• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Magazines for 6.5 Creedmoor

wchartz

Supporter
Minuteman
Nov 8, 2011
McKenzie, TN
I rebarreled a Bighorn action with PT&G bottom metal from 6.5 x 47 to 6.5 Creed. The Alpha magazines don't work well with the 6.5 Creed if I load 10 rounds. The sides swell to the point that I have to beat the magazine into the rifle. I have an AI 10 round 308 mag that might work if I keep playing with the lips but it is a bear to load 10 rounds into those mags. The skin on my thumb actually separated from under the nail after loading it four times. What mags work with this combination.

I rebarreled a Bighorn action with PT&G bottom metal from 6.5 x 47 to 6.5 Creed. The Alpha magazines don't work well with the 6.5 Creed if I load 10 rounds. The sides swell to the point that I have to beat the magazine into the rifle. I have an AI 10 round 308 mag that might work if I keep playing with the lips but it is a bear to load 10 rounds into those mags. The skin on my thumb actually separated from under the nail after loading it four times. What mags work with this combination.
Let's try this again. Any answers to this question?

Wish I had more info to share. The only SA mag I have used is a standard single stack 5 round magpul labeled for 7.62x51. I’m sure this is not helpful.

My LA Big Horn TL3 runs the AICS. Also, prolly not helpful. Hopefully the response generates more….

AI AICS mags, Accurate-Mag AICS.

Which Big Horn action? If TL3, might be able to use AW mags. These are shorter, staggered feed, similar to AR-15 feeding.

If Origin action, you're limited to AICS pattern mags.

Actual AI AICS mags work great as do MDT. Might get away with Magpul AICS mags also but some bottom metal don't like them much. I use the AI AICS mags in my TL3 6.5 Creedmoor and the MDT .223 poly mags in my TL3 .223. The AI mags are the same AI mags I have been using in matches since 2004. Have loaded .243, .308, 6.5 and 6 Creedmoor in them and they work great in multiple actions.

Reactions: Baron23
And you can buy MDT AICS magazine with or with out the binder plate.
With out the plate, you can use 6.5PRC ammo for the magazine, just testing one new rifle on that caliber.
MDT magazines are also cerakoted, so no problems of water etc.
C20.JPG

And you can buy MDT AICS magazine with or with out the binder plate.
With out the plate, you can use 6.5PRC ammo for the magazine, just testing one new rifle on that caliber.
MDT magazines are also cerakoted, so no problems of water etc.
View attachment 7770798
Do you need to adjust the lips for the PRC??
Just getting a Tikka rebarrelled in 6.5PRC and can't find any mags locally (Australia), but I have heaps of standard length MDT mags.

Reactions: viking78
Do you need to adjust the lips for the PRC??
Just getting a Tikka rebarrelled in 6.5PRC and can't find any mags locally (Australia), but I have heaps of standard length MDT mags.
I have used mine for few years now, i think they have spread a bit on the lip area.
But i have not modified the lips yet, only done some minow filing to the magazine front plate, where the ammo is leaving the magazine, filed the
sharp edge off the magazine, but i think i will open the lips a bit, so that the ammo would be a bit nose heading from the magazine.
Today i was shooting, and few times i had issues with the magazine.
But i would fix it also by timing the magazine fitting, i have a KRG Whiskey chassis.
You can tune the magazine tension, how tight or loose it will sit on the chassis, one great thing on KRG, among many other.

Reactions: Bucket