• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Mag primers in a non mag cartridge

B3dlam

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 3, 2012
Kodiak, AK
With all the recent mass buying primers are hard to find as I am sure you all know. Locally I can find magnum primers with no issues. Does anyone have any experience with using magnum large rifle primers in non magnum primers like .308 or 6.5 creedmoor. I had considered just starting at a min load with the mag primers and working my way up looking for pressure signs. Is this a definite no go or something that's workable.

Sent from my iPad autocorrect at your own risk.

I have used magnum primers in all the calibers I load for (223, 22-250, 30-06) with no issues. Just work up loads with them like normal. Don't substitute them in a hot load without backing off the charge a bit and checking for pressure signs. Some sources I have seen recommend magnum primers when using ball powders or in low (<0) temps.

Last edited:
I use magnum primers in my 6.8 SPC. I too am wondering how mag primers would work in my 308 loads. I have been loading 43 grain of RL15 on LC brass with BR2 primers but can't find any right now. I have also used up all my Federal 210 primers. Where do I go from here?

Work up the load WITH the mag primer and you will be fine. Had this discussion with a guy at the gun show today. " I need some primers but I use standard primers and there is nothing but these damn magnums." Told him what I just told you. He was skeptical until I assured him that I had to do the same thing when I could get plenty of 550's for 9mm but no 500's, and that I had shot at least 400 of them and I am still intact.Kinda dumb on my part I guess. Increases the likelihood that there will be no 550's or 500's the next time I need some.

Oh. and I shoot 450's in 223 almost exclusively.

Last edited:
Keep in mind, military primers for the 5.56 and 7.62 are all magnum primers. So they work. What I notice is the magnum primer changes my load characteristics so I have to work up a new accuracy load for the magnum primer.

Before I learned this, I'm spent many hours puzzling why my rifle would shoot differently when the only thing I changed in the round was the primer. Powder type, charge weight, seating depth and bullet type were all kept constant.

ALL I use now for rifle cartridges is CCI military primers. According to CCI they are magnum primers. Like everybody else said-use them to work up your loads and there will be no issues.

I saw a thread on some forum showing pictures of the flame front when different primers were fired. All looked to me pretty much the same except a Remington 7 1/2--It looked like a flamethrower compared to everything else. It may have a little more drastic effect on your loads.

Last edited: