• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Magnification for different applications

pepperbelly

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 7, 2006
Fort Worth, Texas
I have read a LOT of posts here about what power scope someone should have. 10X is a very popular choice.
I shoot for group size and a 10X scope is pretty low power for pure target shooting. I can see the advantage if shooting at a silouette style target- paper or steel.
How hard is it to get small groups at 200+ yards with a 10X scope?
I understand that higher power means less light, but is a 16X scope that much dimmer that it isn't useable in almost every situation? I know that when hunting you need all the light gathering you can get when shooting near dawn and dusk, and real life snipers need that- their lives and other's lives depend on it.
But most of us shoot matches and for fun. Is the 16X and 20X that bad in the matches? I have a couple of scopes that are variable, both are 6.5-20x40. I haven't found a situation yet where having it cranked up to 20X is a problem. In fact I usually don't turn it down.
I will freely admit that I just may have not found myself in a situation where it does become a problem.

My question is in exactly what situation(s) does it become a problem having a fixed power scope with too much magnification?
Can a larger objective make up for the loss of brightness when using a higher powered scope?
I like my variables but can see the advantage of a fixed power scope and was thinking about getting a SS 16X for my .308.

No flames please. I would really like to hear sifferent opinions and see if this discussion can help me and others understand more about optics.

Jim

Re: Magnification for different applications

pepperbelly - I'm in the same camp as you. I prefer as high of a magnification as I can get, and I usually just leave it there. (I shoot bench, target.)

Although, I think I might be guilty of wanting to use my riflescope as a spotting scope, at the same time... haha

Field of View!

The problem with fixed high magnification comes when you need to engage multiple targets at closer range or at a distance with a large separation.

It also causes a problem in a tactical situation when you have a range of openings where the target may appear. In the last "scenario" training we did I was covering the side of a school approximately 75 yards away. I had to back my magnification down to 4x to be able to see all of the possible openings where the suspect could appear.

For target shooting I don't see a problem with high magnification as long as you aren't sacrificing clarity. When I am doing load development for my rifle I rarely dial the magnification off of 14x.

I was also wondering about trying to get tight groups with a dot in the middle of the crosshairs. I can definately see where it would help in a tactical situation. I use a reddot on my .22 and .45acp when shooting plate matches.
The field of view would also come into play for hunting scopes.

Does anyone shoot with both eyes open? I have tried for the last several decades and can't manage to do it.

Jim

Most of the time I do shoot with both eyes open. This is especially true with pistols and carbines. With optics equipped rifles it depends on the ambient lighting. I find that on a really bright day in the sun I have a hard time getting a clear sight picture with both eyes fully open. In that case I will partially close the non-dominant eye. This seems to help and doesn't cause my dominant eye to squint.

What you have to remember is that the aiming portion of the reticle does not need to be smaller than the target to be able to get tight groups. I can put a tiny .25" dot in the middle of a sheet of notebook paper, then put that out at 500 yards. There is no way I will be able to see that dot and the reticle will completely cover it. However I can just quarter the paper with the reticle and get a precise aiming point. The same goes with irons at long range.

the more you play the more savvy you become......

movers require that the power be backed off...

even more so when hunting...lots of pigs and dear i scored are at very low power settings

know what power setting allow accurate ranging for your glass.

the good glass retains poa/poi through the entire power range

you get what you pay for

I have a SS 10x coming soon. I can check the differences for myself. I will keep the leupold 6.5-20x40 EFR on my Anschutz.

Jim