• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Magnetto speed sporter

Paul1262

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Jan 13, 2019
I have an MPA PMR PRO II in 6.5 cm with a 26" bull barrel (M24). Had a difficult time in getting reasonable velocity measurements today using the Magnetto speed. Is there a specific way to attach this equipment to ensure good results i.e. large vs small spacer when you have a bull barrel. Also, I would be interested in knowing what average velocities others were getting from Hornady 6.5 cm 140 g ELD match ammo using a similar barrel.

Thanks

Even though yours is a Sporter take a look at the alignment instructions for the V3:

Head to your local Ace hardware and get a 12" long piece of 1/4" brass/aluminum bar stock or square tubing.

In one of the threads here is a picture of someone using a suppressor alignment rod in the bore and a 1/4" thick aluminum flat to line things up as precisely as possible.

Even though yours is a Sporter take a look at the alignment instructions for the V3:

Head to your local Ace hardware and get a 12" long piece of 1/4" brass/aluminum bar stock or square tubing.

In one of the threads here is a picture of someone using a suppressor alignment rod in the bore and a 1/4" thick aluminum flat to line things up as precisely as possible.
Thanks

I get 2775 out of the current lot of that ammo I’m shooting at 60-70 degrees. It doesn’t seem to like cold weather, as it slows down AND gets a bigger spread. 26” 1:8 Krieger. In my 26” AXMC it’s probably 50 fps slower.

I get 2775 out of the current lot of that ammo I’m shooting at 60-70 degrees. It doesn’t seem to like cold weather, as it slows down AND gets a bigger spread. 26” 1:8 Krieger. In my 26” AXMC it’s probably 50 fps slower.
Thanks for the info.

Hornady uses 24" barrels to determine their fps on the box - 2710. I would anticipate the fps to be about 2710 plus another 50 fps for the extra 2" barrel length - 2760 fps. Does this make any sense?

It does, but it’s just a guess. There are too many variables. I have had some lots that were 2760s, and some lots with such terrible ES/SD they were horrible for anything over 1000 yds. As I said, it’s temp sensitive too (as compared to a hand load with a temp-stable powder). Then some barrels are just inherently fast or slow. (See my comment on different MVs from my Krieger vs AXMC (Bartlein) barrels with identical specs, using this same load). The AXMC barrel is just slower. Tikkas tend to run slow too, at least my 20” CTR does - even when accounting for the different barrel length as you did, and I’ve seen other owners report similar.

Until you get your chrono sorted out you could use 2760 in your calc and then true the MV based on observed drop at distance, then you’ll know for sure. The bullet doesn’t lie.

Reactions: Paul1262
It does, but it’s just a guess. There are too many variables. I have had some lots that were 2760s, and some lots with such terrible ES/SD they were horrible for anything over 1000 yds. As I said, it’s temp sensitive too (as compared to a hand load with a temp-stable powder). Then some barrels are just inherently fast or slow. (See my comment on different MVs from my Krieger vs AXMC (Bartlein) barrels with identical specs, using this same load). The AXMC barrel is just slower. Tikkas tend to run slow too, at least my 20” CTR does - even when accounting for the different barrel length as you did, and I’ve seen other owners report similar.

Until you get your chrono sorted out you could use 2760 in your calc and then true the MV based on observed drop at distance, then you’ll know for sure. The bullet doesn’t lie.
I ordered a MagnettoSpeed V3 today. I think part of my problem with the Sporter was that it's only good for a brake that is 2.7" or less. The V3 accommodates a larger brake. Planning on waiting for the V3 and whatever the average fps shows is what I will use. Obtaining consistent handloads with the availability of components and variations with factory loads can drive someone nuts.

If your still fighting consistent v3 readings attached to the barrel you can "build" a offside mount. I use a small pic rail section with the cheapest 1 inch weaver scope rings i could get, 1 inch tubing and flat strap. The end ring holding the bayonet i removed the cross bolt and ears then drilled and tapped the bottom for a bolt. This combo works fine on my 7mm rem with a sidewinder brake
20200827_203855.jpg
20200827_203845.jpg

Reactions: ECP307
If your still fighting consistent v3 readings attached to the barrel you can "build" a offside mount. I use a small pic rail section with the cheapest 1 inch weaver scope rings i could get, 1 inch tubing and flat strap. The end ring holding the bayonet i removed the cross bolt and ears then drilled and tapped the bottom for a bolt. This combo works fine on my 7mm rem with a sidewinder brakeView attachment 7844672View attachment 7844673
If your still fighting consistent v3 readings attached to the barrel you can "build" a offside mount. I use a small pic rail section with the cheapest 1 inch weaver scope rings i could get, 1 inch tubing and flat strap. The end ring holding the bayonet i removed the cross bolt and ears then drilled and tapped the bottom for a bolt. This combo works fine on my 7mm rem with a sidewinder brakeView attachment 7844672View attachment 7844673
Thanks. That's an excellent approach to solving the problem. My muzzle break exceeds the Sporter limit of 2.7". The v3 accomodates a larger break and should solve my problem. I appreciate the time you spent on providing this response.

Thanks. That's an excellent approach to solving the problem. My muzzle break exceeds the Sporter limit of 2.7". The v3 accomodates a larger break and should solve my problem. I appreciate the time you spent on providing this response.
Sure thing, an ah yes your correct i had a mix up of the v3 and sporter... my thought process after graveyard shifts is typically scrambled haha