• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Range Report MagnetoSpeed Chronograph

Everyone I've talked to is considering one for their "next" chronograph when their current one fails. All the online reports are favorable.

The largest benefits, as I see them, is the ability to be able to set up your chronograph without having to call for an extended cease fire when using public ranges.

Second one is that it's harder for a careless shooter (or just absent minded) to put a hole in it like happens all too often with the "downrange boxes".

In my case, it would definitely prevent an embarrassing incident like I recently experienced. In the desire to speed the setup of my chronograph I put a Bushnell Laser Boresighter in the muzzle of my .308 with heavy barrel. Yup, that's exactly what happened. Downrange it went when I forgot to remove it. What really pissed me off was that not only was it destroyed, I didn't even get a speed on it from the chrono. It hit the tripod leg, near the bottom. Not only do I need a new boresighter but a tripod as well.

As for the rifle, not a bit of damage. The load was modest, the pessures low, the boresighter was loosely set in the bore, and the barrel is heavy enough it would have survived launching rifle grenades with no problem at all.

Damn that was embarrassing though :(

Next time, a Magneto Speed.

I picked one up, but just the standard one. Only downfall i see is limited barrel diameter and large caliber muzzle brakes won't work. It'll be fine on my little Jimmy braked 260 "i think"(might need to improvise), but i highly doubt it will work on my fat bastard braked 338 build i have coming in a few months...

I had mine for awhile now and absolutely love it. The only reason I'm considering selling it is to get the V2 version now that I've got suppressor on all my rifles. Here's a pic of it installed on a 22" Rock MTU contour with a Thunderbeast 30 BA brake.

DSCN0240.jpg

Hey Deadshot, don't feel bad...few years back was shooting my TC Encore blackpowder at the 100 yd range and went to reload and couldn't figure out where the heck my ramrod had gone...then it occurred to me...that last round suuuuure did have a little extra kick. Man did I feel like a dumbass. Launched like an arrow. Found half the rod stuck in the ground 75 yards downrange.

I am also very intrigued with the magnetospeed, but I do have some reservations about POI shift with it hanging off the end of the bbl. Currently using a CED Millenium that's about 10 years old and it's been a good warhorse. skimmed the top of the sensors with a round or two over the years, but just took out a caliber sized chunk of plastic--luckily didn't blow up the sensor itself.

Last edited:
Just picked up a V2 a couple days ago because I shoot suppressed, I'm hoping these things work like what I've read.
Sully

I too will post my thoughts as I just ordered one. This site is sooo expensive...

It is quite accurate and consistent. It does change poi but it is predictable and consistent. I tend to work up loads using either ocw or ladder method first, then check grouping for favorable nodes based on that test. It is only then that I start being concerned with velocity. If the node is good and the groups are good, chances are the velocity is consistent. I just need to gather velocity info from that point purely from a ballistics standpoint. The magnetospeed is prefect for that.

Last edited:
The POI difference, is really no big deal to me. My issue is that I still have not heard about whether you could do an OCW without it effecting your node outcome. Theoretically it should, but even with the million threads on this thing, I haven't seen anyone prove it one way or the other. I know some people take velocity after finding a node, but I like to measure the speed of all my shots during load development. Helps me see whats going on.

The POI difference, is really no big deal to me. My issue is that I still have not heard about whether you could do an OCW without it effecting your node outcome. Theoretically it should, but even with the million threads on this thing, I haven't seen anyone prove it one way or the other. I know some people take velocity after finding a node, but I like to measure the speed of all my shots during load development. Helps me see whats going on.

It seems like such a thing might cause bullet yaw, which would change the POI. You'd have to figure that out. But what I can guarantee will happen is that weight at the end of the barrel will change the dynamics of your rifle, and almost certainly change your load development - it's just too much weight at the end of the barrel to not matter (their website says 5-7 oz attached). Compare that to a Browning BOSS, which is a little less, I believe.

So no, I would not do load development with one of those attached, OCW or otherwise. That said, I obviously haven't tried it.

I just need to gather velocity info from that point purely from a ballistics standpoint. The magnetospeed is prefect for that.
I like to measure the speed of all my shots during load development. Helps me see whats going on.[/QUOTE]

So no, I would not do load development with one of those attached, OCW or otherwise. That said, I obviously haven't tried it.

I know that lots of people like to keep track of every round's speed when fired in a load development. I find myself in the group that doesn't bother with the chrono until I've done all my load development letting the "Paper do the talking". Once I have my load developed the chrono then gets set up so I have the speed for ballistics calc's.

I also shoot far more than just a 3-10 round sample size, often as many as 50 rounds while shooting at varying distances. This makes a Magneto Speed very attractive to me as I would no longer have to go readjust the chrono position when transitioning from 100, 200, 300 ~ yards.

For now, I'll just use my current chrono and be more careful with the boresighter. When my new one arrives it's going to get a "banner" attached that will hang down like a "Bang" flag only it will say "Don't forget me Dumbass".

