• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Magnetospeed Slow Speeds… Thoughts & Ideas?

xocyrusx

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Oct 30, 2019
    Pasco County, FL
    I am getting some unusual slow speeds and thinking it’s 2 things.

I replaced the battery and got 30fps faster replacing the battery and i recently switched to an amazon 3.5mm cable as a replacement.

I checked back in my logs and it’s progressively dropped. It was at 1090 +\- back in April. I just saw it slowly drop and didn’t think anything of it.

Since it’s rimfire I was at 1033 to replacing the battery to 1063 and thinking I should be and was at around 1090.

I asked Magnetospeed and they said battery has nothing to do with it but could be placement.

Thoughts?

When my magneto not close enough to the bore , it does throw some slow number randomly.

Reactions: xocyrusx
    When my magneto not close enough to the bore , it does throw some slow number randomly.
    Unfortunately it’s a great SD and it’s all of them. I use an MPA mount and it’s consistently in the same spot. I might have to re measure and see if anything slipped

Thank you and that’s what I was thinking. I checked the cases and it’s all the same lot and well I’m in Florida so it’s hot and fuckin hot.

Just to add I ran it out too 300 and it lines back up with the 1090 area.

I really think maybe it’s the cable…

Reactions: camocorvette
    Was the temperature of the ammo the same and ambient temp close?

Edit:

Just saw the cable comment.. yeah I could see a power draw. I have shitty old phone cables around until they don't work 100%
    Some charge my phone faster then others and their all the same.

Where I’m at in Tampa over the past 6 months it’s been 70 to 90 but all with the same range. Warming up to the same outside temp before shooting.

As it’s deteriorating in speed don’t think it’s a temp issue.

Was the temperature of the ammo the same and ambient temp close?

Edit:

Just saw the cable comment.. yeah I could see a power draw. I have shitty old phone cables around until they don't work 100%
    Some charge my phone faster then others and their all the same.
    That’s kinda what I was thinking…

I have never checked the battery state but the battery that was in there was at 0.7 and the other was at 9.2.

I agree it’s a draw battery issue with the cable.

And after some deep ripping apart the old gun junk box we all have I think I found some of the OEM cables.

Will do some testing and get some new batteries.

I was having issues with mine recently and replaced the cable, that fixed them. I’ve also had issues when the batteries got low it wouldn’t read or it would give a random number. A consistent distance to the bore helps. Mine will throw some crazy numbers if I start to get it to far away from the bore.

I was having issues with mine recently and replaced the cable, that fixed them. I’ve also had issues when the batteries got low it wouldn’t read or it would give a random number. A consistent distance to the bore helps. Mine will throw some crazy numbers if I start to get it to far away from the bore.

Thanks that’s what I was thinking. Going to have to give this a try with a new cable.

Slightly low but alignment wise I think I’m good. Thoughts?

71E1C167-05F1-41B5-9CB5-51ADB13EEC24.jpeg
    3CFDB040-167D-4337-A46A-5C16787E0074.jpeg

The hotter it is the higher resistance is, i.e., reading in ohms of the copper in a cable. With these tiny cables these days if you bend it and break strands now there's less conductors to carry the current needed. And they're all made in China.

When I switched from .308 to 6.5, I had to increase the sensitivity adjustment to get good numbers on the 6.5. My reloading regimen is thorough, and I knew there was no way I was getting the ES / SDs my Sporter was reporting. My waterline at 800 on target was extremely tight, suggesting single digit SDs were in fact happening. I bumped up the sensitivity from what I was running with my .308 and started getting numbers that made sense.

We
    When I switched from .308 to 6.5, I had to increase the sensitivity adjustment to get good numbers on the 6.5. My reloading regimen is thorough, and I knew there was no way I was getting the ES / SDs my Sporter was reporting. My waterline at 800 on target was extremely tight, suggesting single digit SDs were in fact happening. I bumped up the sensitivity from what I was running with my .308 and started getting numbers that made sense.
    i will have to give that a try…. I’m going to do some testing on Friday morning. I ran at 7 for this last testing but will go higher.