• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Magnetospeed v3 issues

Jackomason

Poop-smith aka "Turd Herder"
Minuteman
Dec 26, 2013
Westcliffe Colorado
Hey guys, I'm having some issues and kinda second guessing my purchase. I'm generally not the buyers remorse type but I'm feeling it this time lol.

So this is my second V3, the first one had a hardware issue but CS was on point and got things figured out pretty quick.

Now I've got this new one and it is throwing errors a lot but it's also reverting back to the menu screen mid shot string.

Is this normal? I don't think I can gather data on the menu screen (?) Why would errors pop up when the gun is undisturbed?

I had error 4 randomly. Sometimes when the rifle is touched (insert mag, touch supressor to see if it's hot) and sometimes just sitting there.

Let me know guys. I'm getting ready to jump ship but if I can get this to work it'll save me the money of moving to a lab radar...

20220320_140357.jpg

Sounds like it might be a bad connection between the display and bayonet. Sucks your having issues, I have the spotter and after a little messing with settings as well as filling down the mounting bracket(barrel diameter wouldn't let me get sensors close enough) its been flawless.

Id suggest reaching out to CS again and see if they can help because that doesn't seem normal at all.

Reactions: Jackomason
Thanks, it's possible. I did try using both cords supplied so that would leave the 3.5mm head phone jacks. I'm not sure if it's hardware related or software. But it's nice to know it's not user error...

I'm still on the fence. Can anyone speak specifically to the build quality of the Labradar?

I'm not terribly impressed with the v3 but if it works I can over look it. I will say that I've really liked the data and the format that I have gotten.

Can you post a picture of how close to the muzzle you have it mounted, like a profile photo? Are you using default sensitivity or a custom value?

I've been using a V3 on all kinds of rifles for a year from 6mm creed to 50 bmg without any issues.

Can you post a picture of how close to the muzzle you have it mounted, like a profile photo? Are you using default sensitivity or a custom value?

I've been using a V3 on all kinds of rifles for a year from 6mm creed to 50 bmg without any issues.
I will when i get home but I don't think it's relivent to my issue. The #4 error was never while firing and the reverting back to the menu was all the time.

Thanks, it's possible. I did try using both cords supplied so that would leave the 3.5mm head phone jacks. I'm not sure if it's hardware related or software. But it's nice to know it's not user error...

I'm still on the fence. Can anyone speak specifically to the build quality of the Labradar?

I'm not terribly impressed with the v3 but if it works I can over look it. I will say that I've really liked the data and the format that I have gotten.
I had a very similar issue to yours with my v3. Kept getting error 4 or error 5 i think it was. Sent it back and MS took good care of it. They said it was a bad connection in the bayonet and sent me a brand new bayonet. Their customer service is solid. I switched to the labradar at that time because i was loading subsonic pistol rounds and wanted a universal Chronograph. The labradar most definitely has some quirks as well. The old magnetospeed sporter i had worked flawless for several years but i upgraded to the v3. Look at the overall intended use of the Chronograph and wether or not you use It at a busy range often and it should help you decide if cost isn’t a factor

I will when i get home but I don't think it's relivent to my issue. The #4 error was never while firing and the reverting back to the menu was all the time.

Okay, maybe unrelated to muzzle distance. Sometimes it will try and read the "magnetic field" of the muzzle if it's really close.

There is definitely a learning curve with the LabRadar. The phone app to control the thing is a terribly buggy, more-or-less-functional thing but it's better than trying to control the unit with the buttons. An outboard rechargeable battery is pretty much a requirement; a set of six AA batteries lasts not much over an hour. If used on a cluttered outdoor range, the low-power setting (in countries that allow it, including USA) can help reduce missed shots; based on my experience, I wouldn't even try it on little indoor ranges.

With all that said, I've been very pleased with mine. But if you want something to just plug in and run, you might want to resolve issues with your MS (and your MS won't set off your range mates' radar detectors).

Yeah the Labradar does seem like they get you with the extras.

The magnetospeed does everything I need it to functionally. So maybe I should just get things sorted out. I really only use it for load development and maybe the off thing here and there.

I guess I'm just left wanting with QC and overall build quality.

