• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Magazine fit

JeffP40

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 20, 2009
Helena,Mt.
How compatible are the AR10 type mags throughout the industry? Are they pretty much universal, or are they somewhat manufacturer specific? I have a R25 in 243 and am wondering if military 308 mags will work.

Re: Magazine fit

JeffP40,

Not at all. The AR-10 platform has probably the widest array of different magazine formats of any single weapons system out there right now. They seem to be working on coming to some form of standard, but right now, you need to know precisely which mags your rifle uses, and make sure that you're ordering that exact type. Not at all like the AR-15s, so just be cautious.

Mine is the R-25, so DPMS compatible. Just wondering what options I have.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JeffP40</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Mine is the R-25, so DPMS compatible. Just wondering what options I have. </div></div>

For KAC/DPMS pattern rifles, your magazine options are:

KAC;
DPMS;
Magpul 20LR PMAGs; and
C-Products (or whatever the hell the company is going by these days).

You shouldn't have issues running the .243 in any of the above mags, but as with all things...your mileage may vary. For example, I have several different semi-auto DPMS/KAC pattern .308 rifles and while all seem to like the PMAGs, one absolutely would not run with the DPMS factory mags including the one it came with (and I tried about a half dozen or so total) without a fair bit of tweaking and other rifles ran like a scalded dog with them from the get go.

At the present time...if you are looking for standard capacity (i.e. - more than 10 rounds), then you are at the mercy of the market to a certain extent and are left with buying what you can find/afford.