I have one that I run on my 22" GAP-10 with no poi shift. I ran it for the first 20 rounds breaking in the barrel with FGMM 168gr and had no poi shift after taking it off. I also used it for the first 10 rounds of FGMM 175gr that I ran and again, no poi shift when I removed it.

Got It, Like it , Won't turn back..simplicity and consistency are strong points

I've shot several hundred .223, .308 & .338LM over the Magnetospeed over the last few months. It took some work to get the strap to act correctly, but it functions very well now. I do not think the unit affects POI or accuracy. I have done several tests, especially with the .338, and I could not induce a POI shift or detect any decrease in accuracy with the unit attached.

I like having the velocity reading at the muzzle, and I really like not having to make the range cold while I get set up. It doesn't work real well with pistols, but other than that, I really like it.

-J

Been using the V 2 for the last couple weeks and have been very pleased.

One thing I noted was the unit looked like it was going to be too high but in practice, it wasn't. It was a lot lower than I expected even using the alignment rod. I had to remove the thick spacer and then everything worked fine. Always look down the barrel prior to shooting to make sure you can't see the bayonet. If you can see it, most likely is that the bullet will hit it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I love mine. I actually had a problem with mine and the owner bent over backwards making it right.He paid the shipping too. It ended up being a loose wire internally. I consider it to be one of the best purchases I have made as far as reloading/load development goes.

Yeah, mine continues to be an excellent tool. I recently went to WY and we took the magneto along because it was so easy to use and transportant.

I will say that the V1 does not work great on super thick barrels. On this trip, one of the guys had a rifle that is close to 1.00" at the muzzle and it would pick up its bullet, but the MV results did not fit very well with his prior data nor with the come ups we saw in the field. The unit was accurate with the rifles in the 0.875" muzzle range as it always is. So if your muzzle is close to 1.00" (or you have a suppressor), the V2 is what you need.

What is the american price on that sucker

There was a recent group buy that was $350 shipped, I paid full sticker a couple months back and it was 387.50 USD. I would do it again without hesitation if I needed a solid chronograph. It doesn't completely replace my old skyscreen type because I shoot pistol bullets, subsonic cast lead, and especially arrows through the skyscreen type, but for all jacketed bullets from a rifle platform I am thrilled with the performance. I bought the V2 for use with suppressed rifles.

I used my V1 yesterday on my new GAP Non-Typical 260 that is sporting a #3 contour Rock barrel. It definitely changed point of impact in that barrel FWIW. Love the simplicity!

Simple and accurate, shifts POI (more so the thinner the barrel), has an effect on mean group size (more so the thinner the barrel) and is hard to keep on the end of the barrel of a heavy recoiling gun (unbraked/suppressed 338 for example)

Does the lack of ability to use projectiles which contain steel/iron make a difference to anyone? It did for me but only because I desire to be able to use my instruments regardless of what ammo I have available.

You can use these bullets. It has a menu setting specifically for ferrous ammo. I should state that I've not tested this (and probably won't cause I usually shoot pretty normal stuff). That coupled with the fact that I don't have one yet. But it should arrive in the mail tomorrow.

Last edited:
I use mine with none magnetic bullets. Works great. It's a V1 from their first production run. It's works via the Hall effect. Materials don't need to be magnetic. You just have to set the unit to the correct bullet type as mentioned above.

L

While the Steinert Super Chrono is brand new in my hands and untested, I am excited also by what they have coming - Pro model w/Bluetooth and an app for smart phones as well as a wifi connected acoustic target. Cool, overdue stuff.

I'd considered the super chrono but the bore axis setup issues resulting in inaccurate results and the need to still put it down range tipped the scales in favor of the magnetospeed. If one could get the axis figured out down range it would make a very nice long range chronograph to use for measuring BC's but for now I just trust Litz and force balance my MV's to match my drops using the Applied Ballistics app and I never have an issue. Mainly I just use a chrono to get close and then use actual drop data and weather conditions to get a realer MV. Perhaps once I have he MagnetoSpeed I'll be able to just use that MV and won't have to recalibrate it but that has yet to be seen.

~Brett

Easy to use, Results have been spot on so far. Nice to know you can replace individual components of the system when/if you have a problem.

I just ordered mine, should have it be giving of august hopefully. I'll compare it to my CED M2. Maybe even do a sample ocw, to see if it changes anything.

I know that this product is based off electromagnetics, so sunlight position doesn't effect it like most chronos. Has anyone found anything that has had a bad effect on reads, similar to what sunlight position does to regular chronos

Last edited:
I have the V2 and it is well worth the coin and not having to deal with a tripod and down range set up is a huge plus. There was a huge topic under S4 Sniper’s Hide® Equipment earlier in the year that had some great head to head copmarisons by a ton of Hide memebers and it was nearly 100% unanimous that it was top shelf kit if my old memory serves. I highly reommend searching for that thread

I ordered my V2 from Midway this morning for 370.00 shipped. Excited is not enough of a word.