• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Made the switch. My first bolt rifle

jeff1383

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 27, 2012
Frisco, TX
After several years of shooting only gas guns Ive finally put myself together a bolt rifle. Lurking in the bolt action section and a few members made my equipment selection a breeze.
Thanks to SH and its members for a wealth of great info!
21vqmu.jpg

242zt3d.jpg

Build spec:
Remington 5r barreled action cerakoted black
AICS 2.0 chassis in army green viper skins
NF 5.5-22 nxs in NF rings and warne steel base
Atlas goods.
Hopefull to get to shooting by next week. What are you 5r guys shooting as far as factory loaded ammo goes?

Re: Made the switch. My first bolt rifle

good choice
but you need a beater .308 for the field.
that thing is a beauty!

Congrats! Looks like a fine piece of work there. Definitely liking the Viper Skins. Range report ASAP. I'd go FGMM or black hills factory loads.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 331V8</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Congrats! Looks like a fine piece of work there. Definitely liking the Viper Skins. Range report ASAP. I'd go FGMM or black hills factory loads. </div></div>
Thanks 331V8! The current range I shoot at goes to only 500 yards. Im wondering if 168's or 175's are going to give me the best performance at these ranges?

Top Gun?

I'm working up 175gr SMKs for my new .308. Waiting until I can get my brake installed before actually going out there with this load development. Using RE-15 for these.

Drool!!!!!!!!!! My first bolt gun was a used 22 mag. I have to tell you, you have no where to go but down from there.
Very nice stick though. Mr 5r shoots smk 175s great. Half a minute or better. You will enjoy.

Very nice first setup. It blows my first one out of the water. Enjoy and load 175smks or 178amaxs, the rifle will like either but the amaxs are cheaper.

Until 5-6 yrs ago, I'd never dreamed I'd be shooting boring old bolt guns. Since conversion, my gas guns are collecting 'safe' dust.

is that an AICS 2.0 or an AX chassis?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: FALex</div><div class="ubbcode-body">is that an AICS 2.0 or an AX chassis? </div></div>

It's an aics chassis with Victor viper skins installed. He's a site sponsor I believe. Looks like I need to pick up some 178 amax, fgmm 168's and try and get my hands on some southwest 175 smks.

Nice gun. I'm looking at getting that same scope. What reticle did you get? I want the MOAR

Great looking rifle! I'm not far behind you. I went with a Mcree folder in tan on my 5R. Viper Skins look really nice. Looking forward to the range report.

My .308 prefers Southwest over Hornady, BlackHills and Federal GM. If you get some SouthWest don't hesitate to try the stuff loaded in the Military Brass it shot just as good as the Premium does (at least in my rifle) and its a whole lot cheaper. Mine shoots about 1/2MOA with hornady, BH and Federal. I can shoot 1/4-3/8 with the largest being 1/2 MOA (after shooting about 120rds, or my error) with SouthWest.

I guess that answers my question. Damn, nice build!

Headed to the range today to work up a load. Loaded up some once fired federal brass and some new lapua brass.Shot all 5 round groups from 42. to 43.5 varget at 100 yards. I think the rifle shows some potential with the lapua and 43.5 varget load. The federal brass load at 42.5 shot nice as well. Used 175 smk with federal match primers and no real brass prep.
2wly8ol.jpg

30bpbn6.jpg

There was a time when I wouldn't have dreamed of shooting a bolt gun--boring. Now, all of my gas guns are safe queens.

So you started reloading for it? While your first results are impressive you may still want to try a ladder at 200-300 with the same load development. Did you get the measurements for your chamber? How far off the lands are you seating your 175s?

Brass prep may not be necessary for shorter ranges but case prep becomes pretty important when you need to ensure concentricity and uniform powder burn.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: methos</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So you started reloading for it? While your first results are impressive you may still want to try a ladder at 200-300 with the same load development. Did you get the measurements for your chamber? How far off the lands are you seating your 175s?

Brass prep may not be necessary for shorter ranges but case prep becomes pretty important when you need to ensure concentricity and uniform powder burn. </div></div>

I had sold/traded off most of my reloading equip with my grendel to help fund the current build, but hated paying $1.20 a round so went ahead and picked up some more equipment. I have another batch im working on with the lapua brass that Im planing on adjusting the seating depth. Didnt measure the chamber cause Ive read the 5r has a mile long throat so I just started around aics mag length. Shot most of the rest of the loaded rounds at steel at 500 yards with decent enough results. Have you had a chance to make it out there yet? Great little range he has set up out there!

I've been out there a few times; it is a great little range. I haven't been there in about a month as I'm waiting on my 30BA to fit the muzzle brake before trying out this next load development. I also have a new 190gr load development for the .300 WM that I need to ladder at 300 so it'll be a busy day next I go.

My Savage 5R had the lands just past SAAMI spec. OAL with the 175 SMKs is 2.821" (2.233" to the ogive). I think I set this loadout .010" back from that to start. I'm also planning on putting together a subsonic loadout and doing stability tests with it, but Gunmaster was out of Trail Boss last time I was there and I haven't bothered to look around for any.

What length barrel is yours? Twist? I think my 5R might be an oddball with the 11.25" twist but I thought it was patterned after the Remmy barrel from the M24.

My 5R loves the Hornady 168 HPBT and the SMK's over between 44.5 and 45 grains of varget.

It shoots the a-max pretty damn well, but not as good as these.

As far as factory ammo, the 168 OTM American Eagle shoots very well.

Just sold my 20inch 5R to a fellow member to finance the SAKO TRG 22...now I miss it a lot...:(

Mine LOVED the Federal 168 gr Ammo. I don't reload so I got the best result from the federal factory Ammo.

I wish I had spent more time with it though...Good thing the fellow member that bought it is Local and pretty cool guy, maybe I'll still get to see it sometimes.

Quick Question though, did the Barrel/Action already came CeraKoted? or did you had it done? If so can you let me know who did it? Thanks!

Z

Methos: its the 24" barrel version
Fdkay: question...what brass do you use on your loads? Any pressure signs around 45 gr?
Hogtooth5r: I had it creakoted here locally and sent u a pm

Can you PM me the place you had it cerakoted? I have a friend looking for that service and I'm considering it when I do a barrel change on the .300 WM.

Nice rifle!

In my experience, the 5Rs shoot well with pretty much any match ammo in the 168gr to 175gr range. Back when the 5Rs came out, one of my old reps said that the 178gr BTHP Superformance load by Hornady was designed around the Remington 700 5R. I primarily load for my own stuff or use FGMM so I never tried it out, but it should be worth a shot if you're experimenting.

-Sean

No pressure signs in my rifle.
It is actually a pretty tame load compared to some others running varget.

I use Federal brass, federal primers and load to 2.8".

It is close to the factory FGMM load.
I started at 44 grains. It was pretty accurate put 44.5 to 45 seems to be a fairly broad node for accuracy in my rifle.