• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Mag ext. options for my Remington LTR 308

redhead522

Private
Minuteman
Apr 1, 2010
Hello all,

I recently purchased a Remington 700 LTR 308 left handed. I'm considering a couple of options to increase the magazine capacity.

The first is a H-S Precision trigger guard and detachable magazine. It has a 10 round detachable magazine. Since the LTR already has a H-S Precision stock, will I need any gunsmithing to install this, or will it just fit? Also, will this deteriorate accuracy in any way with the aluminum bedding?

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=132600

The second item is a magazine extension that drops into the floorplate. It is a lot cheaper and wouldn't require any gunsmithing, but does not have a detachable magazine.

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=818519

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Re: Mag ext. options for my Remington LTR 308

The HS is a drop-in installation in the BDL inlet. I had one and it had no effect on accuracy.
There are other DBM's in that price range that would be worth looking at. Most of them require minor inletting, but there's lots of folks on here that can take care of that for you.
Seekins and Badger are the first 2 that come to mind. Both have a good reputation with most of the experienced shooters here.

Here's a Seekins:

0082.jpg

028.jpg

When my LTR was factory it had issues feeding. Remington sent out a new follower and spring. Issues were then intermittent, yet frequent enough to seek a solution. I looked into new bottom metal and having it inletted. I just wound up bolting the actioninto an aics. All is good now, the AI mags feed flawlessly.

SO, having said all that I'd suggest either the seekins or the badger bottom metal. But, I'd get quotes for the install. If the money is close to a AICS I'd look hard at that.

Best of luck.

having played with the different bottom metals, I would pick the seekins bottom metal and run Alpha mags. I've had excellent results with this combination.