• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Magnetospwwd V3 or LabRadar?

Bigskyguy

Private
Minuteman
Nov 25, 2019
Montana
So I'm needing a better chrono and I'm was going to order the V3 from MK along with their off barrel mounting system. For 90 bucks more I could get the LabRadar. I've seen a lot of posts lately on LabRadars fragility and have been leaning towards the V3. It's not an inconsiderable amount of money for either, I just don't want to buy the V3 and find out I should have bought the LabRadar.
The V3 I can buy today, the LabRadar would be backordered. Both would be used for developing loads for 6.5 cr, .223 and 7saum when I get it built. Any thoughts would be appreciated, thanks.

I would go V3. I had a Labradar and found it was not very reliable. Very frustrating to have it frequently drop a shot when doing load development.

Reactions: STLSteve86
Magnetospeed's next release (presumably the V4) will also include an off barrel mount option. This per MS when I spoke to them on a support issue a few weeks ago. Expected sometime late 21/early 22 timeframe.

Reactions: pineoak
Guess my V-3 will go up for sale haha

Magnetospeed's next release (presumably the V4) will also include an off barrel mount option. This per MS when I spoke to them on a support issue a few weeks ago. Expected sometime late 21/early 22 timeframe.
I’m curious on how they’ll improve the box/screen.

• Wow
Reactions: BCX
I do need to order a stationary mount or replace my strap.

Thanks for all the replies guys. I ordered the V3 from MK today along with their mounting system. Gotta say I was a little surprised at the number of favorable responses over the LabRadar, but it makes me feel more confident in my purchase. Thanks!

Good luck with your purchase.

I wondered the same as you a while back and ended up with the Labradar, mainly so I didn't have a weight on the end of my barrel to affect barrel harmonics and point of impact.

The Labradar is definitely a first release product with first release problems, so Magnetospeed is a good choice if you don't mind something on your barrel.

+1 on the V3
Used a Labradar and it was a pain in the ass to set up, use, etc. May get better over time with the learning curve but for just getting some accurate numbers during load development the V3 is easy. Unless you’re constantly changing loads, it becomes less and less frequent you use it anyway.

+ on the Lab. The downside is you would probably have to order an external trigger for about $35. Other than that, it works well. Didn't like the way the MS attaches.

Thanks for all the replies guys. I ordered the V3 from MK today along with their mounting system. Gotta say I was a little surprised at the number of favorable responses over the LabRadar, but it makes me feel more confident in my purchase. Thanks!
IMHO, you see all the V3 responses primarily from guys that have either (a) never owned a Labradar, or (b) never figured out how to use it properly. I can tell you that my V3 hasn't been out of the case, since I got my Labradar a couple of years ago. For those that own both ... it would be hard to imagine getting to the range and saying "I think I'll use the V3 today instead of my Labradar."

used both (and the old school that you shoot over/through) and the labradar is easiest by far. don't have to worry about comps or cans or extended handguards, can easily chrono handgun ammo for uspsa etc.

finally bought my own lab and brought it to the range last weekend to check velocity on a rifle i was going to use at a prs match. screwed on the base, turned it on, pointed it at the target and started shooting. easy peasy.

used both (and the old school that you shoot over/through) and the labradar is easiest by far. don't have to worry about comps or cans or extended handguards, can easily chrono handgun ammo for uspsa etc.

finally bought my own lab and brought it to the range last weekend to check velocity on a rifle i was going to use at a prs match. screwed on the base, turned it on, pointed it at the target and started shooting. easy peasy.
Agree 100%. My three "must have" accessories are a good USB power-brick, a top sight, and the JKL Precision recoil trigger. The trigger is super useful for when the guy on the next bench is shooting a 338 Lapua rifle with a Fat Bastard muzzle brake and every time he pulls the trigger, your Labradar goes "nuts". Trust me ... it'll happen ... and the recoil trigger works every time to make sure the only shot being recorded, is your own.

Yeah, this is like Marinne or Ginger (full disclosure, I'm a Marrianne guy haha)

1619453120777.png

I have a friend who has both, lent me both, I took both to the range, I bought a Labradar exactly as he predicted.

I too do not understand those who seem to have issues running this chrono or who found reliability issues. And we never know exactly how the guy that broke his actually treated it...right? Some people are just hard on equipment.

I have had zero issues.

