• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Magnetospeed Bayo (V1) - Material loss from Muzzle blast

Suasponte

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 15, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA
I have had my Magneto for awhile now and have several hundred rounds over the bayo.

Just wondering how many of you are seeing the material loss on the front side of the bayo I am.

Also, was wondering if anyone has mentioned this issue to them. The unit works great with no issues,
however, I am concerned with how much longer the bayo will last with this material loss from the muzzle
blast.

P1020110.jpgP1020111.jpgP1020112.jpgP1020113.jpg

Terry

I just noticed a little pitting also. Not as much as yours, but have less than 200 rounds over it.
I've been using it on an AR, 223 with A2 FH.

I love the thing. Hope it don't slowly disappear. :)

I may give them a call tomorrow and see what they have to say. 512-284-8161

Best
caveman

The only think that I have noticed on my is some burnt powder on the front, but I only have 100-150 rds over mine. I've only used it on ARs so far.

a buddy/dealer of mine just ordered a couple of these. id like to know if thts normal wear or if thts warrantied before I purchase.

Seems like they need to put a blast shield made of high grade stainless over that spot, much like the aluminum/scandium 357 j-frames have one to protect the topstrap from the gas-cutting jet that ocurrs between the cylinder and forcing cone.

Won't be long before chrome 'tips' and 'trim' to go along with 'fender wells' come out. ;)

Changing the top platen to ceramic may not be out of the question, either.

I may put a small strip of duct tape to defer the blast erosion on mine.
I have less than 100 rounds through mine on 308AR only so far.
No erosion or pitting at all.
Going to chrono a load for my bolt gun and will keep an eye on it.

how about cut a piece of cola can to shape, a little spray adhesive and see how it works? Maybe the thick screen protectors for your phone/computer?

how about cut a piece of cola can to shape, a little spray adhesive and see how it works? Maybe the thick screen protectors for your phone/computer?

This.

I was going to suggest some tin snips and a beer can to make a little shroud bent to fit and use a bit of epoxy to hold it on. Use non-ferrous material. Try cutting the shape with a piece of paper first to make a template...

It is probably a glass filled nylon resin. You can't expect it to last forever with the heat and force of gasses coming out of the barrel. They will probably need to come up with a piece to protect this area. Either made from metal with more wear resistance or an inexpensive replaceable plastic cap/piece... Or just use some a couple of layers of duct tape as someone posted... ;)

Just had another idea... Maybe try some (black) hot melt glue and build up a layer over the wear area. It should protect it and you can peel it off and put on new as it wears...

Last edited:
You guys are over thinking this.
I just got back from the range after running 60 308 rounds through it.
I just wrapped a few strips of friction tape and it did work pretty well.
It did start to fray a bit but could be because of the tape I used, I just used it because it looked the best.
If you want Metal I would suggest that aluminum air conditioning tape.
YMMV

From the FAQ on MagnetoSpeeds web site ....

Some pitting and wear at the tip of the sensor deck is normal. We put a pretty thick cross-section of plastic in this area to prevent wear through. So far we have not had a failure due to complete wear through but if this did happen we would cover replacement under warranty.

We've only seen a very small percentage of cases of extreme wear and it seems to only be an issue with very specific loads. We are working with some shield concepts to offer for these special cases.