• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Magnetospeed v3 at Cabelas?

JDLawrence3

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Dec 25, 2021
Lincoln, DE
I have some gift cards and points saved up to Cabelas and was thinking of a v3. I notice in their site that they only carry the Sporter now, but have reviews of the v3 in the last month. Anyone know why or if they will continue to sell the v3 at any point? I don't think the Sporter will work with my muzzle brakes.

This doesn’t directly answer your question but if it’s any help/FWIW - my sporter version works on my rifles which barrels finish around .900 OD and use APA little bastard brakes.

I think the barrel and brake on my 338LM is going to be a bit much for the sporter without buying a mount. How do you like your sporter?

The v3 and the sporter have the same bayonette, so the only thing you could possibly do with one is the same as the other. You don't want to mount either the v3 or the sporter (AFAIK) directly to a brake, becaue its venting blast onto the device.

Reactions: JDLawrence3
Ma Smith is totally correct in the V3 vs the Sporter having the same bayonet.
The sporter works fine for me. Its interface/screen is a bit more archaic but still useable. I’m able to mount mine to the barrel behind the brake and have enough room for everything to work correctly.

I’ve used my sporter on braked rifles all the way up to 300 RUM which is similar in the amount of powder burned as a 338LM.

The bayonets are not the same. I have a sporter and had to dremmel a chunk off to allow it to work with a can. If you don’t have a can, either one will work for your set up. If you use a can the v3 bayonet works for that as is, no mods necessary. My sporter bayonet is permanently modified to allow it to work with a can.