• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

magnification whores, check this out

I like it a lot. It checks all of the boxes that everyone always goes on about.

- MH6 tree reticle
- .2 mil gradations
- zero stop
- 10 yard parallax
- 8 times power range

Add to that, it includes the 40mm rings so you don’t have to go trying to find a unicorn. Plus the price, while spendy, is under the price for a Nightforce 7-35 and I know that Sightron will deliver on the glass side of things. This just may be the Sightron holy grail that fans have been waiting for.

Reactions: rhsc

- MH6 tree reticle
- .2 mil gradations
- zero stop
- 10 yard parallax
- 8 times power range

Add to that, it includes the 40mm rings so you don’t have to go trying to find a unicorn. Plus the price, while spendy, is under the price for a Nightforce 7-35 and I know that Sightron will deliver on the glass side of things. This just may be the Sightron holy grail that fans have been waiting for.

Sure they're included, but if that set of rings doesn't work for your rifle setup, you're kinda hosed.

Reactions: lash

- MH6 tree reticle
- .2 mil gradations
- zero stop
- 10 yard parallax
- 8 times power range

I'd be happy if it was only a 4-20 with all the other features.

Reactions: moosemeat
Sightron pulling their finger out finally, looks good .
1.35kg and almost 17" is hefty

93E742FB-00DB-432C-B35D-DAF53111627F.jpeg

B6E0A717-E760-4A3E-9CB1-4B208EE48C4C.jpeg

Sightron pulling their finger out finally, looks good .
1.35kg and almost 17" is hefty
True, but consider that the most likely customers for this will be PRS types and ELR guys, that weight means little. This is obviously not a hunting scope, except maybe for Pdog guys and again weight is less of an issue.

Sure they're included, but if that set of rings doesn't work for your rifle setup, you're kinda hosed.
True enough.

- MH6 tree reticle
- .2 mil gradations
- zero stop
- 10 yard parallax
- 8 times power range

71D7DA48-D300-4E21-A091-6ECFC76BE0A3.jpeg

True, but consider that the most likely customers for this will be PRS types and ELR guys, that weight means little. This is obviously not a hunting scope, except maybe for Pdog guys and again weight is less of an issue.

True enough.
Yeah no doubt they have a specific crowd , it's good to have options . Certainly won't be putting it on grandpa's m70 in 270

That image makes me want to slap whomever added '@ 100 meters' to click value and adjustment range. Just list the MIL values and leave it be, dammit.
Marketing guys are gonna market. They don’t necessarily know what they are talking about. It would be nice if they tried having an actual knowledgeable person review the materials first, but it seems to always be the case that that step tends to get short shrift.

Nice! I was wondering what the heck Sightron was doing (being a Sightron fan myself), they dropped the SV 4.5-24 from their lineup, and added the SIII PLR series which look like fine scopes but they're not really a replacement for the SV ED series, so seemed strange, but I guess this is it. I wonder what street price will be.

#1. What is the exit pupil size on 30x? and 40x? An exit Pupil below 3mm gets dim and shitty. Generally this the the Bell/mag = Exit Pupil so that will be 1.866 at 30x and 1.4 on 40x. The clarity is going to be very difficult at that level not to mention the eye box.
#2. that reticle looks really close to this one we all worked on here on the hide. I am glad someone is watching.

thinking-out-loud-a-reticle-for-the-oem-crew
1626279725056.png

#1. What is the exit pupil size on 30x? and 40x? An exit Pupil below 3mm gets dim and shitty. Generally this the the Bell/mag = Exit Pupil so that will be 1.866 at 30x and 1.4 on 40x. The clarity is going to be very difficult at that level not to mention the eye box.
#2. that reticle looks really close to this one we all worked on here on the hide. I am glad someone is watching.

View attachment 7667889
I have a Sightron 10-50x60 and yes the image is sharper at 20x (3mm pupil) than at 50x (1.2mm pupil). But what is lost in image quality is more than made up for by having an image more than twice as big.

