• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Made Where?

Outlaw45

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 12, 2007
Iowa, USA
Just recieved my first Nightforce from LongRangeSupply.com. Why does it say "Made in Japan" on the bottom next to the serial number? I thought they were made in the USA.

DSCF0002.jpg

Re: Made Where?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dmg308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The new f1 ffps are made in the U.S.A. with imported components. </div></div>

Assembled in USA, out of imported components...?

Correct I should of said assembled but they may make some parts here that I am not sure.The glass comes from Japan.

The straight scoop as I understand it-

Nightforce has most of their parts made in Japan including the glass. The individual components are shipped to NF's facility in Idaho where they are assembled into complete scopes and tested. Repairs and modifications are performed in Idaho.

NF is looking to manufacture more and more of their parts in the US. Their glass will probably always come from Japan.

There's something about US import regulations that require an item to be labeled according to what country the majority of its parts come from but I can't quote specifics on this. I understand that as more and more of NF's parts are manufactured here they will be labeled "Made In USA".

Some of the GenI NXS scope components are made in Japan while all quality control, assmebly, reticle installation, warranty work and customer service is handled here in the states, in Idaho to be more specific.

The GenII NXS units (F1s and compact models) are entirely US made with the only exception being the glass, as will be the case with all future designs.

Thanks. I thought the glass was from japan and everything else was assembled here.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: HHCF-00</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Some of the GenI NXS scope components are made in Japan while all quality control, assmebly, reticle installation, warranty work and customer service is handled here in the states, in Idaho to be more specific.

The GenII NXS units (F1s and compact models) are entirely US made as will be the case with all future designs. </div></div>
Not!
grin.gif

Japan or not, NF has earned their spot on the A list. If you look at my signature you will see in the survey how well they did.

Extremely well...I'm not certain I'll buy another SB PMII. It'll probably be all NF from here on out.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mr.M14</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Japan or not, NF has earned their spot on the A list. If you look at my signature you will see in the survey how well they did.

Extremely well...I'm not certain I'll buy another SB PMII. It'll probably be all NF from here on out. </div></div>

That is some interesting data. Not sure why you would choose the NF over the S&B, as the failure rate of the NXS is twice that of the S&B, unless cost is a concern.

The good thing about the NF data is it is a safe assumption that nearly all the scopes reported are of the NXS. In the other brands, they have just a wide range of models offered, and there is the possibility of the lower end models "diluting" the results. I think a better, more pertinent survey would be like this (keep the same categories if you want)

Nightforce NXS
IOR (safe to assume the tac models here too)
Leupold Mark 4
Nikon Tactical
Burris XTR
S&B PMII
Super Sniper
USO (safe to assume tac scopes too)
Bushnell Elite 4200/6500
Millet TRS-1/LRS-1
Sightron SIII
Premier Heritage
Hensoldt (likely a very small sample size for awhile).

You get the picture. Judge the best the manufacturer has to offer.

This isn't a perfect sampling instrument, and some assumptions might be violated concerning stats and probability, but it's very interesting, and over time, would carry some real weight in purchasing decisions.