• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Magazine Problem MDT poly 223

TheNatural21

Private
Minuteman
  • May 30, 2020
    I bought 4 MDT polymer 10 round 223 mags in the black friday sale a year ago. At the time I didn't have a 223 bolt gun, but planned on building one. Well, I finally have a rifle to use with them, but they're giving me a lot of trouble. With this years black friday sale in full swing it's not a very good time to contact them about it, so I came here.

The top round in the mag always feeds smoothly, but the front of the follower sticks to the inside of the mag body. The rear of the follower comes up like it should so the stack of rounds ends up tilted way forward and gets jammed up. This happens pretty much every round, and doesn't seem to matter how many are in the mag as long as it's less than 8. (the first couple out of 10 seem to function OK). Happens with all the mags. I don't see any burrs or rough edges on the front of the follower or inside the mag. I haven't had any issues with the 308 polymer mags I've used for years so this is a bit disappointing.

Was there a bad batch of mags a year ago?

Should I just stop whining, get the parts as smooth as possible, and put a drop of gun oil or something on it?

Any other suggestions?

Odd? I have 2 that run just fine. It's a Savage action believe it or not.

Accurate makes AICS 5-10 round metal mags. You could give them a try.

Yeah I think there was a problem with some mags. I have some that work great but I aomewhat remember something about this a while back. I'd just call them tomorrow or Monday and talk to them about it.

I want to say that some sanded the follower so it gave the rounds a more upward trajectory and also the feed lips but I'd definitely talk to mdt before I did anything like that

Reactions: ShtrRdy
    What rifle? I have some I bought last black friday and they run fine in my TL3 .223 with a Manners stock with mini chassis.

Hey @TheNatural21 sorry to hear that you're having issues and unfortunately, with polymer magazines there are a ton of variables a little outside of our control when manufacturing them, and as such, they have super weird issues from time to time. We'd be more than happy to exchange those magazines for you or assist you in making minor modifications to getting them running right :)

We put a lot of time and effort into our products, along with countless hours of testing to ENSURE that they don't "suck hard", but every now and then, something can sneak through the cracks and that is why we have an awesome customer service team to make things right.

Please reach out via the support portal on the website and we'll get you all fixed up!

- Josh

What rifle? I have some I bought last black friday and they run fine in my TL3 .223 with a Manners stock with mini chassis.
    Its a Savage model 10 in an MDT LSS-XL. I know Savages often have feeding issues, but I really don't think it's the action to blame in this case.
    Hey @TheNatural21 sorry to hear that you're having issues and unfortunately, with polymer magazines there are a ton of variables a little outside of our control when manufacturing them, and as such, they have super weird issues from time to time. We'd be more than happy to exchange those magazines for you or assist you in making minor modifications to getting them running right :)

We put a lot of time and effort into our products, along with countless hours of testing to ENSURE that they don't "suck hard", but every now and then, something can sneak through the cracks and that is why we have an awesome customer service team to make things right.

Please reach out via the support portal on the website and we'll get you all fixed up!

- Josh
    Thanks @MDT_Josh ! You guys always have great customer support, but I really wasn't expecting to hear from anyone at MDT during the black friday craziness. I'm pleasantly surprised. I'm not in a rush so I'll wait until the sale is over to visit the support portal.

Reactions: DIBBS
    Its a Savage model 10 in an MDT LSS-XL. I know Savages often have feeding issues, but I really don't think it's the action to blame in this case.

Thanks @MDT_Josh ! You guys always have great customer support, but I really wasn't expecting to hear from anyone at MDT during the black friday craziness. I'm pleasantly surprised. I'm not in a rush so I'll wait until the sale is over to visit the support portal.

You're welcome and I am not in customer service, so not directly involved in the craziness ;) We used to also have a lot more sporadic issues with our 223 polymer magazines, so this is not out of the ordinary for us and something that we're working on updating currently.

- Josh

Lol my accurate mags worked for several thousand rounds in my impact through multiple chassis and stocks but so did my MDT. Which I switched over to.

Guess I don’t have the bad luck some guys here do.

I also got my double pull ckye pods on Black Friday.

Reactions: TommyD11730
    I actually bought 2 mdt be mags two Black Fridays ago and didn’t get a br till around last November and they were awful. Called mdt and they swapped them out no problem and my replacements have been 100% ever since

Reactions: DIBBS
    Lol my accurate mags worked for several thousand rounds in my impact through multiple chassis and stocks but so did my MDT. Which I switched over to.

Guess I don’t have the bad luck some guys here do.

I also got my double pull ckye pods on Black Friday.
    Can I ask what action you ran the accurate mags on, and 5 or 10 rounders.
    Thanks!

Reactions: JustSendit
    I had 10s, I used both a big horn origin and impact.
    Thanks for the fast reply and the info.
    I'm looking for AICS 5 rounders that will work in a Chassis & Savage short action.
    Accurate said they may not work with Savage.

Problem with the accurates is the .223 insert. Mine would bind up not letting the follower move up and feed the rounds. This would happen like every other mag or so when doing positional practice. Maybe I got a bad batch, but it was 0/2. I bought a bunch of the MDT poly mags for 2 reason. 1 they were $15 a pop on sale and 2, they can be loaded out to 2.50 vs the accurates that can only be loaded to 2.3, so you are losing the ability to seat the heavies out far.

Reactions: TommyD11730
    Problem with the accurates is the .223 insert. Mine would bind up not letting the follower move up and feed the rounds. This would happen like every other mag or so when doing positional practice. Maybe I got a bad batch, but it was 0/2. I bought a bunch of the MDT poly mags for 2 reason. 1 they were $15 a pop on sale and 2, they can be loaded out to 2.50 vs the accurates that can only be loaded to 2.3, so you are losing the ability to seat the heavies out far.
    This is true and why I went to mdt, more coal. For my 85.5s I even cut out a bit more. Big advantage with mdt. I also heard the ruger mags allow for allot of coal and function well? Haven’t tried them myself.

Ruger mags? Could you explain more? What pattern are they?
    Ruger AICS pattern mags. That's what I've been using in an origin .223 build. They work great in the MPA matrix because you can adjust the mag catch on the chassis, but they "suck hard"(sorry, couldn't help myself) in the krg bravo chassis, but I think that's more of a bravo chassis issue. My bravo doesn't work well with my rimx mags either because the mag well is too big.

Ruger AICS pattern mags. That's what I've been using in an origin .223 build. They work great in the MPA matrix because you can adjust the mag catch on the chassis, but they "suck hard"(sorry, couldn't help myself) in the krg bravo chassis, but I think that's more of a bravo chassis issue. My bravo doesn't work well with my rimx mags either because the mag well is too big.
    Adjust the trigger guard on the KRG and it tightens up the mag fit.

Roger that.
    I did some research, saw the Ruger mags. Saw 10 rounders only. Myself I'm looking for 5 rounders.
    I don't think the accurate mags will work on Savage.
    May have to see if I can 3D print something and cobble it together.