• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Magazine Adjustment

CharlieNC

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 15, 2011
I have a Stiller action and 6.5x47 which is very smooth when loading manually. Running the AI mags is very rough, especially when first starting the feeding. More bullets in the mag causes more mag spring force and much more bolt force required to initiate feeding. I've opened the mag lips and polished them for minor improvement. What is the recommended gap, and any other suggestions? Thx.

Get yourself some of the Magpul 7.62 AC mags. You will be amazed at how much smoother they feed.

I will give one a try. But I have a number of AI that I would like to function better as well.

Take the bolt out of the rifle, put 1 round in the magazine and insert the magazine into the mag well. Looking from behind, through the action you should see brass (head stamp) roughly to the top of the primer on the cartridge in the magazine. If you see well into the primer, or see just a sliver of brass, it may be worth while to adjust the height of your DBM.

OR, that's where you kind of want your rounds to end up after bending feed lips if you want to (or can) modify all your magazines.