There are diminishing returns, and I often shoot best at less than 50x, but the sweet spot is more like 40x than 20x.

Reactions: lash
I can only speak from experience using Nightforce and March in F-class at 600 and 1000 yards. I don't know of anyone using a Sightron in F-class, though I'm sure there must be a few. The main ones are March, NF, Kahles, and I see some Vortices (Vortexes?) from time to time.

I shoot my March-X 10-60X56 HM at 50X all the time, year round in South Texas. Before that riflescope I shot a Nightforce NXS 12-42X56 at 40X most times, or dialed down to 30X when the mirage was bad. The NF doesn't hold a candle (in the wind?) to the March-X 10-60X56 HM when the mirage shows up. I will only refer to the March-X now, because that's all I've been using since 2012, and only the HM since 2019. My vision has changed since I used the Nightforce NXS.

The exit pupil at 50X is 1.12mm in diameter. That is not an issue for me when I'm in prone position behind my F-TR rifle. I would think it would be an issue in most other setups. But for F-Class that is perfect. I can actually see the writing on the NRA LR-1FC target at 1000 yards. I can't read it. I also see the ring numbers, but cannot read them. I do sometimes use them to hold on target; very useful when you need to hold a couple lines to the side. The picture of the target is clear and sharp, and when the mirage roams, you can actually detect the river it makes in the scope but the target is still sharp.

This past weekend, I shot a 1000 yard match in atrocious wet, damp, sticky, hot, muggy conditions (90f+, 130%+ humidity). It was one of my better outings in a while and I shot 196-10X in the first match. I had two pairs of 9s because I was not paying attention closely enough to the conditions. However for that 20 shot string, I had 10 of them in the X-ring, which is 0.5MOA in diameter. At one point, I had 5 Xs in a row, preceded by a 10 and followed by a 10 as the last shot of the string. My hold on that final 7-shot string was the ring number between the 9 and the 8 ring, that was with the additional windage dialed in the scope. With my March HM scope, I could place the center dot of the MTR-5 right on the ring number because I could see it.

This is where quality glass makes a difference. Yes, the exit pupil is small, but in my March HM, it's superb IQ and very usable.

Does that make me a magnification whore? You betcha, but I have the scope that provides excellent quality magnified IQ. And I have set it up on my rifle with a 30MOA cant; I want to use as close to the middle of the optical path as possible for 1000 yards.

(Before you ask, my next two strings were not as good, but out of 60 shots for record for the day, I coaxed 23 of them into the half-MOA X-ring. That's 46% of my shots inside of 0.5 MOA at 1000 yards with a .308. At the same time, the F-open winner had 54% Xs. I think he has a 7mm of some kind.)

Is sightron on the same level as Huskemaw and Quiggly?

I'm kind of a Sightron fanboy and I think that's pretty damn funny right there! It's not too far from my own initial impression of the brand.

When I first became interested in shooting at longer ranges, I didn't know anything about Sightron (or much else really) and assumed they were just another generic import optic. As I started paying more attention, I saw that they had a rep for making pretty solid scopes at a decent price, and bought an SIII. While it lacks features, the optical/mechanical performance of that 6-24 is very good for the money. I've also got an SV 4.5-24 now, and believe it to be an excellent scope for non-competitive shooting.

Sightron's newest models appear to address the remaining deficiencies that have held them back from wider use and better sales. It'll be interesting to see how they perform head-to-head against the more established scopes in PRS and the related shooting disciplines.

Last edited:
liked it up to the 3k + price why pay 3k when I can get a 5x50 for under 1700 delivered , I do wish them lots of luck with selling that just not for me .

Reactions: Earnhardt
I'm kind of a Sightron fanboy and I think that's pretty damn funny right there! It's not too far from my own initial impression of the brand.

