• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Magazine Catch issue...Mega Maten

DRAM40A1

Sergeant
Minuteman
  • Oct 15, 2007
    S E of Dallas,TX.
    I have two Mega Maten receiver sets and have Battle Arms Development magazine catches installed. Initially I’ve been using KAC magazines and they fall out of the receiver during firing. You can insert them and wiggle back and forth and they will pop out as well. That’s with one ten round and two twenty round magazines.
    I ordered and received an ASC for the longer OAL. It does the same thing. I installed a standard mag catch from a BCM lower parts kit with no improvement.
    BTW, Magpul Pmags have a raised portion that holds the mag in place so they work fine but I don’t want to be limited to 2.80...
    Has anyone had this issue and what is the remedy? I thought about taking a little material off of the back side of the catch to allow it to go further inside the mag well.

Seems like the depth of the mag catch recess in the lower needs to be deeper. I’ve compared the position of the catch between the Mega and a DPMS and the mag catch protrudes further into the mag well on the DPMS.

Have you tried "loosening" or "tightening" the mag catch ?

Sometimes the mag catch can "pivot" at that high point.

Worth a try.

Also.. I wouldn't have any problem ( personally ) to permanent marker'g the back of the mag catch... and working one against the lower receiver contact surface. Then checking for worn off marker, and maybe dremel'ing some of that material off.

I have also gone so far as to "re-contour" the mag catch...

Again, I don't mind tinkering with stuff. .. and actually prefer that to sending stuff back to the manufacturer.

Last edited:
    Reactions: DRAM40A1
    I installed it far enough that it can’t rotate out when you fully depress the mag release. Then one turn out, two, and three. The magazine will still come out without pushing the release.

Worth a try.

Also.. I wouldn't have any problem ( personally ) to permanent marker'g the back of the mag catch... and working one against the lower receiver contact surface. Then checking for worn off marker, and maybe dremel'ing some of that material off.

I have also gone so far as to "re-contour" the mag catch...

Again, I don't mind tinkering with stuff. .. and actually prefer that to sending stuff back to the manufacturer.
    I think I’ll do just that. My first thought was dremel the mag catch. I’ve had three different mag catches installed so I’m thinking the recess in the lower is just slightly shallow.