• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Magazine lip measurement 6GT

Jlcichocki

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Jul 9, 2019
Wisconsin
I have 4 relatively new MDT mags. Two are 10 round and two are 12 round. I shot my third PRS match last weekend and had all sorts of feeding issues. It was suggested that I needed to adjust my feed lips. I am shooting a 6GT. The gap measurements between the four magazines aren’t remotely close. Can someone tell me the front (bullet end) and rear lip gaps? Thanks!

jeff

Start around Rear - 0.420", Front - 0.410" then fine tune for feed angle for your action/chassis combo.

I had issues with accurate mags and 6 gt. Same with aw in my lone peak.

Best performance I ended up with was arc mags. It hurts to hear, but gt doesn't feed well for a lot of guys I know. Dasher in an mdt br mag just works.

ARC mags work great if you keep them clean. Get some canned air, it learn to take it apart to clean it, and it will serve you well.

Reactions: Jlcichocki
It's probably not what you want to hear but swap the MDT's for AI or ARC mags. It is well established they don't play with in the 6GT.
</problem>

I run both ARC and AI straight out of the box, and they run flawless.
This, my MDT 10rd metal mag wouldn't feed 6GT when loaded to more than 7 rds, the plastic mags that MDT sent as replacements wouldn't feed more than a few rounds without jamming. My particular Magpul mag has not fed 6GT well, but it also failed to feed 6.5 Creed occasionally.

Accurate mag has been flawless in my 6GT, and seems to work for most folks.

Last edited:
The MDT magazine body taper doesn't work well with 6gt or the x47 case. They are working to resolve this but it is not advised to use those mags with the 6gt.

The MDT magazine body taper doesn't work well with 6gt or the x47 case. They are working to resolve this but it is not advised to use those mags with the 6gt.
I've never heard this, but it makes sense. I used to shoot .260 AI and learned pretty quick that straight walled cases don't play well with most magazines when loaded with more than 5 rounds.

I hadn’t heard of this either but wow have I struggled. When I built my gun, the mdt mag was the only think that was recommended to me.

Arc mags are the bomb. Installed the new mk machining followers and I can use them for 6bra, gt, x47 and creed cases. This has been with both push feed and control feed actions.

That's not an American Rifle Company mag, thats a mdt mag for 6mm arc cartridge.

Of the 6 or so ARC brand mags I own, iirc, I had the best luck from Area 419 and Short Action Precision.
Area 419s in stock notification works pretty well, so may be worth singing up for an in stock notification.

I played around forever with the 12rnd MDTmags and could never get them to work. Finally I designed and 3D printed a spacer kit and they run flawless.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    724.6 KB · Views: 82
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    456.8 KB · Views: 96
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    746 KB · Views: 79
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    758.7 KB · Views: 80
Probably a market for a few when the GT hit the lathes, but most have either tinkered with the MDT mags to make them work, or just buy the AI or ARC mags and go. I do appreciate the ingenuity to a problem, so props for that!

I was planning to sell them, just never got around to it.

I never played with the BR mags. I just started tinkering with my .308 mdt mag.

If your interested in purchasing a kit, send me a message.

It's kinda weird, mdt 308 mags with gt cartridge only feed well out the gate from my control round feed actions, push feed and it's shit. That's why I only run crf action anymore for the most part, they just feed more reliably. Zermatt and ARC.

I played around forever with the 12rnd MDTmags and could never get them to work. Finally I designed and 3D printed a spacer kit and they run flawless.
I sent a message…I think…hell I don’t know lol. But I’d like to try one of these or two or three in a 10 round MDT. I don’t have any 12 rounders. I would certainly be willing to pay for them.