• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Magazine suggestions that'll offer more room for longer bullet seating....

DubfromGA

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 25, 2020
Three weeks ago I decided to get something fun to shoot at the rifle range other than just my normal hunting guns.

I wanted another .308 Win, but my favorite local shop had some new Bergara HMR rifles in...but not in .308.

I made 'em an offer on one in 6.5CM.....they accepted and before I knew I was out the door with a brand new gun in a caliber that I've never used.

I did grab some sight-in ammo at the store, too.

Sure isn't much additional room for long bullet seating in the supplied magazine. Pic taken with that 129gr Hornady American Whitetail ammo.

Are there other magazines...perhaps steel construction...that will give me more room for bullet seating ????

Recently received the dies, more bullets, base, rings & scope for the rifle.

Sorta feel like a dumbass for not checking into this prior.

I can single load them if need be....but am hoping there is a mag that will be more useful for what I'm wanting to do with this gun.

Thanks......sorry for the new-guy type questions that should have been address PRIOR to scratching the itch for a new gun.

Reactions: ChidJ
It takes AICS pattern mags, so you can look for steel ones which will almost certainly allow for longer seats. However, before you go too far down that rabbit hole, check your OAL at the lands (or at jam, your preference), in mine the difference wasn't enough to justify the cost and headache of buying and tuning a metal mag.

Reactions: DubfromGA
Also, I just posted a link and description of a little $8 accessory that's made my life with this rifle much easier, here's the link to the post:

It takes AICS pattern mags, so you can look for steel ones which will almost certainly allow for longer seats. However, before you go too far down that rabbit hole, check your OAL at the lands (or at jam, your preference), in mine the difference wasn't enough to justify the cost and headache of buying and tuning a metal mag.
At what coal did 140 Hybrids hit the lands in your gun?

Good advice.

I’ll smoke a dummy round and check the distance to lands and see if a new mag is even warranted.

Those ACIS mags are a bit of an investment...

Its been 14-15 years since I’ve done any handloading. Taken me the last two years to get the needed gear to handle pistol stuff...will be using XL750....and going to attempt to do rifle on a 550C....at least initially.

Thanks for the suggestion on the cheek riser. I’d planned on getting some clips for the posts to keep it in consistent position after bolt removal-cleaning.

Reactions: KnowNothing256
Edited for a typo, see strikethrough below:

I don't run those, but I can tell you that 140 Hornady HPBT hit the lands in my brand new custom barrel, SAAMI reamer, at 2.259" CBTO using the Hornady .264 bullet comparator. This works out to about 2.850" COAL. With the 147gr ELDM, it was 2.244" CBTO and 2.889" COAL.

On the factory barrel I just took off, with about 1100 rounds on it, the 147 ELDM hits the lands at COAL 2.922". My old notes show that my mag-length COAL is 2.850", so in my half-spent factory barrel I'd be jumping about 0.070" if I loaded to mag length with the 147 ELDMs. With the 140 HPBTs in the fresh-cut SAAMI chamber (can't guarantee that's what's in your rifle), I'd be jumping 0.040" right at the lands if I loaded to mag length.

I know that's not exactly what you're looking for, but I hope it gives you something to go on.

If a Hornady bullet hits the lands at 2.850” then a Hybrid will hit at 2.950”. that’s the way their ogjives work.

If a Hornady bullet hits the lands at 2.850” then a Hybrid will hit at 2.950”. that’s the way their ogjives work.
OP, if true, there's a decent chance you'll be in the ballpark of 100 thou jump at mag length, but it's an easy thing to check before committing to new mags.

OP, if true, there's a decent chance you'll be in the ballpark of 100 thou jump at mag length, but it's an easy thing to check before committing to new mags.

Roger that.

Just saw this on a in the description for an AICS 5rd mag:

Notes:

This magazine will accept a cartridge with a maximum overall length of 2.880" which leaves 0.020" of clearance so the cartridge will still be able to feed and move in the mag without a problem.​

The mdt poly metal mags are binderless and allow longer seating depths. That being said I run standard AI metal mags in my 6 creedmoor with 112/115 bullets and a long COAL.

