• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Mag Primers in Std Ctg

nashlaw

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 16, 2006
manchester, tn
I have some Fed Mag Rifle primers and want to use them in 30-06 and .308 loads. Have any of you guys done this and what is the downside, if any?

The reason I want to do this is because there seems to be a primer supply crunch right now. I can't seem to figure out why.

david

Re: Mag Primers in Std Ctg

Go ahead and load them! They tend to be a little hotter than std lg rifles. Reduce your standard load by 5% and chrono them. The primer cup also tends to be a bit thicker than the standard. They compare to the Arsenal type cup. No reason to not do it. I have loaded some in 308 and have not noticed anything out of the ordinary.

I also spoke to a friend of mine in regards to this several months ago. He worked at Frankford Arsenal and at Aberdeen Proving grounds. He basically told me what I told you above.

Reduce by 5% and check your velocity and check for your normal pressure sign indicators! If you want to be really safe go to 10%.

Terry

Re: Mag Primers in Std Ctg

My 06 rounds all get LR mag's. I shoot a lot of surp military powder and found that I get better accuracy and general load behavior from the CCI 250's than I do from 200's.