• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Mag Seating Depth- 700 Footprint 22lrs

JaoeyP

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Nov 28, 2018
I constantly see threads about people wondering which chassis or stock is best for the Vudoo, Bergara, or Rimx or about the same barreled actions not feeding the way they should. I've responded on here and on Facebook groups more times than I care to count.

So, let's be clear- the 700 footprint 22lr have a far less forgiving window in mag seating to get them to feed consistently. If you invest in one of these platforms and put it in a stock or chassis, you may very well have some trial and error in getting that magazine in the ideal spot.

Generally, the best case is the mag seats all the way up against the action when locked in by the mag latch. If neccessary get either a longer mag latch (may need to be filed down to the optimum length) or an adjustable mag latch to accomplish this. Some chassis, like the KRG Bravo, have a means to adjust the seating depth built in.

While getting that mag all the way against the action is USUALLY the best position for feeding, it is not always the case. I have one rifle that I struggled with even once I installed the adjustable mag latch. My mag was seated all the way against the action but I was still having sticky feeding. If you find yourself with what feels like sticky forward movement of the bolt that isn't present while running the bolt without ammo, you've likely got to play with the mag depth to find your window. In my case what I found was my mag need to be held just off the bottom of the action. Adjusting the mag latch would allow the mag to sit just a tiny bit lower but would also allow for too much vertical play. To solve this I cut out a few pieces of aluminum tape to create a shim and eliminate the vertical play induced by lowering the mag latch. Once I did so, not only did I eliminate the sticky feeding, but I also was unable to intentionally create a feed issue when trying to tilt the mag down, left or right (my mag won't tilt up with the shim/mag latch set up in this case).

20210307_154259.jpg

Which brings me to the final point.once the back of the mag is seated in the ideal spot, you need to make sure tilting the mag doesn't induce error. If it does, you may need to find a way to shim the magwell to prevent this. Some have used the soft side of hook and loop that have adhesive on the other side.

There's a great video out there by Mike Bush of Vudoo Gunworks talking about the ideal seating depth of the mag. Generally all the way up into the action is the best place, so start there. If you still have issues, try adjusting it down a tiny bit at a time. I'd bet it's fairly uncommon to have to shim under the action the way I have.

So, in summary, just understand the ideal placement for mag depth is a very narrow window and you might have to spend some time finding the window for your setup.

Last edited:
Dropped my Vudoo into two different chassis and now lives in a Manners T4-A with mini chassis and fed fine from all of them

And this is exactly why I bought a complete B-14R rifle from Bergara.

I did not want a DIY project.
For sure the DIY can usually be avoided by buying a complete rifle but I've seen factory Bergaras that would stop feeding reliably if the slightest pressure was put on the mag when shot from a barricade.

Dropped my Vudoo into two different chassis and now lives in a Manners T4-A with mini chassis and fed fine from all of them
Yep. Sometimes they will drop in a variety of stocks and chassis with zero issues. Sometimes they won't and need tinkered with.

I've seen factory Bergaras that would stop feeding reliably if the slightest pressure was put on the mag when shot from a barricade.
Not unique to rimfires. Why do you suppose barricade stops are a thing on CF rifles?

Reactions: ballisticdaddy
I have had two barreled actions, both in 3 different stocks/chassis. I have 5 mags, all mags seat without issue in the Bergara factory stock and the XLR Envy Pro. Three seat without issue in the MDT XRS chassis, the other two fit snug but don't lock in. Even though, all 5 mags feed perfect in all the chassis/stock with both actions. This has been my experience.