When I first became interested in shooting at longer ranges, I didn't know anything about Sightron (or much else really) and assumed they were just another generic import optic. As I started paying more attention, I saw that they had a rep for making pretty solid scopes at a decent price, and bought an SIII. While it lacks features, the optical/mechanical performance of that 6-24 is very good for the money. I've also got an SV 4.5-24 now, and believe it to be an excellent scope for non-competitive shooting.

Sightron's newest models appear to address the remaining deficiencies that held them back from wider use and better sales. It'll be interesting to see how they perform head-to-head against the more established scopes in PRS and the related shooting disciplines.
Similarly, an SIII was my first decently high scope (for me at the time). I used mine for over two years and many matches, enough to wear out a .260 barrel without a hitch. Except of course, the two times I forgot what turn I was on and zeroed a stage. The simple mil-hash reticle never really held me back, but ultimately the lack of zero stop had me moving on.

I never had a problem seeing anything with that 30mm scope and saw more than some with fancier scopes. Thus the soft spot I have for them.

40mm tube does not excite me, but it does give Valdada users something to upgrade to 😉. March has had a 5-40x56 for years, biggest deficit was lack of good tree reticle, but that has changed with the PDKi reticle in the Gen II. This Sightron should do well as they’ve always tended to punch above their class optics wise.

liked it up to the 3k + price why pay 3k when I can get a 5x50 for under 1700 delivered , I do wish them lots of luck with selling that just not for me .

That’s kinda what I said about a Zero Compromise....Until I shot a rifle under actual conditions. When I got back to the shop, I called Jeff, bought one and became a ZCo dealer.

Sightron's newest models appear to address the remaining deficiencies that have held them back from wider use and better sales. It'll be interesting to see how they perform head-to-head against the more established scopes in PRS and the related shooting disciplines.
Sounds very similar to my story, other than I do use my SVSSED 4.5-24 for competition. Why do you say it doesn't fit that purpose?

Sounds very similar to my story, other than I do use my SVSSED 4.5-24 for competition. Why do you say it doesn't fit that purpose?
I have #12 of the very first 4.5-24's to hit the shores of the US, before they added the ZS.
It is a badass scope.
Very good glass, solid clicks, good eye box and I happen to like the reticle.
I think that they'll be back, after they re-engineer the internals for the new ZS (I hope so anyway)

Similarly, an SIII was my first decently high scope (for me at the time). I used mine for over two years and many matches, enough to wear out a .260 barrel without a hitch. Except of course, the two times I forgot what turn I was on and zeroed a stage. The simple mil-hash reticle never really held me back, but ultimately the lack of zero stop had me moving on.

I never had a problem seeing anything with that 30mm scope and saw more than some with fancier scopes. Thus the soft spot I have for them.
SIII is amazing glass. I figured out how to work around the lack of ZS, not as convenient for sure but since Sightron marks the turret post I could memorize which hash mark was zero. Could add a little mark with a knife or something too. Anyways, I have a similar soft spot for them based on my SIII experience.

I have #12 of the very first 4.5-24's to hit the shores of the US, before they added the ZS.
It is a badass scope.
Very good glass, solid clicks, good eye box and I happen to like the reticle.
I think that they'll be back, after they re-engineer the internals for the new ZS (I hope so anyway)
I like mine very much, got mine without the ZS even when ZS was available. :) As mentioned I don't worry about ZS, I do realize from reading this forum I'm probably in the minority on that. I find it nice but not necessary as I can easily memorize/mark where my zero is on the turret post. Plus, especially at PRS/NRL ranges, it's pretty darn rare to go above that first revolution. It will be very interesting to see what happens with this new scope, has all the features plus I assume the legendary Sightron glass and tracking, but the price definitely moves it into maybe not as much a value scope as the SIIIs were. Sightrons have for the most part been unused by the tactical world, will be interesting to see if that changes or if people aren't willing to pay the money.