IMHO, you see all the V3 responses primarily from guys that have either (a) never owned a Labradar, or (b) never figured out how to use it properly. I can tell you that my V3 hasn't been out of the case, since I got my Labradar a couple of years ago. For those that own both ... it would be hard to imagine getting to the range and saying "I think I'll use the V3 today instead of my Labradar."
Exactly. My V3 hasn't been out of the box since the LR arrived a few years ago. I keep reading things about tricky setup, etc, so I was curious. A couple days ago I timed my setup, from case to ready-to-record. I use the flat base plate/ballhead mount they used to offer from the factory, a Greg Piet inertia trigger, an MK Machining aiming sight, and a Labradar external battery pack. From the case to fully set-up and aimed at the target was 1 minute, 20 seconds (without rushing). Then another 20 seconds to boot it up and arm it (which included the not-normally-necessary steps of deleting a string and starting a new one because my memory was full). It never misses a shot and I shoot suppressed 100% of the time. It runs in the background on every shot whether I need it or not, never causes Zero-shift or interferes with group size, and is always there to bear witness to whether a high or low ELR impact is velocity-related or not.

A few years ago I ran the MS3 and LR concurrently on a couple of 10-shot strings. They were always within 3-4 fps of each other, with one being consistently 3-4 fps below the other (but I can't remember which one since the difference was completely insignificant, and the repeatability/consistency was virtually identical between the two units). The MS3 is a very good unit, but I just can't imagine ever using it again if the LR is available.

LabRadar owner here as well. There are some use cases where the Magnetospeed is a better choice; baffled ranges, short ranges (under 50 ft), indoors, cluttered ranges.

For everything else LabRadar. The "need" to buy third party accessories exists for both and is more a matter of convenience than actual need.
An external battery, recoil trigger and Quad Pod are quality of life items. I can use the unit without any of them, but my usage experience is better with them.

If you only use it on one gun (or a small number) the V3 is competitive. If you load for a lot of calibers and load for handguns at all, the LabRadar is a must. Get the recoil trigger and use the Bluetooth app for control and all of its negative idiosyncrasies seem to melt away.

Thanks everyone for all of your input, it's greatly appreciated. I ordered the V3 yesterday from MK and it shipped today. Supposed to be here Friday so hopefully I can get off work early one day this weekend and give it a go.

Well I have 2 Magneto Speed so I'm gonna get around to a LabRadar. The LabRadar has a few more functions that are pretty useful and it's has a phone app now, like the Magneto Speed. The Magneto Speed's POI when on your barrel very predictable/repeatable and a lame argument to the contrary.

Had a V3 MS but contrary to a lot of people it fucked with my groups and load dev, not just poi shift. Went labradar and it has its quirks but is worth it for me. When at a range I find it helps using doppler instead of trigger mode. Addressed 98% of my issues.

I don't shoot a lot of guns withOUT rails and attachments so really barrel mounting the MS is my only options. If they come out with a V4 that somehow can mount without messin with the Barrel and will fit across a wider range of guns if easily pay LR money for it.

Last edited:
Had a V3 MS but contrary to a lot of people it fucked with my groups and load dev, not just poi shift. Went labradar and it has its quirks but is worth it for me. When at a range I find it helps using doppler instead of trigger mode. Addressed 98% of my issues.

I don't shoot a lot of guns with rails and attachments so really barrel mounting the MS is my only options. If they come out with a V4 that somehow can mount without messin with the Barrel and will fit across a wider range of guns if easily pay LR money for it.

So I flubbed my post. WITHOUT attachments. All traditional stocks, no rails and I still use a stud mounted harris. Lol.

That did give me an idea though.

Reactions: oldiephrt
So I flubbed my post. WITHOUT attachments. All traditional stocks, no rails and I still use a stud mounted harris. Lol.

That did give me an idea though.
I realize with the MPA adapter and V3 MS that I'm dangerously close to Labradar money, but I only have access to a "public" range, and don't need the hassle of it triggering on every gunshot from other shooters.

I realize with the MPA adapter and V3 MS that I'm dangerously close to Labradar money, but I only have access to a "public" range, and don't need the hassle of it triggering on every gunshot from other shooters.

I can certainly see the attraction for the MS. I had no complaints with the results and would prefer to use one but my rifles just dont play well with how they attach.

Reactions: Cowpokey
I gave up on Labradar long before there was the inertia trigger. I also shoot 90% of the time on a baffled range, so that may have screwed with it. Most of my rifles also have muzzle brakes, which probably contributed to the failures on the Labradar too.

Hey if you have one that works with your rifle and your range, more power to you. Mine failed a lot and it was probably due to environment more than anything else.

Labradar learning curve sucks but once you get the external trigger and figure it out it's great.

The v3 is good too. Especially on a chassis where you can get it off the barrel

I prefer a MS because it can fit in my range bag however I still have to lug an old school optical chrono around for subsonic rimfire stuff as the MS drops a lot of shots on those unless you fidle with it for an eternity until it's just right.

