• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

MagnetoSpeed Sporter Quality

BillyNg

Private
Minuteman
Oct 30, 2009
Hartsdale, NY
Was trying to chrono my son's .223 this past weekend along with a different load I was trying on my .308. This is only the second time I tried my MagnetoSpeed Sporter. The first time was a few months ago, and once I got it tightly affixed to my .308, I got my readings. No issues, got some averages for the two loads I was trying, recorded them and some atmospheric data, and put the device away back in its plastic case and back into my padded range bag where it lives a very comfortable and delicately-handled life.

Took it out this weekend as I mentioned. First put it on my son's .223. No readings. The display is on (and comes on as soon as you plug the reader into the display, as it should), but I get no readings. Nothing. Okay, thought that maybe the .223s are too small to be picked up by the reader, let me throw it on my .308 and see what I get. Nothing. Reader was strapped down nice and tight. Tried to put it different distances from the muzzle. Couldn't get a single reading.

I'm going to wait for good weather again and give it another shot, but if this thing is broken, should I bother looking at another (meaning my current one is a fluke), or are these things not necessarily very reliable?

I have used a magneetospeed sporter for the last 2 years or so (probably 25+ uses) and never had an issue with it. I will note that it can be sensitive to the position it is in if you have long muzzle brake or heavy barrel contour it could cause some issues with positioning the bayonet.

Did you properly space the bayonet from the bullet path (1/4")? Did you check/adjust the sensitivity settings? Did you put a fresh battery in it?

Had mine since they first came out, 223, 308, 6.5, no issues other than some erosion on the bayonet from the muzzle blast. Due to its small size it is always on my shooting bag.

Adjust your sensitivity. That should fix it.

As it is January in the NY area, and the only reason I got to the range this past weekend was because of the amazing 70 degree weather we had, it might take some time before I can get out there again. Will do so as soon as possible and test again though. Thank you gents.