The mdt poly metal mags are binderless and allow longer seating depths. That being said I run standard AI metal mags in my 6 creedmoor with 112/115 bullets and a long COAL.

Good info...thanks.

I'd run across those a few minutes ago.

The version without binder plates show spec'd to allow a maximum cartridge overall length of 2.960”

Unsure of what max length my rifle will feed.

Got some verification to do in good light tomorrow. (y)

Oh man, totally forgot about the feed ramp notch, glad that video mentioned it. Did mine (VERY carefully) with a Dremel, beveled the top and bottom surfaces of the feed ramp just at the rim of the action in the front of the mag well. You'll have to do this, or have it done, to get anywhere near even poly mag length, unless the Premier action has a different clearance there than the original B14 action. Maybe they fixed that, hopefully they did.

Attachments

• IMG_5965.JPG
    IMG_5965.JPG
    633.7 KB · Views: 74
  • IMG_5964.JPG
    IMG_5964.JPG
    423.8 KB · Views: 67
Oh man, totally forgot about the feed ramp notch, glad that video mentioned it. Did mine (VERY carefully) with a Dremel, beveled the top and bottom surfaces of the feed ramp just at the rim of the action in the front of the mag well. You'll have to do this, or have it done, to get anywhere near even poly mag length, unless the Premier action has a different clearance there than the original B14 action. Maybe they fixed that, hopefully they did.

Clean looking work.

Got me wanting to peek in mine now. :rolleyes:

Reactions: KnowNothing256
Well.....broke out the rifle and peeked under the hood....glad I did so.

I won’t be able to fully utilize the space in even the supplied mag unless I make that same clearance notch.

May become a moot issue once specifics are verified with chamber.

Attachments

• 2A03AF70-E249-4643-AEC7-225D80A45C7B.jpeg
    2A03AF70-E249-4643-AEC7-225D80A45C7B.jpeg
    393.1 KB · Views: 40
  • 0615E4D0-5E82-4B91-B395-D2254E3D34C6.jpeg
    0615E4D0-5E82-4B91-B395-D2254E3D34C6.jpeg
    442.7 KB · Views: 42
I'll say that it was an easy mod; I spent more time prepping for and applying the cold blue after the fact than I did making the notch. Best way I found to center it up on exactly the right spot was to load up a mag-length dummy round and mark where the tip hits the action, that's your spot.

Thanks for the info, I'd forgotten all about this and it's good to know that the Premier actions have the same feed ramp configuration. Lucky you though, you don't have to blue it since the Premier action is 416 stainless iirc.

I'll try to think of other life-improving mods I've done on mine, it's definitely been a tinkertoy for me over time, but I like that kinda thing :)

Others have covered everything you need. Summary is:

You probably don't need longer mags, you don't have to wear out like a lipstick for accuracy. You should be fine.

Notching the feed ramp can be useful.

MDT metal poly mags work, but can be rough. Accurate mag could be the way to go.

The bolt shroud suck and have been known to break, so keep an eye on it. That was early on, I think that issue (like extractor) is fixed now.

They are accurate, and you have a good rifle.

I'll say that it was an easy mod; I spent more time prepping for and applying the cold blue after the fact than I did making the notch. Best way I found to center it up on exactly the right spot was to load up a mag-length dummy round and mark where the tip hits the action, that's your spot.

Thanks for the info, I'd forgotten all about this and it's good to know that the Premier actions have the same feed ramp configuration. Lucky you though, you don't have to blue it since the Premier action is 416 stainless iirc.

I'll try to think of other life-improving mods I've done on mine, it's definitely been a tinkertoy for me over time, but I like that kinda thing :)

I appreciate your insight on the gun.

I believe my HMR is matte blued finish.

It's the normal HMR, not the higher grade models. (stock photos of the models I bought)

I really, really like this stock. It feels rock solid and I believe there is enough adjustment for me to be comfortable behind the scope from a number of positions. Initially....gonna be simply running off a bench.

