• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Maglight alternative

Pester

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 20, 2012
Northern CA
My Maglight dissapeared out of its normal spot so I am on the hunt for a replacement to my 4-5 D cell light. I use it a couple of times a day in the winter and less so in the summer. Most of what I use it for is just getting around where the lights of the house dont reach and to spotlight out to about 150 yrds. My current light is not bright enough to see a coyote out that far but I can see movement out that far with it and I would also like it to be rechargeable.

Is Maglight still the standard for lighting up over longer distances? Will any of the LED style lights get out that far?

Thanks in advance

i've been using the maglight, the led upgrade bulb for older ones or just the led as sold are a huge improvement.

there's alot of options out there, i think the biggest thing is how much you are willing to spend.

i think the maglight is rated between 130-160 lumens, i actually just seen a wally world light from ozark trail for 80.00 that is claiming 750 lumens, but don't know if it's focusable like the maglight - which is what i think is their best feature.

Flashlight Reviews and LED Modifications

FONAREVKA.RU - ??? ? ??????? ? ????????????? ???????. ?????????. ????? ? ?????? ???????. ????????? ???????. ?????? ????????????, ??????????????, ???????????, ???????? ???????? ? ??????????.

would be nice to see of some other "budget" lights being used for yotes (under 100.00) that uses c / d cells, or less than 6 aa.

I haven't considered Maglite as the standard for the last decade.

Take a look at the Fenix PD35. You can find them with a rechargeable kit for around $85-$100 right now and will illuminate to about what you're asking it to do giving you naked eye recognition of coyote vs dog. If you want bigger, then the Nitecore referenced above or a Fenix TK75 are also great lights that will give you more than enough range, but keep in mind you're now in the $200-$300 bracket.

There's some other ~$50 options out there that will throw 500+ lumens for your reach, but not for what you're asking of it including the rechargeable option.

Our LEOs moved away from the maglight years ago and went to the rechargeable Streamlight SL20. You can get the kit with a car charger and a wall charger. They offer both LED and incandescent models.

If you want to take the leap and transition over to the rechargeable lithium battery realm, do yourself a favor and just save up and do it. The cost of rechargeable lithium cells is comparable or slightly more than buying the name brand disposable batteries. The benefit is that you can recharge them up to 1000 times before replacement.

I've read and researched over on candlepowerforums until I couldn't read any more, but the reader's digest version is this:
Buy AW brand (protected) rechargeable lithium batteries - they have the best reputation out there by far. Li-Ion Protected Batteries
Look at a Pila charger and nothing else - Pila IBC Charger for 14500 / 17500 / 18500 / 18650 3.7 volt Lithium Battery Charger
You'll need 2 of these to go with your charger for charging the RCR123a batteries - 15mm Charging Spacer Aluminum

As far as lights go, your budget is the limiting factor. I will tell you this, the days of needing to carry a big mag lite to get illumination are OVER. There are plenty of small pocket lights (torches) that will get it done in spades.

I have 3 of these and they get it done and have a lifetime warranty. They are totally user customizable so you have the 4 settings you use most available - HDS Systems: EDC Clicky Flashlights, EDC Custom Flashlight, EDC Executive, EDC Tactical, EDC LE, EDC Rotary, Ra Clicky, EDC-120 Recommend getting the 200 lumen models = most lumens and most efficient on batteries.
Honestly, for most day to day tasks, these small lights are all a person needs. Most often I don't even use the high setting, it just isn't needed for most things.

Nitecore is another option that is less money, but also takes rechargables and throws more light than the HDS. My wife carries this one in her purse and loves it. For it's size, it puts out a lot of light (800 lumens). NITECORE
Available here - Nitecore MT26 XM-L U2

If you must have something that resembles the size of your mag lite, here's a 860 lumen nitecore - Nitecore MT40 XM-L U2 LED Flashlight

If you do decide to go the rechargeable route, think about having 1 battery or set if it takes more than one in the light, and at least one spare battery or set on hand that you can just swap out while the drained set is in the charger.

I can honestly say that I've never drained a set of batteries during an outing or work shift. In fact I can go weeks before I just swap out and recharge. However, I always keep a backup set with me, or a set of throw aways in my gear just in case.

I'm sure the other brands mentioned are good too, but HDS and Nitecore are the two I have experience with and both brands have been very dependable for me. If it matters, the HDS also work as a weapons light - I have one on my AR, so they can take a beating.

Last edited:
If you can swing it, Surefire makes MUCH better lights that blow anything Maglight makes, made or will make for the forseeable future, out of the water. Go to their site to find the one that fits you, they make like a 100 different kinds. I have an Aviator I like, 2 batteries and dual output. The newer ones have even higher output, like 200 lumens, and have more variable settings too.

You can get a Surefire Nitrolon body (the plastic one to save money) or the aluminum 2 battery model (6P, an old weapon light, etc.) with whatever tail switch you want. Then get the TLS TX4 head for it. That pumps out 600 lumens for about an hour using 2 lithium batteries. It's DAMN bright. TNVC sells the TX4 lamp. Pretty rugged, and it's the best bang for the buck for the size I've found. With the new head, it isn't much bigger than a normal incandescent 60 lumen Surefire light, just ten times more powerful!

These all will likely cost more than any Maglight, but they're much brighter, smaller, lighter, batteries last longer, etc. I've been using Surefire lights for over a decade now, and I'll never go back. They last forever and you can take 'em everywhere.

The ONLY thing a Maglight can do better than a Surefire is to knock someone's teeth out. But there's better tools for that now too.

If you just need a cheap D cell light, get a Rayovac.

I have a couple of the big Maglights that I still carry in my vehicles and the primary reason is that they make for a good entry tool to break glass, windows, etc. in an emergency and are not classified as a "weapon" per se. When it comes to performance as a light they are ancient technology. There are multitudes of higher output, cheaper, and much more battery friendly options available................many already mentioned.

Well then......I guess we know who hasnt been buying flashlights recently.

Thanks for the great info and that really helps me get started. Mostly I will use it outside in the winter and low power so I can see where I am putting my feet and the other need is, if I hear a ruckus up the hill I would like to spotlight it and see if I need to be concerned. I hate needing to use it and then running around to see if I have any fresh batteries when it puts out the same amount of light as a match.

Based on what everyone is saying here I should be able to find a great replacement to my old mag light.

Ok,thats funny stuff right there ------> "The ONLY thing a Maglight can do better than a Surefire is to knock someone's teeth out. But there's better tools for that now too."

I have a couple Stingers. Bought them from Bright Flashlights. Rechargable. Use them constantly. Was reluctant to move to the LED. Glad I did. Three power settings. Reliable. Dont get hot. Reliable. 12v and wall plug charger comes with. Best money spent in my shop.

Yeah, the Fenix PD35 would fit that bill nicely without breaking the bank. I use one at work and am constantly amazed with how bright handheld lights are nowadays. The five brightness levels cover the needs spectrum well.

I've been very happy with my Surefire 6P and 9P. The tail cap buttons make the Harries technique easy, although there are probably better ways these days. Indoors the 9P is a bit much. When I was a deputy my main light was the 9P, which fit just right in my former collapsible baton holder. After seeing too many TV news clips of officers whaling on arrestees with ASPs and not subduing them but getting sued for excessive force, I lost faith. Other deputies carried Maglites because they double as impact weapons. I said that's what the pistol butt is for.

Rechargeable flashlights are great unless you're in an environment with no electricity to recharge it with. Then batteries are a much better idea.