Here's a picture of how I had it set up today. It's a titanium can so I'm not sure if that has any magnetic properties. 30 cal can and 6.5 bullet.
20220320_211829.jpg

Reactions: KZP
You have an issue. Contact magnetospeed. I have the V3 and have run it on my TBAC can on 556, 260, 6.5, 308 and 300 without one single error

I run mine about 1/8” lower than yours. The top of the square stock is at the very bottom of the suppressor opening or just below it

Reactions: bobb3950
You have an issue. Contact magnetospeed. I have the V3 and have run it on my TBAC can on 556, 260, 6.5, 308 and 300 without one single error

I run mine about 1/8” lower than yours. The top of the square stock is at the very bottom of the suppressor opening or just below it
Yeah, on this dominus it seems like I could use a in-between size shim but it was locked on good and it didnt get shot off haha.

Yeah, on this dominus it seems like I could use a in-between size shim but it was locked on good and it didnt get shot off haha.
If it’s jumping back to menu screen you have something wrong. I’ve never had an error on mine

You will want to use a alignment rod in the bore and make sure your 1/4" min clearance to the sensor deck is proper.
When hanging the bayonet off the supressor you will want to check the clearance every other shot or so; a little bit of recoil induced slacking on the tightening straps may cause device misery. IF you were wondering where magnet #1 is located.

Below , when I first started using the V1; didn't check it often enough. Moved on to a rigid free-float setup with the V3.
DSCN2745 copy 2.JPG
IMG_6873 copy 3.jpg
IMG_1715Cracker Swamp KAC SR-25 2ND SESSION  01.08.22 copy 2.jpg

It’s a bad bayonet connection id bet. That’s exactly what mine did when i sent it in. They replaced the bayonet. Worked fine after that. My issue was identical to yours

Just plugged it into the other 3.5mm port and it seems happy. I'm still probably sending it in but at least we've figured it out.
Mine would do the same issues you had. When it went back to the Home Screen it was because all signal was lost basically. It was turning off then back on. Something to think about is keeping that port clean too. Don’t let dirt and crap get in there when not in use

I think I'll give the magnetospeed one more go. It's not about the money so much as it is about what it is and what it does for me.

With that said, can we lobby together for a better build quality in the V4? I think these things have great potential. I know there production scale isn't anywhere near the other major electronics mfgs but it's also 2022. I really think gaming controllers should be the standard. Good plastic, Clean seams and you don't feel like it would split down the middle if a kid dropped it.

20220320_204835.jpg

OK, I'm done ranting haha. I'll get this thing fixed up and be on my way. The data it collects is really an amazing thing.

Charge Weight Test 65 CM 03-20-2022.png

could be a battery issue, they are very picky about lower than 8 something volts. They will power up at 7 but are erratic. I have tried the other battery recommended and a battery charger to keep them hot but they run down faster. Chinese batteries... Duracells seem to last better for me

I think I'll give the magnetospeed one more go. It's not about the money so much as it is about what it is and what it does for me.

With that said, can we lobby together for a better build quality in the V4? I think these things have great potential. I know there production scale isn't anywhere near the other major electronics mfgs but it's also 2022. I really think gaming controllers should be the standard. Good plastic, Clean seams and you don't feel like it would split down the middle if a kid dropped it.

View attachment 7832186

OK, I'm done ranting haha. I'll get this thing fixed up and be on my way. The data it collects is really an amazing thing.

View attachment 7832207
I’m sorry but a bit off topic could you share details on this excel graph?

I’m sorry but a bit off topic could you share details on this excel graph?

Reactions: xocyrusx
Stop bitching and just contact the manufacturer

How’s the MS V3 working for you? Since we’re almost a year later

How’s the MS V3 working for you? Since we’re almost a year later
My 3rd V3 works great. The buttons were all stuck for a while but one day they just started to work. If I remember right it was after a few swift smacks with the palm of my hand.

I don't think there's any question that the V3 has made a good name for itself. Still looking forward to growth in the Chronograph market.

You witnessed someone attempting to sound “cool” right before getting bitch slapped with the ban hammer!
The random necro was what really got me. Strange times...

I have had the same issue on two displays. First about a year ago, kept getting a reset on the screen, miscellaneous error messages or a bayo disconnected message.
Found that if I put pressure on the plug from behind toward the screen it would stay connected. First was replaced by MS and about a year to the day later I am having the issue again. I purchased new cables and just received a new bayo and the issues are the same with the display, whether old/new cables, old/new bayo. Seems there is an issue with the plug in on the display.

Interesting. Had my V3 for I think 5-6 years now. It has turned out to be an insanely reliable piece of gear. That’s why I have stayed with it and not been tempted to get a labradar. Just a no-brainer to use and has never failed me.