• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Magnification advice for 20” 6.5cm. 18x vs 30x

half_duplex

Private
Minuteman
Aug 13, 2020
I’m scoping a Tikka CTR 6.5cm 20” barrel for consistent hits at 1000 yards to a 12” steel target at least. Im shooting in Northern AZ where I’d be able to setup at longer distance if I wanted to. The rifle is mainly for fun, learn a new shooting skill.

I’m deciding between Steiners 18x and 30x (Camera Land).

The 18x would be a better fit on the 20” barrel and probably a more flexible rifle, and I’m wondering if the 30x would be a bit big for the rifle.

On the other hand I don’t want to be limited by magnification and regret going smaller.

Looking for opinions as I’ve never owned anything more than 5x.

Thanks!

I’m putting a 4-32 on an 18 inch barrel. You’ll be fine with 30, doesn’t mean you have to stay maxed out on zoom all the time.

Get the 30x. Not that much longer and having more power is good at times.

The 30x is 15.75” and 2 1/4” more than the 18x. Rifle overall is 40” with 20” barrel. I didn’t think ~2” was unreasonable for the additional power, but it might look to fill up the rifle.

I’m putting a 4-32 on an 18 inch barrel. You’ll be fine with 30, doesn’t mean you have to stay maxed out on zoom all the time.

What’s are the dimensions on the 32? I was considering the form factor. The 18x would keep things compact and might make for a less wieldy package.

What’s are the dimensions on the 32? I was considering the form factor. The 18x would keep things compact and might make for a less wieldy package.
It’s 13.4 inches long. Here is a mock up of the rifle minus the rings and a real barrel. Maybe change the stock to a pro hunter as well
4800786B-418B-4CF2-810E-AAEE776A5F1D.jpeg

The 30x is 15.75” and 2 1/4” more than the 18x. Rifle overall is 40” with 20” barrel. I didn’t think ~2” was unreasonable for the additional power, but it might look to fill up the rifle.

If the scope is not hanging over the end of the barrel then it's fine. ;) I have a 5-30 Match Pro ED on my 20" .308 now. Works fine.

Is your broom stick 18”? If so, that’s pretty close to 40” right?

That said, the T6xi 30x is 15.75”. Your NF is roughly the dimension of the 18x.
Yes the dowel is 18 inches, have not measured overall length as there will still be a muzzle device added.

The 30 will fit fine and leave you room optically

This place is terrible for your wallet. I was having the same debate about what scope to get for a 22” 6.5 creed I’m building, and this thread has sold me on looking for a 25-30x top end instead of the 18-21x I was originally planning.

This place is terrible for your wallet. I was having the same debate about what scope to get for a 22” 6.5 creed I’m building, and this thread has sold me on looking for a 25-30x top end instead of the 18-21x I was originally planning.

I was hoping I’d get talked out of the 30x. It’s just a learning experience for me so the smaller package was a plus and the 18x sounded like a little more of a challenge. 18x would have made for a decent hunting rifle too. Get the Steiner 18x and we can trade if you don’t like it.

I mean if you want to get niche… some lower magnification optics reticles scale better on lower power when paired with night vision. A lot of NV work happens on lower power and if you’re planning on using holdovers on the reticle that would be a factor.