• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Magnetic Interference

Sebrock

Huevos Rancheros
Minuteman
Sep 19, 2020
Bethesda, MD
So I was worried about the magnetic interference I got from my tripod if I mount my vectronix directly on a ball head vs resting it on a bag. I tested the heading with my Cammenga 3H. Turn out that the tripod introduces about 10 degrees of interference. When I put that into my AB, it only changes the elevation by .02 mils at 1750 yards. This is about .35 yards or a little over a foot (2 mil = 20 yards at 1000 yards or 35 yards at 1750 carry back 2 decimal places I get .35 yards) - Is my analysis and calc on elevation correct and is my conclusion correct that I would rather have my range finder firmly fixed and ranging steadier than free hand to save the interference? I can use my LabRadar tripod when on my belly- thats all aluminum and plastic and introduces no interference.

This is only for ranging and a firing solution, not for any sort of geolocation or navigation. For that I would rather use both my garmin and my trusty compass.

Last edited:
A thread you may find of interest:

A thread you may find of interest:

Yes I saw. After seeing that I did something similar and now get no interference and the range finder now matches the compass. Still not 100 percent sure any difference under 10 degrees matters much for anything under a mile for shooting at least. For land nav I only trust my compass.