SIII is amazing glass. I figured out how to work around the lack of ZS, not as convenient for sure but since Sightron marks the turret post I could memorize which hash mark was zero. Could add a little mark with a knife or something too. Anyways, I have a similar soft spot for them based on my SIII experience.
Funny you should mention that, I actually did mark the post with my knife right after the second time it happened. I’ve since used that same method on a couple other older, non-zero stop scopes in my stable.

Reactions: archangel485
My example lacks a zero stop. Not something that can't be dealt with (as you point out) but not optimal for competition.

Last edited:

View attachment 7667889

exactly your design :D

but I like sightron's more, because it has all numbers on the elevation line, not just even ones. but on windage line only even numbers would be better.

My example lacks a zero stop. Not something that can't be dealt with (as you point out) but not optimal for competition.
Unless you are only doing flyshoot or something at 500 yards and it isn'tworth spending on parts, you don't really need a zerostop if you run an appropriate canted rail/mount/rings as your shouldn't end up with any more than half a turn or so of elevation below zero to end of range.

Reactions: Emerson0311
I don't know of anyone using a Sightron in F-class, though I'm sure there must be a few. The main ones are March, NF, Kahles, and I see some Vortices (Vortexes?) from time to time.

I was thinking the same thing when I saw the comment that Sightron dominates.........

Reactions: Denys
sightron SIII 10-50x60 1/8 MOA is quite common in entry levels of riflescopes for f-class, at least in europe

Just received my SVIII 5-40X56.

I apologize for grammatical errors in advance…immigrant here!

Disclaimer: I don’t work for Sightron nor I am getting any reward for this review. I paid for the scope with my own money.

First impression is that the thing feels/looks HUGE. It seems, however, that it’s size is exaggerated by a 40mm main tube and pretty big turrets as it doesn’t appear much bigger than my Kahles when put side by side. It is noticeably heavier, by a pound to be exact. Not an issue for me as it will be used either for PRS or ELR style shooting.

Fit and finish appears to be very high quality. Parallax, eyepiece and mag rings are very smooth and have just about perfect amount of resistance, which is subjective and preferential of course. I like them on a stiffer side.

Turrets…again things are effing HUGE, which I personally like. It allows for a “larger click spacing” and larger number markings. It also has a number marking every 0.5 mil. I do wish clicks were a bit more stiff and tactile, but I never really understood why people make such a big deal about the way turret feel. As long as they track and have enough resistance to stay in place I don’t really give a shit, but again you are entitled to your own preferences. These turrets feel very much like Mark 5 turrets to me. They are 10mrad per revolution and I counted a total of 42.9MRAD of internal adjustment!!!

Zero Stop is of a simple, robust and very common design. Nothing to complain about here. See pics.

RETICLE!
Reticle was my main concern considering that the center dot and stadia lines are 0.03MRAD according to Sightron (center dot looks smaller than stadia lines to me). That combined with an 8x erector made me wonder if the reticle is unusable/unreadable at lower powers. I was pleasantly surprised that it was nowhere near as bad as I anticipated. At 10X I can read .2mrad hash marks, but can’t see 0.03mrad center and “tree” dots that are located at every .5mrad. I can, however, see 0.075mrad “tree” dots that are at every mil. At 12X I can see everything on the reticle, but it’s still very small and I can already hear bitching from PRS guys that suck at “pointing” their rifles and like to shoot around 12X. At 15X no one should have any complaints about seeing every bit of information on the reticle. The reticle really starts to shine from 15X all the way to 40X. The center dot and smaller “tree” dots remain fine and unobstructive. Even larger 0.075mrad dots are still fine at 40X. I am so far a huge fan of this reticle and I think Sightron NAILED IT! I’ve been seeing a trend of PRS shooters going away from “tree” reticles lately and going to something like NF’s MIL-C. I personally still like more info on my reticle, but I can’t think of a single time/stage I needed all the shit in my SKMR3 or Mil-XT reticle during a PRS match. I think this reticle is a good balance between something like Mil-XT and Mil-C. It still has plenty of information yet it is not cluttered by crap you may use once in a blue moon. Great job Sightron!

