• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Magnetospeed: v3 kit vs sporter

DenverDave

Private
Minuteman
Feb 17, 2017
I am looking into getting a MS chrono and could use some advice from owners. First off the primary use will be on 2 bolt action rifles both with muzzle brakes. No cans as if yet.

I am on a budget so the sporter model is attractive to me if it can do what I need it to do and can be upgraded for use with a suppressor.

Aside from the suppressor and pic rail adapter what does the kit include to warrant the +$300 price tag? Is the core device the same?

Are the components included in the kit available separately, so I could buy them on an as-needed basis?

Thanks

Reactions: Mj30wilson900
The V3 will allow you to use on suppressed rifles or any that have a muzzle greater than 1 inch. The sporter is limited to 1 inch muzzle and will not work on suppressed rifles. I have confirmed this haha. Its about the power of the unit not the accessories.

I've used my Sporter on suppressed rifles, both a 308 shooting 175's and a 300blackout subsonic. Just removed the spacer, strapped it to the can and got readings. I think I have the sensitivity set to "high". Got to make sure to get your readings before the can gets too hot though. :)

Reactions: Sake
I completely agree with Sheldon N, the Sporter works just fine with a suppressor as long as you turn the sensitivity up to high or high 2. From my experience if you turn it up to high (level 1) you'll need to remove the small rubber spacer. If you leave the small spacer you'll need to turn it up to high 2. Verified on a 6.5, .308 and 300 WM running a Dead Air Sandman-L.

I know this post is a year old but I just ran into this over the weekend. Hope it helps someone.

I'm curious about these comparison as well. I have been borrowing my buddy's V3 for load development, but now he is doing development as well, so I am shit outa luck for chronograph data.

I would just be running this on a non-braked bolt rifle with either a varmint or m24 barrel profile which would be under 1" in diameter. Is the accuracy (read: brains) the same between the V3 and Sporter models?

Reactions: Saracen
I have the Sporter and it needs 10 or so seconds (not sure exactly) between shots or it will not capture the next shot. It needs to cycle through each of the values i.e. velicity for that round, Avg, SD, ES... before being ready for the next round. If I shoot before it is back to the standby display it will not capture the round.

I have seen videos of people shooting the V3 much quicker and I assume they are capturing all the shots and the videos aren't running 2x or something like that.

It would be nice if someone that has used both could confirm if the V3 is able to capture quicker shots which makes the Sporter electronics slower? I know the display is physically different but not sure about the inside stuff.

I expect accuracy is the same but I have not used both.

I have the Sporter and it needs 10 or so seconds (not sure exactly) between shots or it will not capture the next shot. It needs to cycle through each of the values i.e. velicity for that round, Avg, SD, ES... before being ready for the next round. If I shoot before it is back to the standby display it will not capture the round.

I have seen videos of people shooting the V3 much quicker and I assume they are capturing all the shots and the videos aren't running 2x or something like that.

It would be nice if someone that has used both could confirm if the V3 is able to capture quicker shots which makes the Sporter electronics slower? I know the display is physically different but not sure about the inside stuff.

I expect accuracy is the same but I have not used both.

I've also read this, the Sporter processing chipset is much slower. This hasn't been an issue for me as I typically allow for barrel cool time between shots. I just ordered the V3, it'll be here on the 7th. I'll get out and do some comparison on the 10th and report back.

I'm in the same boat. I'm on the fence between the two. I've used a Sporter and I was happy with it. I just want to make sure I won't regret not getting the V3.

reviving an old thread

would most advocate the basic model over the m3 for the average user who doesn't have a suppressor ( i do have a muzzle brake however)...or will one regret the purchase in the coming years?

also, can these models be used with pistols or must they only be used with rifles?

thanks

Last edited:
I haven't tried mine on any pistols yet but I don't see why it wouldn't work.

I have a sporter and it works perfectly for all my needs

I've used it on .22LR, 5.56 and 6.5CM. As others have said, you can play with the settings and take spacer out and it works with suppressors.

I use their app and screen shot the info to save my data. There's a lot of options out there as well to mount it to a chassis/stock so it's not touching barrel and effecting harmonics/accuracy.

I haven't used a V3, just my sporter and an original magneetospeed.

Another boost for this long-in-the-tooth thread.

I'd be using this on 6.5cm, 308, 223, and would like to use on 22lr. @Longshot85 says it worked for his 22lr. I don't run suppressors and I understand that there may/will be a POI difference with this clinging to the barrel. So the Sporter looks like it would work for me.

Between the V3 and Sporter, it looks like mostly mechanical attachment issues. Besides the $200 upcharge for V3 what is it that justifies the $$?

Any owner/users have any advice or input?

Best place for that particular info is from MagnetoSpeed themselves....check out this: MagnetoSpeed FAQ Click on the question "
What is the difference between the Sporter and V3?" and it will tell you all you need to know.

Reactions: Saracen
Another boost for this long-in-the-tooth thread.

I'd be using this on 6.5cm, 308, 223, and would like to use on 22lr. @Longshot85 says it worked for his 22lr. I don't run suppressors and I understand that there may/will be a POI difference with this clinging to the barrel. So the Sporter looks like it would work for me.

Between the V3 and Sporter, it looks like mostly mechanical attachment issues. Besides the $200 upcharge for V3 what is it that justifies the $$?

Any owner/users have any advice or input?
I run the sporter with suppressors all the time. It's extremely rare for me to shoot without a suppressor.

I don't have any pics handy of it on .22LR, but I run it just like this without any spacers and it works fine with suppressors

20200822_140528.jpg

Reactions: Just Chuck
I run the sporter with suppressors all the time. It's extremely rare for me to shoot without a suppressor.

I don't have any pics handy of it on .22LR, but I run it just like this without any spacers and it works fine with suppressors

View attachment 7470186
Thanks - just what I was looking for. The Sporter will work for me, I'm sure.

I have the sporter but wish I had spent the extra couple of bucks for the V3 because of after market accessories such as the Mpa spigot mount or a rail mount.

Measurement wise the sporter has been great on both bolt guns and an AR.