting, etc.) I'm still working on the load development. Will check the reloading section and beyone 1K as well. Thanks

Re: Case Prep ?

I do neck turn to uniform it. Full length size. Trim to 2.620", & load. I also check runout, & make sure none are over .002" GTG.