Illumination…it works as it should. Has 11 settings with off in between each setting. It does bleed over if you turn it up to high as any etched reticle would. It does get very bright!

Optical quality. I haven’t spent nowhere nearly enough time on it yet to give an opinion, but after spending about 30 mins on it until sunset today and looking at trees and pine cones around 400 yards away I can tell you that it blows my Kahles K624i out of the water in clarity/resolution, contrast and depth of field! I never thought Kahles was optically impressive though. The glass seems to be GREAT! Besides that the eye relief is very good and consistent throughout the mag range, eyebox is surprisingly generous even on 40x.
The side focus! Thing will focus at 40X across my living room.

Other: I like the screw in metal scope caps that came with it. I don’t care about flip-ups as I usually take them off when I shoot anyway.

Now the bad: SCOPE RINGS…WTF? I have larger more robust rings on my hunting rifles. The rings the scope came with are made by Contessa, which I have no experience with. They retail for about $125, are steel and machining appears of good quality. I just don’t think they are robust enough nor have enough contact surface area with the scope or the rifle. It is a 3lb+ scope after all. I feel that a one piece mount is a must for a scope of this size/weight. I already ordered a Spuhr.
I hope someone from Sightron reads this…trust me any one of us who is willing to spend $2799 on a premium scope isn’t going to be happy with these rings. Lower the price of the scope by whatever your cost of these rings is and let us pick our own mounts. Most of us are gonna get mounts with 20-30MOA inclination to get the most adjustment. There are great options out there like Spuhr, ARC and ADM.
The other possible negative effect of these rings may be that less knowledgeable people/new shooters will blame the loss of zero on the scope and fill the internet with bad reviews. Back in a day when I worked at a gun shop I’ve seen it on numerous occasions when people brought us back NF’s, Razors and other high end scopes, that they mounted in cheap rings,saying they don’t hold zero.

Stand by for an update. Going to take it to the range this weekend and do a side by side comparison with a Kahles, ZP5 and NF 7-35x56F1 on targets out to a mile and check tracking. I’ll report back on Sunday.

Attachments

• 945CA226-1A7B-4A5B-B653-5F6F083A067E.jpeg
    945CA226-1A7B-4A5B-B653-5F6F083A067E.jpeg
    357.8 KB · Views: 333
  • D51EC3C1-8FC9-40F6-97A1-441CAFA2753C.jpeg
    D51EC3C1-8FC9-40F6-97A1-441CAFA2753C.jpeg
    346.4 KB · Views: 328
  • 5FC0D757-A37E-4BC3-8F8A-56146D332600.jpeg
    5FC0D757-A37E-4BC3-8F8A-56146D332600.jpeg
    583.8 KB · Views: 344
  • 0EBF2246-9673-41D1-9E12-B4326D4F57EB.jpeg
    0EBF2246-9673-41D1-9E12-B4326D4F57EB.jpeg
    436.2 KB · Views: 328
  • B9EEE0D6-11DE-472E-A6C8-85A628BE1874.jpeg
    B9EEE0D6-11DE-472E-A6C8-85A628BE1874.jpeg
    437.3 KB · Views: 366
  • C1F557E4-E586-49B0-84D4-4D662155211C.jpeg
    C1F557E4-E586-49B0-84D4-4D662155211C.jpeg
    385 KB · Views: 345
  • F552A096-AF9E-4BAA-A493-BD11212623FF.jpeg
    F552A096-AF9E-4BAA-A493-BD11212623FF.jpeg
    412.5 KB · Views: 354
  • DD5B3D26-9957-414E-AEBA-5A4B72B1FA29.jpeg
    DD5B3D26-9957-414E-AEBA-5A4B72B1FA29.jpeg
    402.1 KB · Views: 339
  • 3C5EF590-485E-4E9D-917C-A079560C5F6F.jpeg
    3C5EF590-485E-4E9D-917C-A079560C5F6F.jpeg
    192.6 KB · Views: 348
  • 2BD975F7-1968-4918-BD33-115B203269C7.jpeg
    2BD975F7-1968-4918-BD33-115B203269C7.jpeg
    408.1 KB · Views: 386
  • 9D8672FC-5922-42F2-9C3A-CD6C7CB2953D.jpeg
    9D8672FC-5922-42F2-9C3A-CD6C7CB2953D.jpeg
    404.9 KB · Views: 366
  • 14C70ADA-5981-4FF4-ADCD-B375363E5EE0.jpeg
    14C70ADA-5981-4FF4-ADCD-B375363E5EE0.jpeg
    704.2 KB · Views: 342
  • 7C75C984-9851-4146-8F8F-7D3F75522A7A.jpeg
    7C75C984-9851-4146-8F8F-7D3F75522A7A.jpeg
    364.7 KB · Views: 330
  • 7A2F0EA3-DEC5-4AAA-BF24-3BA6E0C52F31.jpeg
    7A2F0EA3-DEC5-4AAA-BF24-3BA6E0C52F31.jpeg
    638.5 KB · Views: 417
Last edited:
Nice review Tony. Do you notice much/any CA? How about tunneling at low power? Edge-to-edge clarity? Any noticeable color bias? My Sightrons tend to look a tiny bit "cool" to me. I'm with you about those rings; they wouldn't inspire a whole lot of confidence.