I hesitate to call it the "base" model because it really seems to be loaded with features. For $1K I didn't see how I could go wrong for my first gun that will be set up for longer range target shooting. By "longer" I simply mean distances that far exceed what I've been accustomed to shooting for local deer & hog hunting. Longest kill shot for me is under 200yds. Seemed like a mile...shot from a climbing stand and took forever to get steady on top of the shooting rail.

Really looking forward to taking on this new hobby.

At 52, I find myself with a strong need for something new to take on with my days off-work.

I lost my wife of 27 years to cancer back in April of this year.

While I'm very comfortable in the home we shared....our dogs piled up on me wherever I go in the house (bought them a new dog bed that will go right next to my reloading bench-that is under construction). (y) Getting outside and enjoying time on the range, woods or water is welcome at every opportunity.

Taking some monthly wingshooting lessons at a very nice sporting clays, trap & skeet facility. It's a 30 minute drive through the tight winding roads through a National Forest. I've been driving her car to the clays range...sunroof open & windows down....her tunes playing. It's good stuff.

Joined a local range that has indoor pistol and outdoor pistol plus 200yd rifle. It's close enough that I can't even finish a cup of coffee before I get there. Great spot with super management. The RSO's there have all been super.

Have the two presses to setup on my bench in a spare bedroom that will soon be a functioning mancave...complete with whatever size flatscreen I pick up on a future sale somewhere, surround sound, leather wingback & ottoman, bench, gunsafe, dog's bed, etc. May get fancy and add an AppleTV or MacMini. I need to figure out a way to get another empty bench in there, too.....a place to work on guns. Mighty glad I'd already bought the lumber needed for my bench a year ago....stashed it out in the garage. It would cost much, much more to get same lumber now.

I have a bench in the garage that has my tumblers and picked up a LEE APP press for punching primers prior to brass prep. Going to mount it on there, too. It may also prove useful for sizing lead bullets as needed for different pistols.

Our 21 year old son is going to be staying on with me as he starts grad school in a couple months. My mancave will give me a place to stay busy and give he & his girlfriend the run of the house. (y)(y)

So much to learn.

With my prior handloading for my hunting rifles I barely scratched the surface of understanding the dynamics involved.

~15yrs ago. I simply bought Nosler Ballistic Tips & Partitions for my hunting rifle....did some basic brass prep and used recommended powders that friends & Nosler manual pointed me towards....example .270 w/ 140gr Ballistic Tips over healthy dose of H4831SC......magic happened early in my fledging attempts. Similar results with 7mmRemMag, Partitions seated over a dose of RL19. Tight shooting groups came very early on without a heap of working at it. Beginner's luck and whatnot.

Have more time to lend to the process now. Will get my rifle setup and sighted in and get some saddle time on the nearby 200yd range. There is really nice facility 90mins away that is laid out for 1,000yd fun + they have a few 360 degree pistol bays with steel targets. Day trips there will be big fun. Day rates are very reasonable and annual membership may be well worth being able to shoot on members-only weekdays.

Ballistics, learning the basics of reticle, ranging and the arcane art of understanding the wind......going to occupy my thoughts for years. I've got time....available ranges, and am finally getting the basic gear to get started.

Getting slammed at work, though....took a few months off to care for my wife....and then to have some downtime immediately after her passing. Going back to work hasn't been easy....or fun. Long shifts and a calendar ahead that looks like plenty of overtime to cover my counterpart's vacation time.....as they covered for me during my leave. The OT funds will be welcome, though......want to be ready to pounce once primers are available at more reasonable prices....want to buy enough of them that I won't be worried about running out.....ever.

Others have covered everything you need. Summary is:

You probably don't need longer mags, you don't have to wear out like a lipstick for accuracy. You should be fine.

Notching the feed ramp can be useful.

MDT metal poly mags work, but can be rough. Accurate mag could be the way to go.

The bolt shroud suck and have been known to break, so keep an eye on it. That was early on, I think that issue (like extractor) is fixed now.

They are accurate, and you have a good rifle.

Thanks.

The Bergara interest all started over the last few months.