Reactions: goneballistic
So I'm needing a better chrono and I'm was going to order the V3 from MK along with their off barrel mounting system. For 90 bucks more I could get the LabRadar. I've seen a lot of posts lately on LabRadars fragility and have been leaning towards the V3. It's not an inconsiderable amount of money for either, I just don't want to buy the V3 and find out I should have bought the LabRadar.
The V3 I can buy today, the LabRadar would be backordered. Both would be used for developing loads for 6.5 cr, .223 and 7saum when I get it built. Any thoughts would be appreciated, thanks.
I have both and definitely prefer the V3

+ on the Lab. The downside is you would probably have to order an external trigger for about $35. Other than that, it works well. Didn't like the way the MS attaches.

I use an external trigger for suppressed 22lr 😂

But for suppressed centerfire all you have to do is put the unit 12-18” in front of the muzzle (still 12 or 18” offset) and it works great with a suppressor.

I have been using my V3 for 5 years, and with a pic rail mount I made, for the last year. It has worked extremely well, and with my mount No POI shift. It is quick to mount, and always stays rock solid.
That said, I have been working on a more easily adjustable mount that will cover a broad range of rifles and even pistols with rails. I have prototypes being tested. Wish I could share pictures, but can't till we decide if we are going to market the mount. It will pack in the same space as the MS bayonet too.

I do believe the Magnetospeed is a must have device for the simple reason that they can be packed in your kit and carried with you wherever you go. (Try that with Lab Radar) Very important if you are deployed out of the country. Even if used with the strap, it gives you the correct velocity wherever you are, whatever the conditions are, no guessing! Everyone seems to agree that both units provide accurate velocities, so my vote is for Magnetospeed. And if money is not a problem, get both, LR has many nice capabilities, but it's not as easily carried with you.

I have the v3 with wiser mount and I've never had a problem. Guys I know with the LabRadar sometimes have a hard time getting it to read. To me even with all the setup I think the v3 is easier to use.

Attachments

• 20210420_131110.jpg
    20210420_131110.jpg
    404.3 KB · Views: 59
Agree 100%. My three "must have" accessories are a good USB power-brick, a top sight, and the JKL Precision recoil trigger. The trigger is super useful for when the guy on the next bench is shooting a 338 Lapua rifle with a Fat Bastard muzzle brake and every time he pulls the trigger, your Labradar goes "nuts". Trust me ... it'll happen ... and the recoil trigger works every time to make sure the only shot being recorded, is your own.
I agree, power brick let’s you avoid batteries, I made my own sight, and typically don’t shoot at the range. One thing I do is run the LabRadar app on my smart phone, so then I don’t have to fuss with the buttons on the unit!
I went straight from one of those sun shadey things to the labradar, and have never looked back!

If you shoot by yourself LabRadar 100%

If you shoot on a range with a bunch of goons then the msv3 100%

Thanks for all the info guys, got the V3 Friday, but the shipping box was damaged and the 2 rods I ordered either didn't make it in the order or slipped out of the box's damaged corner. Sent an email to MK's support dept, waiting to hear back. USPS isn't real careful I guess, lol. Box was smashed pretty flat.

You'll hear back tomorrow...we have had 3 shipments in the past week with escaped rods, they've been shipped the same way for two years, I have no idea what monkey is chucking boxes at light speed.

As for Magneto vs Labradar, bar none Labradar is a fickle beast. I see 0 advantage to the Labradar IF your setup can use my mount. Simply set it up and shoot. No aiming, just good data. Labradar you gotta aim, and aim well, maybe you need a trigger, you better not let it fall over, maybe you didn't get a reading your last 5 shots, etc.

I second this. Labradar is great.

You'll hear back tomorrow...we have had 3 shipments in the past week with escaped rods, they've been shipped the same way for two years, I have no idea what monkey is chucking boxes at light speed.

As for Magneto vs Labradar, bar none Labradar is a fickle beast. I see 0 advantage to the Labradar IF your setup can use my mount. Simply set it up and shoot. No aiming, just good data. Labradar you gotta aim, and aim well, maybe you need a trigger, you better not let it fall over, maybe you didn't get a reading your last 5 shots, etc.
Thanks Tyler, I had no worries.

If it was me unless you find a great deal on the magneto speed Id go with the lab raidar lots of little things it can do that the magneto can't that still either should work well for you good luck which ever you decide on .

Was out with a friend letting him use my LabRadar with the Quad Pod that they have made an official item. Sitting on the ground or on 30" PVC conduit legs was rock solid in 15 MPH winds.

I vote LabRadar.

I had a Magnetospeed V3, sold it and bought a LabRadar to replace it. I didn't want to have to buy a bunch of attachments and fiddle with different spacer combinations for different rifles, and the LabRadar just works better for me.

Darlene sent me an email Monday, said they were sending out replacements so I can maybe get out out Monday or Tuesday next week on my days off and play with it. Hats off to MK Machining for their fast attention to this. I really appreciate everyone's responses, it was a big help. I think the V3 setup will work well for me.