Nice review Tony. Do you notice much/any CA? How about tunneling at low power? Edge-to-edge clarity? Any noticeable color bias? My Sightrons tend to look a tiny bit "cool" to me. I'm with you about those rings; they wouldn't inspire a whole lot of confidence.
Thanks, bud!
I will look for those things this weekend and report back. I am fortunate to live close to a 1 mile long range with all types of targets and other objects that I can observe to evaluate optics.

Reactions: rhsc
I was thinking the same thing when I saw the comment that Sightron dominates.........
They're very popular where they have dealers.

They have zero marketing budget, so it's kinda "if you don't know, you don't know."

I have some SII that are over 20 years old now. Specialty stuff like 1/8moa turrets with a tiny center dot is awesome for shooting tiny groups. Sucks for practical use because of all the reasons it's great at fixed distance.

Well, just got back from the range and here is my impression after a side by side comparison of the new SVIII to NF 7-35x56, K624i and a Minox ZP5. To no surprise ZP5 optically outperformed every other scope. Kahles was optically the worst with exception of field of view. NF and Sightron were very comparable as far as clarity/resolution and contrast. So from now on I’m gonna concentrate on comparing those 2. NF was a bit easier to focus. SVIII focus is a bit sensitive. Similar field of view on 35x. Both scopes had right around 11 mrads of field of view. Both scopes had very similar color fidelity favoring white. No CA that I could induce. I know what makes my Kahles fringe purple and yellow and tried to replicate it with SVIII. To be honest if it wasn’t for the reticle I dont think I would be able to tell wether I was behind NF or SVIII. What else can I say? …No tunneling. Clear edge to edge. No degradation of IQ when turrets are crunk to their limits, however, focus changes and has to be tweaked and also becomes more sensitive. I had 24mrad of upper travel left in the scope on a 20MOA rail.
I didn’t do the tall target/box test, but I’ve shot out to 1270 yards and turrets matched my ballistic calculator.
Im pretty happy with the new sightron considering it’s seems to be optically comparable to an ATACR even with an 8x erector vs 5x on NF. Don’t really have anything negative to say about it except the rings and I know that some of you are gonna hate the way these turrets feel.

Attachments

• FA9797A3-086A-4B3F-8E5A-A055E6B8D060.jpeg
    FA9797A3-086A-4B3F-8E5A-A055E6B8D060.jpeg
    619.1 KB · Views: 193