I have a couple wood stocked .30'06 bolt guns and a lone synthetic/stainless .270 Win for hunting rifles along with a lever action .45/70.

I mentioned to a buddy that I wanted to get something new for when I have the occasional deer hunt....something a bit lighter, yet solid performance for the span of ranges I'd likely be in. He recommended a sporter weight .308Win and suggested I give the Bergara line a strong look.

I took his advice and soon bought a B-14 Wilderness Hunter in .308 Win.

Action is very smooth and the trigger is amazing. Cerakoted & low glare. Stock has good grip texture and feels good. 22" barrel.

I'm currently at a crossroads....trying to decide which scope to top it with. I've decided to upgrade the glass over what I'd bought for it originally. The original scope will possibly go on a muzzleloader. I can see grabbing this gun most often when hunting....want to have solid glass on it.

That gun started it.....jumped on the Bergara train and the HMR followed shortly. Gotta get 'em both shooting ASAP, but I'm confident they will more than meet my needs while exceeding my accuracy hopes. I'm confident all will be well.

I have my fingers crossed on the bolt shrouds. (y)

Shooting is the perfect release for everyday stresses. Instead of destructive behaviors it’s a very constructive behavior. It’s my happy place for sure. Glad you are feeling the same way.

Sounds like you have a nice setup in your area! You can google the shroud thing, the old cast ones are easy to tell apart from the new ones, and Bergara will send you an improved version for free if you happen to have one that needs a swap. The newer ones also fixed the issue with oversized firing pin holes on the bolt face that cause primer cratering at mild pressures; can’t recall the different sizes, but pretty sure they fixed it years ago.

Shooting is the perfect release for everyday stresses. Instead of destructive behaviors it’s a very constructive behavior. It’s my happy place for sure. Glad you are feeling the same way.

You said it, right there.

Huge stress reliever.

I gave up drinking back in February of 2019. Was hitting it harder than I should have....I guess trying to find a way to ease the stress that followed her diagnosis that the cancer had returned....and with a vengeance. Put it down and never looked back.

Being clearheaded was more important than finding some type of false relief. Was true then...as her caregiver....and just as true now....as a father and hopefully one day a grandfather.

In the meantime I'll keep putting in the overtime on the job and earn some fun money for range gear.

Pile of stuff I still need to acquire: scopes for hunter .308 bolt gun, AR-10 308 range fun-hunter, spotting glass, tripods, bipods, gear bags, primers, bullets, primers, bullets, powder, bullets.......oh...and primers. :rolleyes:

Sounds like you have a nice setup in your area! You can google the shroud thing, the old cast ones are easy to tell apart from the new ones, and Bergara will send you an improved version for free if you happen to have one that needs a swap. The newer ones also fixed the issue with oversized firing pin holes on the bolt face that cause primer cratering at mild pressures; can’t recall the different sizes, but pretty sure they fixed it years ago.

I'll examine them more carefully and see what shroud are in each. I have other hunting guns....but this HMR is my singular extended range rifle. I'd hate for it to be out of action for some reason.

The bolt lugs and bolt arms remind me so much of the M700 guns I've hunted with for so long. These Bergaras actually jumped on my radar much quicker as a result of an absence of Remington products when I was looking around for new rifles. Hopefully they will make a great run at it. Seems like they are doing well. Super feeling triggers, strong reputation with barrel quality, sub-MOA warranty, good stocks that aren't screaming for replacement from the start....etc. It appears they are very much like the the M700 I always wanted....but arriving out of the box ready to go.

I do believe I'm going to scope my AR-10 .308 with something in the 4-16 range. I went with a 5-25 w/ MIL-R for the HMR. I'm leaning toward more of a "tree" reticle in 4-16 for the AR-10. Seems like quicker hold-offs may be desirable with the semi-auto. Could be flawed logic...so much to kick around...so much to learn. No rushing....plenty of time to decide. I'd hate to buy something only to find out soon after that I'd rather have gone in a different direction. I'd rather save up for the right glass....buy once....and not cry over "woulda-shoulda-coulda" noise.

The one choice I have made and committed to was MIL vs MOA.

Reactions: Average guy